Reflector star telescope questions

[]_--__[]KITT

Hi guys sometime ago I asked in this forum for advice on buying telescope. I got my telescope just the other day now I have some questions about it. I joined a local astronomy forum but it's too quiet there.

So let me shoot them out

1. My sighting scope is 180 degree upside down which I have understood. But my main scope is NOT exactly 180 degree upside down but it's more like 150 degree upside down(rather slanted), So is there something wrong with my main scope because the view is not exactly being 180 degree upside down? I actually (managed to) tempered with the reflecting piece in the interior front of my main scope as I thought that thing obstructed the view and needed to be removed prior using so I dumbly unfastened the three screws which hold the reflecting piece together in front of my scope. I didn't manage to remove it and halfway I realized that I made a (terrible) mistake so I fastened the screws back:redface:. But it seemed unchanged nonetheless.

If my view being slanted have anything to do with my tampering with the reflector piece on day one...is it possible to readjust the reflecting piece back without having to open the main scope?

2. I tried looking at stars last night despite less than favorable weather condition. I managed to get a glimpse on a yellowish star with 35 magnification and 56 magnification but in both cases the core of the star was obstructed by my reflecting piece. Is this because the star is too small(too far away) so the center was obstructed by my reflecting piece in the interior front of my main scope?

In case you're wondering what scope I bought:

Astronomico's 76700AL.

Diameter 76mm

Length: 700m

Lenses: 20mm, 12,5mm, 4mm with erecting eyepiece and barlow and moon filter lense.

Thanks

Greetings,

Check that the "spider" (reflecting small mirror) is exactly centered on the main reflector mirror. Do this by looking through the eye piece hole (without the eye piece installed). When you look through the eyepiece hole you should be able to see the reflection of the (open) top end of the telescope tube in the diagonal mirror.

If the "spider" mirror is not aligned perfectly your final viewing image will be distorted or fuzzy and may cause the problem you have. Your normal viewed image should be of a complete object, you will not see the "spider" mirror in the image.

Also check that the main objective mirror has not moved, and if there are "adjusting" screws at the bottom of the body "DON'T" tighten them if they appear loose. These screws set the focusing angle and are used to set the final align the objective mirror.

If your having problems with help at the astro sights, first DON'T tell them that you "screwed with" the scope. I'd suggest that you ask them if this is "normal" for this type of scope. Remember, you have a lower end of the "Dobsonian" style telescopes so they may be some "resistance" at helping you.

You can also check at some Dobsonian telescope home build sites on the web, they have some helpful hints and resources.

Here's some sites with some helpful info:

http://web.telia.com/~u41105032/myths/myths.htm

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=3049

Use what you need ..... Later ..... 9erRed

Greetings,

Check that the "spider" (reflecting small mirror) is exactly centered on the main reflector mirror. Do this by looking through the eye piece hole (without the eye piece installed). When you look through the eyepiece hole you should be able to see the reflection of the (open) top end of the telescope tube in the diagonal mirror.

If the "spider" mirror is not aligned perfectly your final viewing image will be distorted or fuzzy and may cause the problem you have. Your normal viewed image should be of a complete object, you will not see the "spider" mirror in the image.

Also check that the main objective mirror has not moved, and if there are "adjusting" screws at the bottom of the body "DON'T" tighten them if they appear loose. These screws set the focusing angle and are used to set the final align the objective mirror.

If your having problems with help at the astro sights, first DON'T tell them that you "screwed with" the scope. I'd suggest that you ask them if this is "normal" for this type of scope. Remember, you have a lower end of the "Dobsonian" style telescopes so they may be some "resistance" at helping you.

You can also check at some Dobsonian telescope home build sites on the web, they have some helpful hints and resources.

Here's some sites with some helpful info:

http://web.telia.com/~u41105032/myths/myths.htm

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=3049

Use what you need ..... Later ..... 9erRed

Thx 9erRed. well I saw the spider last night:redface:. I've downloaded a pdf manual of Meade reflector telescope. I'll check the link you gave me.