Back after a long absence. What do I do now?

Ludwigmeister

Hello everyone,

I used to be pretty avid on the forums for a long time and was very much into the multiplayer networking with the original SB but sort of drifted away right as I got good at the single player aspect of SB Pro PE before making it into any multiplayer massacres.

Right now I am running 2.328. Where do I need to go from here? I saw on the mainpage that 2.483 is already out since September. Is this a one deal from 2.328 to current patch, or is there a laundry list of patches and updates I need to do to make myself multiplayer capable?

Thanks in advance,

Alex.

EDIT: Put the wrong version.

And if I may be so bold as to be my typical critical self, what is so amazing about this upgrade that requires purchasing that voids my already 125 dollar copy of the game?

Its pretty much the standard these days. You can still use the original disk and patch it up and play with another player who is similarly patched, but you will not be able to join any games hosted by any people who have purchased the upgrade. The choice is yours.

Mog

And if I may be so bold as to be my typical critical self, what is so amazing about this upgrade that requires purchasing that voids my already 125 dollar copy of the game?

Well for myself, It was the compatibility with matrox THTG, hands down made it worth every penny! I just love surround vision! Have a look...

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/surroundgaming/en/home/

• Members

Well, in order to compare 2.483 with your existing version 2.328 you actually have to have a look at all the changes since the last two years (if I remember it correctly, 2.328 was made public in spring 2007). The release notes for 2.483 will cover only about 15% of all the changes. The major feature additions besides countless improvements of existing features and bugfixes were (in no particular order):

• Improved ballistics parameter set for 25mm Bushmaster ammunition
  • Ability to start a scenario non-battle ready, with time delays until the thermal imager works and other stuff
  • Eliminated obstructive and excessive muzzle flashes for MGs
  • Addition of a remote weapon station (Kongsberg Protector) option for some vehicles
  • Massively extended zoom range in map view
  • AARs capture smoke object positions too
  • Track damage is now visualized
  • Added ISO containers as obstacles, in three flavors (sand filled, empty, accommodation/office type)
  • Ability to save AAR files to disk
  • M88A1 recovery vehicle
  • Transition from uniform random shot deviation to a Gaussian dispersion
  • Heavy weapons teams for infantry - HMG on tripod, ATGM launcher, Mk 19 grenade launcher 40mm
  • Infantry will now sink into the ground depending on terrain bumpiness factor, for better concealment and also protection against direct fire (helps with overall survivability while prone)
  • Option to define observation arcs for the attention and observation focus, with a variable reference point for hull-down positioning
  • Bushmaster armored truck
  • 120mm Canister shot
  • 120mm PELE ammunition
  • Buildings containing own infantry are now rendered semi-transparent

In addition to this, check the attached release notes for version 2.460 and 2.483 to see the massive difference.

ReleaseNotes_zip.0ca8a21def4e853d42eba95

ReleaseNotes.zip

A new feature in 2.483 that I appreciate a lot:

"Obstacles can be moved in planning phase. Mission designer can choose where the obstacles can be deployed then by the player: anywhere, nowhere, in deployment zones"

=> this adds a another tactical dimension to SB,

which is welcome next to the majority of new technical features.

Rgds, Koen