Running a server

Guest EuroOtto

Guest EuroOtto

OK. It was good to ask before we buy. So we are not angry and wasted no money. :)

But its astounding that a 125 Dollar Game has no server files. For linux is one thing but for windows too...

OK. It was good to ask before we buy. So we are not angry and wasted no money. :)

But its astounding that a 125 Dollar Game has no server files. For linux is one thing but for windows too...

It is a $125 lite edition of a multi-thousand dollar training software. It is available to the general public, but it is not specifically intended as an entertainment product.

Peer-peer networking provides an adequate experience for the 8 player limit on the standard product, and there is an unlimited client version available at eSim Games's discretion where the user's presence and bandwidth makes this beneficial to the community.

• Members

The problem of the "PE Server" is that it essentially is a normal PE version, just with no player limit when setting up a network session. This was simple and quick to code, the problem is that it requires a decent 3D graphics card in the server which very few servers actually have.

Having said that, there is the Server of SteelBeasts.eu, and the one of SteelBeasts.com. I wouldn't rule out the option that either site was willing to grant you time slots for some "clan time". Not all is lost here, it seems.

Guest EuroOtto

I guess that should be a joke. We run a redorchestra 64 slot server and a cod5 44 slot server for example.

A 8 player multiplayer mode is a little bit... unattractive. But iam sure there are a lot of people who like that.

Some people think, that a good game (a simulator is a game too, if its for private use) is living from its multiplayer support. A good example is redorchestra. it came out 2006 and runs till today, because of its exellent support of linux files and the possibility of having 64 slots and bot support. It costs only 15 bugs. But i know that steel beasts is a very complex simulator what makes its attraktiv or thats the argument for the price. But is it really appropriate today not having such a thing like dedicated server files. All the games i know that didnt supported them were not really successful.

Well with negotiation you could aquire a unlimited PE licencse, which means you could host more than 8 players, in a game of PE. However it is not the full on Pro version with umpires etc, that is State Armed Forces only.

A "normal" PC would struggle with this PE unlimited multi player load, and you would need a very good connection. Server in a server farm would do it just fine.

PzBtn 911 have a server setup and it works okay.

(when the moons are in the right aliginment, lol)

However, this is a very in depth simulation, requiring a few hours to get to grips with the basics.

Guest EuroOtto

I read the german manual. I deeply inform me before i buy something. So i really know what your game is. Lets end this thread.

You have the best game on this planet as i now know and you need no server files. Thx for the effort. And... Dark Angle... thats exactly we will do, because those games have linux server files.... ;)

EuroOtto Steelbeast Pro PE is no game Like Battlefield 2 or anything other in this direction.

Games like BF oder Cod had a bigger Comunity and so there is a better Serversupport for Linux and other OS.

SB is a Simulation that going deeper into Tank taktiks like any other Wargame like BF.

for more information visit ...85...14...216....250... then the url www.steelbeasts.eu is at moment not running....

Edited by SteelClaw

Guest EuroOtto

Thank you for your link. I repeat, i know what SB is. I play DCS Black Shark and LogON. I still do not see any argument that speaks against having dedicated server files... is there only one good reason to have none? OK it costs money. But as we know: dont ask what it costs, ask what it brings.

For the target 'audience' nothing, as they are specifically not permitted to run the ProPE version classroom wide.

For the specific training needs of the militaries who do use the Pro version in a classroom setting - apparently they haven't deemed a dedicated linux server version important enough to warrant contracting one.

Just FYI... DCS Black Shark doesn't have dedicated server software either... I know, We've been working on getting it added. ;)

Right now the only option for DCS Black Shark is too have a server up, with a server pilot and the helicopter hidden in some corner... maybe one day... good luck.

Guest EuroOtto

Again is there only one good reason to have no server files??? I read not one!!! Black Shark costs 40 EUR not 119 EUR. And iam not satisfied with that situation there. But i use their forum not this to talk about. The server files will come.

The answer here where.... maybe in SB2. But...

http://www.esimgames.com/products.htm

"Work on SB2 has been suspended to focus fully on SB Pro. No release date can be announced at this time. Hard-core simulation fans should look to SB Pro PE as a substitute."

... so that hint was only nonsens.

• Administrators

If you are running a gaming clan, SB is not very user friendly. You can't join in game, can't launch from the command line, and there's no dedicated server. It's very expensive and resource intensive to run a server, because that is all that can be running. Lots of bandwidth is used, and it needs premium bandwidth to be a good server.

Demand / development time is driven mostly by military customers and there is no interest from them that I know of for a dedicated server. Even if there were one, I'm almost positive it will never work on linux.

The unfortunate answer is Pro PE does not have what you are looking for right now, and would take a large amount of development effort to make it work the way you want.

If you want to see how multiplayer works, I would try joining a game with 911 over at steelbeasts.eu.

Thank you for your link. I repeat, i know what SB is. I play DCS Black Shark and LogON. I still do not see any argument that speaks against having dedicated server files... is there only one good reason to have none? OK it costs money. But as we know: dont ask what it costs, ask what it brings.

It think you can't now how a multiplayer session in SB is going on.

you can only join a session in the time before the scenario is starting it's called Verfügungsraum after the Starting there is no change to join if it run it runs.

In BF2 or else other game I can join every time the server is not full.

that is in my opinion a reason.

the next point is the most Virtuel Units in SB simulate a Army Tactic as an example the PzBtl 911 Simulate the tactics of german Panzertruppe.

• Moderators
Again is there only one good reason to have no server files??? I read not one!!!

I don't know what you are after here. Here is a good reason for you: BECAUSE IT HAS NOT BEEN DONE YET.

eSim is a small operation and, well, it has been explained before. To put it simply: if you want to put everything forward as "give me a reason why X or Y has not been done" then, if there were no limiting factor to anything then it would make sense that it would ALL be done, right?

Guest EuroOtto

Yeah, sure you are right. And because noone was interested i asked here.

I recognized some very arrogant answers here. The server files are your weak point hmmm? By the way, do you really think that arrogance is professional? Some people think (sure nonamericans) that the americans are so unpopular because of their arrogance. Not me.. ;) I came here and asked for server files. the answers i got spoke for itself.

I think trolls far outweigh Americans in unpopularity, especially ones that come it to a community and shout "why don't you support things my way!"

Volcano is right - the demographic for COD and RO aren't the same as the simulation world. That's not to discount you, your clan, or the interest you show in SB. It's a fact. The sales numbers alone would speak plainly to that, I think. (Which isn't an issue of cost, by any means.)

You may very well have 64 eager clan members all chomping at the bit to play a real tank simulation. Somehow I find it implausible that at least SOME wouldn't be tempted to purchase the game and come to play. Also, having a 64-slot server has nothing to do with clan size. That could just as easily be me and 3 buddies who like to play large games. So, let's not inflate the importance of our respective audiences.

The sim has its limits. The player cap is one of them. Sorry you think that's unacceptable, but it is what it is.

You also bring up cost as an issue. There have been numerous discussions of this, and to sum it up - it's worth the cost. People (myself included) have been playing the sim for years and stuck with it. Far longer than any single FPS title I've seen or been playing.

So it's not arrogance that makes anyone say "Sorry, but we don't have what you are asking for." Sean was quite clear, from the first post, that SB doesn't have what you need. Your insistence that we provide you a reason to your satisfaction seems no less arrogant than you are accusing posters here of.

It is our collective experience that players accustomed to the FPS and other "sim-lite" experiences don't enjoy SB, or appreciate what it is. Yes, it's a sterotype, but it's not without foundation. You may be the exception to that, but your posts so far seem to fit pretty well with the preconceptions this community has.