WWII-like

Skybird03

I gave this description repeatedly over at tanksim, in reply to people who mourned the lack of capable WWII-tanksims, when they "criticised" that SBP "only" is about modern tanks, but WWII-tanking was what they wished for. Have you ever tried this?! ;)

Play with Leopard-1, either the AS or the Danish version. Make sure you deactivate the following in the editor:

GPS

TIS

Laser

Lead, elevation

eventually TC's periscope

Make ammunition the oldest you can get (the weakest, most ineffective). Eventually make ammo stores "unlimited".

That leaves you with battling tanks where gunners only can use the "analogue" GAS sights, and need to estimate range and lead all by themselves, while scanning the environment is only possible without using thermal imagers.

I often find the resulting shootout beating any WWII-tankgame by a hiuge margin... you do not need a complex scenario for that. Just a quick skirmish does the job of showing what it is about...

As AI opposition, use either Leopard-1s or T-72s treated in the same way, especially ammo-wise.

And in you are to do some tanking the way your fathers and grandfather did! ;)

Interesting, danke !

How does it play in fact: does the game become slower and more tactically, or is more just a shootout ?

Also, I don't remember anymore, but tanks using GAS only, do they have to stand still to fire ?

And if so, does the AI halt a moving computer-controlled tank with GAS only, in order to make it fire ?

Rgds - K

...Also, I don't remember anymore, but tanks using GAS only, do they have to stand still to fire ?

And if so, does the AI halt a moving computer-controlled tank with GAS only, in order to make it fire ?

Rgds - K

he didn't list stabilization damage, so not in this case. however, most tanks in WWII did not have stabilization and those (the one?) that did still needed to stop because it sucked so bad. so, knock out the stab too ;)

note: be careful not to use vehicles that are armored to well when you do this. you'll never kill some with the weakest ammo in some others.

have fun Guderians!

Hackworth is right, of course "stabilization" also should be deactivated. I forgot to mention it.

note: be careful not to use vehicles that are armored to well when you do this. you'll never kill some with the weakest ammo in some others.

Well, I remember to have read that American Shermans were ordered to engage German Tigers only if they had a numerical superiority of 4:1 or even 7:1.

Not to mention Kingtigers, then. :)

As I said, when I occasionally played like this and used old ammo, I sticked with Leopard-1 both for Blue and Red.

You captured very well the typical Ardennes-weather on a misty winterday - as was the case in December '44.

I tried the mission in SP, but that was a bit too difficult - better in COOP indeed.

Rgds - K

I need to improve it: briefing in english, some radio messages, and some reaction of OPFOR (if resistance is heavy in a town, change route...)

I have not design the mission, it's a BAT13 one, just adapt it to 2.460, and on a more accurate Bastogne Map (thank's to MatsW for shape files import)