Thinking about purchasing SB.....

jebs

Hello everyone :)

I am considering buying Steel Beasts Pro Personal Edition, & I just have a few questions to ask.

Would I be able to find many players online during the EST (Eastern U.S.) time zone during the week?

Are there any incompatibility issues with the Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS joystick?

I have a Pentium 4 3.4ghz CPU with 2 gigs of RAM & an Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS with 512 meg of memory. Would this be sufficient for good frames per second during online play? I read all of the posts in the thread pertaining to graphics cards, & I think I will be ok, but I am not certain.

Many thanks in advance,

jebs

I am in Eastern Zone and can locate a game most any time I log on, although I have not been able to been on as much as I'd like of late...

About the joystick, you'll probably have to look at the search function of the website for references to it, I currently use a saitek pro gamer command unit for keys and mouse for gunning, as I cannot get the feel for gunning with a stick, but your mileage will vary.

My system is a homebuilt amd 64x2 4200+ with 2gig of ddr400 ram, with a 7800 GS OC AGP video, get very respectable framerates typically high 30s to 40s with occasional dips into the twentys and rarely down below twenty, depending on the scenario and numbers of onscreen targets and trees. It certainly is very playable as gunner unless it dips below 15 or so. Your performance will likely be better.

Hello everyone :)

I am considering buying Steel Beasts Pro Personal Edition, & I just have a few questions to ask.

Would I be able to find many players online during the EST (Eastern U.S.) time zone during the week?

Are there any incompatibility issues with the Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS joystick?

I have a Pentium 4 3.4ghz CPU with 2 gigs of RAM & an Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS with 512 meg of memory. Would this be sufficient for good frames per second during online play? I read all of the posts in the thread pertaining to graphics cards, & I think I will be ok, but I am not certain.

Many thanks in advance,

jebs

• Members

IMO you're paying extra for Mac design, Mac logo, and Mac feelgood feelings. I'd only consider a Mac if "being stylish" was of any concern to me and if I could have the fallback position of having a dual-boot installation with XP for those games that don't run well in emulated mode. Which begs the question, why Mac in the first place.

But hey, to each his own. The hardware as such has the required power, I wouldn't be concerned about that.

The other question is whether you could beef up your current computer by disabling the integrated graphics and plugging in either an AGP or PCIe card, provided that the mainboard has a suitable slot. A Radeon 9800 can be had through Ebay for 30 Euro (20 GBP), certainly worth the price.

I gather that most everyone here has the Pro Personal Edition & not the Professional version? For the long night of tanks, is the player limit temporarily increased over 8?

I know I will enjoy the single player scenario aspect of the game, and I hope to have many opportunities for online play.

Regards,

jebs

Aw c'mon, quit your showing off! You know that rig won't even break a sweat. :biggrin:

• Members
I gather that most everyone here has the Pro Personal Edition & not the Professional version? For the long night of tanks, is the player limit temporarily increased over 8?

Some virtual units, along with Sean here at SB.com, have the "server version" of SB Pro PE which can host sessions with more than 8 players.

Well jebs, myself, apocolpyse31 and a few others have just purchased the game (mine should be in by the weekend hopefully), so look for us on TS and we can multiplay...I'm looking forward to some COOP games to get used to things....there are a number of other folks (I'm trying to identify them all) coming over from WW2online. Fun game, but the tank game lacks teamwork (other things too, but meh), and besides, gotta get my "modern tank" fix.

Oh! Hi everyone!!

Cheers!

mazer

Hedgehog:

For what it's worth, I'm running Steel Beasts on a Mac Pro (by way of Bootcamp and Windows XP), and it runs well on the built-in NVidia GeForce 7300. I haven't had any problems whatsoever. I'm using an older Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold joystick, which works great too.

I also installed a 7950 GT, on which Steel Beasts runs VERY well!

--NoJoe