Infantry Thread

Trout

Lets start another one!

How would you improve infantry in this sim? I'll start:

-By default they should reboard their PCs when the PCs are given movement commands. PCs could then have an "embark without infantry" command added.

-Infantry need to be less vulnerable to small arms when they are upright and/or hit the dirt sooner. Inf. vs inf. engagemnts just dont work right in this sim.

-movement in windows. you should see SOMETHING in windows when infantry are present, not just tracers. The only way to deal with infantry in buildings now is to flatten every building in site!

Lets start another one!

-movement in windows. you should see SOMETHING in windows when infantry are present, not just tracers. The only way to deal with infantry in buildings now is to flatten every building in site!

Well, thats a good reflektion of live there...I allways tell my guys to stay away from windows and fight from "the dept of the room" (if possible).

Counter taktic again...flatten the building.

Kein Haus, kein Häuserkampf! (as we like to say)

My $0.02:

1. PCs should be able to cross-link to other infantry squads.

2. PC-based infantry should be configurable in the editor.

3. Better cover and concealment for infantry - the "ground-sink" idea sounds like a great solution for this.

4. Infantry should move less when engaging.

5. Infantry should be able to crawl.

I'm not sure whether the infantry morale should be adjusted. The current setting seems to be "hardcore jihad," but having infantry become less responsive, sit still or better yet break and run would just cause angry posts to this forum. :cul:

And maybe have the dismounted infantry represented not by millions of 3-4 man teams but rather 1 platoon size unit, just like vehicles etc. This of course requires that this platoon would need enough added AI to make it work like a platoon. Then of course you could detach/attach them. And in editor you could script the mech inf's path separate from the vehicles - for example on WP 10 vehicles dismount and stay for covering fire while the crunchies attack through a forest flanking from the right for example. And when inf is in position, the IFVs follow accross the open and remount...

Zip

I know its an armoured sim - its the best on the market.

However, you should be able to dismount your troops and have them clear enemy infantry out of towns, bush and forest to remove the threat to your vehicles.

As it stands now, even a single enemy squad will cause, IMHO, unrealistic casualties in the engaging/assaulting force. I think that is the biggest problem with infantry in this game

Trout

I know its an armoured sim - its the best on the market.

However, you should be able to dismount your troops and have them clear enemy infantry out of towns, bush and forest to remove the threat to your vehicles.

As it stands now, even a single enemy squad will cause, IMHO, unrealistic casualties in the engaging/assaulting force. I think that is the biggest problem with infantry in this game

Trout

So u cant dismount inf and move it indipent of PC ? that would suk caus i am Mech Inf lover.

thats a separate issue (inf mount/dismout restrictions).

The bigger problem is that when you DO send your dismounts into town or any heavy cover area to assault other infantry, they will suffer HUGE casualties.

Even with somthing like a 5 to 1 ratio, your casualties will be unrealistically heavy. It may have somthig to do with being prone or not.

And maybe have the dismounted infantry represented not by millions of 3-4 man teams but rather 1 platoon size unit, just like vehicles etc. Zip

I agree with you to a point - You should be able to consolidate dismount teams into Sections then into a platoon.

HOWEVER

I like having sections split into teams because you can do ALOT more with 2 dismount teams as far as scouting goes.

Realistically speaking, Those are some BIG dismounted teams. My Scout Platoon (Stryker) normally rolls with only 6-8 guys per section, while I noticed that each team in SB is normally that size.

• Moderators

Realistically speaking, Those are some BIG dismounted teams. My Scout Platoon (Stryker) normally rolls with only 6-8 guys per section, while I noticed that each team in SB is normally that size.

Hmm, not sure which mech infantry teams you are referring to but in SB the mech infantry fire teams average at 3 - 4 men with a few vehicles like the M113, BTR and Bushmaster at 5 per team. Which infantry sections have 6-8?

I agree with you to a point - You should be able to consolidate dismount teams into Sections then into a platoon.

HOWEVER

I like having sections split into teams because you can do ALOT more with 2 dismount teams as far as scouting goes.

Well in SB not even the teams or squads act in a sensible way.( even starts with the formation they move in ...etc etc). I think it would be too much to expect a platoon behavior as this depend on the flexible interaction between the squads and quick changes in strukture.

Right now forming an Inf platoon would only lead to a big crowd of troops moving as one piece...and geeting shot to pieces :-P

I agree, smaller teams are the way to go. Has anyone else tried setting 1 team to engage, and the other to assault? Or what about 1 group fixes and the other flanks?

Most of the guys get wiped out anyway but it would be cool if these things worked. I dont get the sense that the defenders AI is influenced at all by being flanked, nor do they present easier targets from the side or rear.

Well in SB not even the teams or squads act in a sensible way.( even starts with the formation they move in ...etc etc). I think it would be too much to expect a platoon behavior as this depend on the flexible interaction between the squads and quick changes in strukture.

Right now forming an Inf platoon would only lead to a big crowd of troops moving as one piece...and geeting shot to pieces :-P