Leo 2a5 vs 2e; which is better for newbs?

Jamesp111

Hi guys,

I received SB pro pe today and it looks really good...

But I can't work out why people recommend starting out on the leo 2a5 rather than the leo 2e; what's the differences between the two other than the armour, and is the 2a5 better to start out on?

Also, any recommendations for simple missions to play after the tutorials?

See you all online soon!

James

The Leopardo 2E has an HE round by default, and as modelled for the Spanish lacks a 'pure' ballistic solution for the DM12/M830 Heat rounds. This makes it slightly more finicky than the modelling of the other Leopards that can fire HE-T or HEAT using the full FCS solution. The current requirement for HEAT use in this vehicle is player only, and using half the lased range on the HE-T scale, or a manually input range of half the estimated/measured range for the HE-T ballistic computer.

The Leopard 2A5DK is undoubtedly easier to use as a result.

Having said that, I prefer the Leopard 1A5DK, or the Leopardo 2E as my choice of vehicle...

The Leopard 1A5 has the advantage of forcing a reasonable semblance of tactic movement, as it cannot stand and exchange fire with another tank in the way that the heavier tanks can, and the weaker gun forces flanking fire for consistent (good) results.

The Leopard 1A5 has the advantage of forcing a reasonable semblance of tactic movement, as it cannot stand and exchange fire with another tank in the way that the heavier tanks can, and the weaker gun forces flanking fire for consistent (good) results.

Well I qualified and lived in one for a few years so I like it becasue I don't need to think.

Its great to just drive around and shoot without touching the barrel cleaning staves or load ammunition or refuel or do track work :)

• Members
I feel really silly asking this: Does the in-game leo 2a5 have a machine gun for the commander or is there only one MG on this tank?

It seems strange to only have one MG on a tank?!

For most Leopard variants there is a loader's MG as well. Whether that still is an adequate solution in the contemporary operational environment is an open question; there seems to be a trend to replace them with remote weapon systems which are more flexible in the armament anyway (and typically more accurate too).

The rationale for not equipping the commander with an MG is that he already is overtasked most of the time - giving driving directions to the driver, observing the battlefield, assessing the overall threat situation, checking with the platoon leader for new orders, operating the radio, reading the map, giving reports, managing the tank as such, etc.

The idea here is that the commander's most important job is to maintain situational awareness, and that the tank is better off overall if the commander is more aware of all the threats around him so he can prioritize properly. A heavy MG - the typical choice for a tank commander - gives extra firepower, yes. But it is finicky to operate with precision, especially on the move, and invokes the danger of target fixation so that the TC loses awareness of the overall situation which can then lead to incorrect tactical decisions which in turn increase the overall risk for the entire vehicle. Last but not least a bulky HMG obscures the commander's view, or forces him to move the entire upper body out of his hatch for 360° observation where in the Leo the "chin defilade" position (just the eyes and maybe the nose above hatch ring level) is sufficient in 95% of all situations to observe the surrounding battlefield.

Some armies put preference on the additional firepower, others sacrifice that extra firepower for better observation and reducing the workload on the commander. There's good reasons for both decisions (being brough up by the Bundeswehr on a Leo, I personally prefer that one - but I can understand why others may come to different conclusions).