Vista Help

cmatt425

Installed fine and updated to latest version of SB Pro PE, installed Direct X9.0C Nov 2007, excluded the .exe from DEP and ran under XP SP 2 compatibility mode. I keep getting "Could not Reset the Direct3D device" error. I am running Vista 32 Bit (updated) and a 8800 GTS card with the 169.25 WHQL drivers. If I force the game to run at 640 x 480, I can get into the main menu, but if I change the resolution (native 1680x1050) it crashes. I have seen the Vista troubleshooting guide and followed it, but with no luck. On the search, I noticed one other person had this problem, but no results were posted. I have a X-Fi sound card, as well, but it seems more like a driver / video card thing. Is there anything else I can try, or any more details required?

Chris

Is there a command to force into windowed mode? I tried Normal Window, Minimized, Maximized. On minimized I get an error saying "Generic Application Error, switching to reference rasterizer, a software device that implements the entire Direct3d feature set, but runs very slowly." I hit okay and I get a Warning stating nothing will be rendered, go get the DirectX SDK (which I am dl'ing right now). Then a final Generic Application Error. I'll try it after installing the SDK, but let me know if there is another way to put into windowed mode. These series of errors are the same when I force into 640x480.

I can't get into the main program any more to set it to windowed. I know Vista isn't supported, but is there a way to ensure the DirectX is installed correctly? I think when Vista initially installs, it is missing some of the runtime files which requires directX 9.0C to be installed. I wonder if this is a problem as there have been no other problems with any other Direct3d programs.

• Members

You don't need the DirectX SDK.

If you can't get into SB any more, try deleting the preference settings in your Options file as described in the manual, page 4: APPDATA

If that doesn't help, uninstall completely and try to start with a clean slate.

I have all the hotfixes not relating to SLI, and will try a fresh install.

Just tried the Beta, no problems in any modes, full screen or windowed. Keep up the good work. I'll just use the beta. Thanks for the help!

Also, no compatibility mode needed to be used, worked normally first try.