Leclerc Tank

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It would be nice to see French tanks in the sim especially a cool one like the LeClerc. It would be equally nice to see British armor as well. The day French and British MBTs and APCs make an appearance in SB, will be a very, very good day.

They need not be the latest models neither. AMX-30 and Challenger I, not to mention older WP tanks like T-55. I've recently had the idea of using scenarios in my wargames (namely HPS's Modern Campaign series) as backdrops for custom scenarios in SB. Using the wargames as a source of TOE, geography, positions, and overall authenticity, I could create my own scenarios that I have always craved for SB to have. Alas, a lot of those scenarios involve AMX-30s, Challenger Is, and T-55s.

I'm grateful, however, that there are plenty of T-72s, BRDMs, BMP 1s and 2s, (and now the Hind!!!) for the M1 to chew up in this sim.

What iSims needs is a french salesman. With all the cuts the ABC recetnly absorbed a low-cost trainer might be appropriate. :P

Itkovian

I tried for years... and they finally have a look at it. And Whaou, that we need to link to Leclerc full training simulator!

So may be one day...but not for tomorrow

Tacbat , I don't think the Leclerc (series 1,2, or 3) will be a slouch or an Iragi T-72 Assad Babyl in combat. You might end up with a sabot round through the side of your tank's turret wondering what just happened.

Froggy I heard that the Leclerc (not the AZUR version) carries ERA. But I thought its armor consisted of a Boron carbide/steltexolite/special rubbery foam/tungsten composite matrix thinly sandwiched in between layers of steel (triple hardened) and spaced in a modular configuration around the 19 ton turret front. I also read that the series 3 (XXI) incorporates titanium instead of / or in conjunction with the triple hardened steel. :shocked: How can that configuration be ERA ?:confused:

I hope one day the Leclerc (series 1,2 or 3 or future version) will be added. It's my favourite tank. It is so sexy :smilelove-1:

I heard that the Leclerc (not the AZUR version) carries ERA. But I thought its armor consisted of a Boron carbide/steltexolite/special rubbery foam/tungsten composite matrix thinly sandwiched in between layers of steel (triple hardened) and spaced in a modular configuration around the 19 ton turret front. I also read that the series 3 (XXI) incorporates titanium instead of / or in conjunction with the triple hardened steel. :shocked: How can that configuration be ERA ?:confused:

ERA type armours can also include the bulging/BDD/NERA types - thin plates and rubbery compound sounds like this type of armour.

Energy from the attacking warhead/projectile is used to energise and move a more-or-less flexible plate in the armour, eroding and disrupting the mid/tail portion of the jet or projectile.

This isn't exactly the same as an ERA package where the energy used to defeat the attack comes from the explosives bolted on the tank's exterior, but the effects on the attacking projectile are similar.

mouah, you should practice to fire above 4000m...before they return fire at you

I would think that most if not all present day tanks can fire out to 4000m with modern ammo.

The trick how ever is to ID the target out at 4000m. This has proven to be most difficult given the optics of today. I'm not sure that we should be engaging pixels or blobs on the CITV screen at 4000m, well I would not. Positive ID of targets is how you keep safe from retaliation from other friendlies. Shooting at other blue forces is never a good thing.

Firing at targets on the range at 4000m might be ok, in operations it's going to lead to blue on blue, it's just a matter of time.

During training, with miles-like equipement, I made several shoot at 3800 and above. Iris TI is very accurate to ID target, not like the CITV.

Which actual vehicle CITV you have used to compare with the Iris TI?

Does the Termal Image reach 4000 mts with good enough definition to clearly ID a friend or foe vehicle?

Mighty Dejawolf your reputation precedes you!:shocked:

Do you have any pictures of the Leclerc you made for Steel Beasts Pro ?

And yesterday in D.C. , I asked one of the tankers if they used Steel Beasts Pro. His response was that they have their own equipment.

I wish I could brew up some Abrams butt in steel beasts pro with a Leclerc. I wonder who would come out on top :sonic:

whats your definition of combat then.

In this case it would be against another conventional force equipped with tanks/AFV/APC's etc in an all out shooting war. Or to simplify it further for you, a situation for which the tank was primarily designed to address.

In this case it would be against another conventional force equipped with tanks/AFV/APC's etc in an all out shooting war. Or to simplify it further for you, a situation for which the tank was primarily designed to address.

right. so the enemy needs to shoot back, and not surrender en-masse as soon as the first round hits one of their neighbouring tanks.

hardly combat, more like a shooting gallery with live targets.

• Moderators
right. so the enemy needs to shoot back, and not surrender en-masse as soon as the first round hits one of their neighbouring tanks.

hardly combat, more like a shooting gallery with live targets.

Who said "combat" had to be fair? ;) I guess there hasn't been real combat since World War One and World War Two then.

No combat patches were given for operations in the Balkans as far as I know.