SB Pro PE 2.538 - Parts 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 Posted and Rel Notes

Sean

We'll include all the teaser videos that I posted recently on YouTube, and then a few more, in high resolution. And there are the photos of the credits slideshow. And one demented and unprofessional surprise video that was originally intended to be an easter egg in SB2, but since SB2 work is suspended we figured we could put it on the DVD as well.

None of this is essential, really. I'm not even sure if it's worth the extra $7.- unless you lost your previous installation CD or so and would like to have an "official looking" one - or if downloading simply is no option for you.

Sounds great!

I won't regret to buy the DVD version!

You know how to satisfy kids! :)

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that one, would be great for Middle East & Western Europe -

You must be getting on a bit to be using the "old" one with the 20 Pdr gun (as per the picture).

Perhaps you mean one of the newer models with the 105mm L7 (with the fume extractor half way down the barrel)?

however where did you attach the umbrella ? I don't see the fitting.

An umbrella attachment would be essential, for someone your/our age :)

Same place we fit them on our M1's, on the centre side of the commander's hatch, so the loader/operator gets some benefit too.

Admittedly we use them for OH&S reasons to provide some shade in the tropics and we don't use them "one the move".

This is from a long tradition going back to using a tarp over our Centurions during Vietnam:

http://cas.awm.gov.au/item/P07256.035

• Members
None of this is essential, really. I'm not even sure if it's worth the extra $7.- unless you lost your previous installation CD or so and would like to have an "official looking" one - or if downloading simply is no option for you.

Yeah interesting question.. 7$, minus shipping cost, minus the cost of Al's time printing the label and posting the package (while he could be implementing b***ing roadwheels) - even if one orders with the best intentions (more $$ for eSim) it might be a net negative..

• Members

I checked back with Al, and I have to correct myself a bit:

We'll include all the teaser videos that I posted recently on YouTube, and then a few more, in high resolution.

"A few more" = 2 - the

which you already know, and a video by TerraSim which you can see here.
And there are the photos of the credits slideshow.

The download version contains fewer photos in lower resolution.

"we have all the defenses in the world, but Ssnake has the_List; He is the_Keeper"

Praised be the list

now the list has been metioned we must sacrafice more rodents, now where's my daughters hampster :evil:

Prayer of Implementation:

Recite in full, at dawn and dusk, from now untill update.

All HAIL!

To the the_List!!

Forsake THOSE!

Who do not BELIEVE!

For THEY!

Are not WORTHY!

HEAR ME!

Sacred Keeper of the_List!

I sacrifice thyself, in pious service to MONOPATCHISM!

Let contents be known unto only the Keeper!

PEACE THROUGH POWER!

*Repeat once and replace above lines with:*

I shun those who do not believe the Holy Trinity of Implementation!!

TIME! MONEY! PERCEIVENCE!

LEOPARDS HO!

(Equates to Amen, in the Brotherhood of Implementation.)

Of course there are those who use the beliefs of implementation as more of a guide-line.

You must be getting on a bit to be using the "old" one with the 20 Pdr gun (as per the picture).

Perhaps you mean one of the newer models with the 105mm L7 (with the fume extractor half way down the barrel)?

Well, I'm not that old :) Yes its the 105mm version I would like to see.

Didn't know it ever had a 20 pdr.

• Members

I have a question regarding the release notes:

The TERRAIN THEMES' Hardness factor will now sink vehicles and troops up to 1m below the visible earth surface. At 50% the sinkage is .5m, at 100% it is zero. The hardness will not affect the traction or drag; they must be set independently. Intended use of this feature is to simulate the effect of mud, snow, but eventually also of tall and dense vegetation. Future versions of SB Pro may also use it as a modifier to the effective range of artillery fragments. Theme designers are advised to keep that in mind

It sounds to me as if (right now) hardness is "only" useful for concealment (or a visual clue to the user that he's driving in mud etc)? I wonder how this works with the existing "bumpiness" implementation?

Infantry will now find cover in any terrain, depending on the Bumpiness value of the applied terrain theme for each given terrain type. With bumpiness "0" – the default for old scenarios – dismounted soldiers won't have cover. At 100% bumpiness they will disappear.

What happens at, say 50% bumpiness and 50% hardness (eg a rather boggy forest)? Do the effects add up?

[Edit: nevermind, found an old post: ]

• Hardness is without function at the moment but is supposed to influence the visualization in the future - how deep a vehicle will sink into the ground. Eventually we will also set a threshold for each vehicle at which point it will simply bog down, even if all other parameters would still allow travel.
    Finally, hardness may one day influence the speed with which infantry can dig themselves in.
  • Bumpiness will primarily affect the coincidence behavior of weapon systems (and eventually their accuracy while shooting on the move. It may also limit the maximum speed.
    In addition it will determine the protection level for stationary infantry against direct fire. It's supposed to represent an abstract value for micro structures on the ground that allow soldiers to hide. After all we are relying on a terrain resolution that is much larger than an individual soldier. So, infantry will not only sink into the ground in forests in the future but anywhere, and will therefore present a smaller target and profit from concealment while remaining in place.

And what was wrong with WW2 kit, I'll have you know my first issued pair of boots were circa 1938, they were older than me.

AND, the first ever Land Rover I signed for not quite older than me, that should get you thinking ...

God this suspension is killing me, or perhaps it's the volume of booze I consume when anticipating something special.

Nostalgia switches to OFF ...

And before the 20 Pdr it had the 17 Pdr from WW2

Yes I can just imagine them turning up for the victory parade in Berlin with their brand new "top of the line" Centurions and Comets only to see the rows upon rows of IS IIIs that "Uncle Joe" had brought.

Certainly a good reason to go back to the drawing board in a hurry. :D

And what was wrong with WW2 kit, I'll have you know my first issued pair of boots were circa 1938, they were older than me.

AND, the first ever Land Rover I signed for not quite older than me, that should get you thinking ...

God this suspension is killing me, or perhaps it's the volume of booze I consume when anticipating something special.

Nostalgia switches to OFF ...

You mean Landies had suspension back then? ;)

Arrgh the SWMBO has just informed me that friends have invited us down to Austria for a few days ... and she wants to leave tomorrow :eek2: :shocked: :frown:

Right I'm off to pack, Ssnake please hold the release until I get back, thanks:sonic:

:cul:

Well so far the User Group thing has been good.

Received a back brief on things beyond 2.538 (but I need to keep that close hold).

Also I’m now on the Army 2.538 QA team to see if the fixes and new stuff work (I’m sure they will).

No part “1” yet I notice (and the store is still closed). :(

I’ll stay logged in just in case. :)

• Members
I’ll stay logged in just in case. :)

Don't. It'll be at least another 18 hours. The programmers are presumably done, this is the good news, but there still are a few technicalities to be solved that depend on certain events beyond our control.

Once that these things have happened we'll do a final live test with our beta testers to give them their free upgrades, and as soon as they report that they got the licenses I'll send out the newsletter with the final details as well as the download URL for part 1.

I'm sorry. I didn't know that we'd be the pioneers to go live with this, so it's been more of a learning experience for all of us than I preferred. But it'll be worth it, I'm sure. It will make license management so much easier for us so that from now on we can always offer downloads for new versions, and it'll free up a bit more of that precious "Al time". We want him concentrate on programming, not managing CodeMeter sticks and licenses.

"You must be getting on a bit to be using the "old" one with the 20 Pdr gun (as per the picture)."

1968: troop training in the RCAC using the early Mk. 5 (20 pdr, but with a mantlet change that allowed 105mm gunnery technique); and

1969-75: regimental duty - Canadian units retained the 20 pdr tanks, Germany unit had the 105.

Rest of the time: light armoured/tracked recce.

Yes...I am "getting on a bit"..but only a small bit! :diable: