Exiting discovery with Google Earth

Mav

Hi all

I found the MGRS ability via links on the forum here, and coupled it with the finding of a doc called Training Script.pdf that has 3 explicit training scenarios for M1 Simnet explained in detail with Map overlays etc.

I managed to extract those overlays and make them transparent and used as overlay in Google earth...

That far that good....

Problem is that the exercises are all outside the present Ft. Knox area map.

I have NO (zip, nada, non) skills in making maps at all, neither do i have acces to high level DTEM data.

Can anyone provide a small map for this area needed here ?? Or provide me with info on how to go about making such a map, naturaly i would prefer the map to just pop up of the earth by it self....but thats not going to happen i think :D

If i get such a map i can make the training missions down to detail in the right area. For now i have started to make them in a "backup" area, but its just not working right as the hight map is incorrect for the tactics in use, and i have not been able to find a suitable place yet.

Attached here is a zip containing KMZ's for two of the three overlays and an image of the area in question that i would like a map over....please

56e83c8765c17_MapWanted_zip.31f1f4046701

Map Wanted.zip

• Members

You can rarely convince people that it's not worth the effort. They have to make that experience themselves. I made just one map, and I'm not looking forward to another.

...and that was in the days when SB didn't even have a line draw feature, or flood fills, or masking.

LOL, too true.

I've put my project on the back burner for about two years now..

Woods, grass, water and major roads, not a problem. Buildings and terrain detailing is what delivered the knockout punch that I haven't recovered from. I'm still not yet ready to step back into the ring. :wink:

• Moderators
LOL, too true.

I've put my project on the back burner for about two years now..

Woods, grass, water and major roads, not a problem. Buildings and terrain detailing is what delivered the knockout punch that I haven't recovered from. I'm still not yet ready to step back into the ring. :wink:

Just put a bunch of red barns everywhere and a church every 1000m and DONE! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

There will be a first version of height + terrain file in the download sections for US_Brandenburg_374549N_862821V_40x40 with focus for the Irvington area.

It's Brandenburg and Irvington area in US, Kentucky. Not Brandenburg in Germany.

The terrain file is the 1,0 version with terrain around Irvington but with not so many buildings. Hopefully, there will be more buildings in the next version.

/MatsW

Irvington.JPG.0ac40eab27293af796cb7dabe1

Irvington.JPG.0ac40eab27293af796cb7dabe1

I used to make my own terrain maps by hand - took so long that I'd get burnt out before making an actual mission on it. I also remember a utility we had for the original SB - you would input some mysterious environmental variables and give it a height map and it would then kill your processor for a couple hours doing fractal equations.

Nowadays, I find an already finished map that has about what I'm looking for in terms of terrain features and structures, and just change the theme until it looks like what I want.

Cool MatsW - ill be on it like a flie on a turd :diable:

BTW there is a Tactical Vignette (98-3) that takes place in Brandenburg, so that is a good place as well. The Vignette have a pretty detailed map of the buildings in the town.

• 1 month later...

US_Brandenburg_374549N_862821V_40x40 version 1.1 will be uploaded shortly. The updated version have more buildings and other terrain features in the Irvington city area.

Will see if there will be some update on the Brandenburg area some day....

/MatsW