UAV Demonstration video

daskal

This video shows the UAV in action in SB Pro PE version 2.460. In this demo scenario its providing airial recoinassance to US ground forces in Iraq which are on the way to purge some iraqi villages of hostiles along the Euphrates. Aside from recon it's also serving as directing artillery and airstrike capabilities on enemy forces.

Thread is also ment as discussion forum for the usage of UAV's (hopefully it wont get dumped into the ground zero section this way ;) ) I'm eager to see the effect of UAV usage in multiplayer games going on - if you fail to notice it in time, you are pretty much done for - this little baby is like the "Fist of Heavens". Check it out!

• Administrators

Start with the scenario editor - add one to a sce and fly around in it....

It's not very complicated. It has TIS and daysight views, you move the camera around and lase targets to get them on the map. If you want you can use the lases to call artillery.

Nice video!

I've played around with the UAV, but one question if I may -

Do you need to keep the target 'locked' in the crosshairs whilst calling in artillery or airstrikes - or do you just lase them once and the system some-how keeps the coordinates?

This could be where I'm going wrong...

Thanks,

Quagmire

Do you need to keep the target 'locked' in the crosshairs whilst calling in artillery or airstrikes - or do you just lase them once and the system some-how keeps the coordinates?

I keep the target locked while I call in the Artillery - not sure if it works without this though.

• Members

The main challenge I find with the UAV is

- to find/identify/discriminate unknown enemy

- to call in artillery on a moving target, from a moving platform

Scenarios involving UAVs, if asymmetrical, should involve AAA assets (2S6) for OpFor, and/or disabled map updates, another aspect would be that the UAV is a force multiplier, so the owning side should work with even fewer vehicles. It's still possible to work with the UAV then, but it definitely requires a player to devote his full time and attention to this, and losing the UAV will then be a significant penalty to the owning side.

• Members

Another thing that Steel Beasts doesn't model yet, but which would be very relevant in real life: In that video about a dozen buildings were shot on fire, half a road's gardens filled with unexploded ICM ordnance (potentially maiming another half a dozen people living there, four of them children) - and all that to get three tanks, a squad, and a few Technicals. A tactical victory?

Maybe in a computer simulation. Real life operations are a lot more demanding. :o

This video shows the UAV in action in SB Pro PE version 2.460. In this demo scenario its providing airial recoinassance to US ground forces in Iraq which are on the way to purge some iraqi villages of hostiles along the Euphrates. Aside from recon it's also serving as directing artillery and airstrike capabilities on enemy forces.

Thread is also ment as discussion forum for the usage of UAV's (hopefully it wont get dumped into the ground zero section this way ;) ) I'm eager to see the effect of UAV usage in multiplayer games going on - if you fail to notice it in time, you are pretty much done for - this little baby is like the "Fist of Heavens". Check it out!

Kind of an odd question... what is that music in the background and do you happen to know the album name? Both my GF and I really like that music and want to get the album if possible! :-)

ACK NM... laughed when I saw someone else also had the same question! Thanks for the answer!

The main challenge I find with the UAV is

- to find/identify/discriminate unknown enemy

- to call in artillery on a moving target, from a moving platform

Scenarios involving UAVs, if asymmetrical, should involve AAA assets (2S6) for OpFor, and/or disabled map updates, another aspect would be that the UAV is a force multiplier, so the owning side should work with even fewer vehicles. It's still possible to work with the UAV then, but it definitely requires a player to devote his full time and attention to this, and losing the UAV will then be a significant penalty to the owning side.

Yeah, the UAV would probably be best for multiplayer, where someone can work it full-time.

Also, in SB, if the unit isn't yours, blast away. Figuring out if a unit is a valid target is easy in SB.