Your Favorite New Unit So Far?

greenred

Im really partial to the M60. I love how well done the 3d model is. I always thought the M60's was a very imposing tank. I have played Steel Beasts since the first one and have often wished for a M60. Its inclusion in the new version was the deciding factor in my purchase.

I set up a rip roaring battle with M60's and M113's vs T55's and BMP1's set in a winter theme. I felt like I was on a German plain during the darkest days of the cold war turned hot. Im planing on scenarios with M60's and M113's working in conjunction with Leopards and Marders. Love the cold war feel.

The only thing with the M60 so far is I have noticed that it is quite a bit slower in deep snow then other vehicles. It wont go any faster then walking speed, while all the other vehicles I have tested so far want to speed by it.

I got my wish for a M60, maybe I will wish on the same star for a crew able one someday.

Thanks for the good work Esim.

I just got this sim a few weeks ago for the same reason: love of the M60. I have been setting up a 4-tank M60 platoon versus T-72M1s ranging from 1 platoon to a full 10 tank company. On an open plain, the M60 is vulnerable to the T-72's ATGMs. But if it can get into effective range, 4 M60A3s can handle 1 or 2 3-tank platoons of T-72s. In a classic Fulda Gap type scenario trying to halt a company screaming down the road, they get wiped out, but usually trade at least 1 for 1 despite being heavily outnumbered. In a woods environment, the T-72s roll right over the M60s at point blank range.

I now have all of the assets I need to recreat some of the situations I used to play with miniatures and board games. This is simply amazing.

I am secretly in love with the Eagle IV with a lemur carrying a HMG. I am really enjoying the lemur as I'm getting to know it.

Granted that it can't take on any major resistance as it lack armor and firepower (compared to IFV's and tanks). But infantry and light vehicles are no match for a mix of HMG and 40mm!

Eagle IV

Fast and agile, check!

Awesome lemur, check!

Sweet looking, check!

Don't tell the Eagle IV, but I'm going to cheat on it with the Piranha IIIC now...

Im really partial to the M60. I love how well done the 3d model is. I always thought the M60's was a very imposing tank. I have played Steel Beasts since the first one and have often wished for a M60. Its inclusion in the new version was the deciding factor in my purchase.

I set up a rip roaring battle with M60's and M113's vs T55's and BMP1's set in a winter theme. I felt like I was on a German plain during the darkest days of the cold war turned hot. Im planing on scenarios with M60's and M113's working in conjunction with Leopards and Marders. Love the cold war feel.

The only thing with the M60 so far is I have noticed that it is quite a bit slower in deep snow then other vehicles. It wont go any faster then walking speed, while all the other vehicles I have tested so far want to speed by it.

I got my wish for a M60, maybe I will wish on the same star for a crew able one someday.

Thanks for the good work Esim.

Wait a minute, I have not been here in a while, but what M60A3 model?

Did something new hit SBPro?

I was always hoping for a M60 in the game, and now there is one, I'm kind of disappointed. Why? Because it is bigger and taller than I thought. The chassis is a monster and the turret is nice and tall, with the TC cupola on top like a cherry on top. When you put it next to the other tanks in SB, you realize just how big and tall it is next to the low-slung M1, T-72, etc.

The M60 model looks excellent, though, and I guess I'll just have to have the M60 chew on some T-55s until it earns its keep. :)

However, I'm so thrilled that I can be discussing the M60 vs T-55 in SB. Woohoo!

Edited by LtGeorge

I was always hoping for a M60 in the game, and now there is one, I'm kind of disappointed. Why? Because it is bigger and taller than I thought. The chassis is a monster and the turret is nice and tall, with the TC cupola on top like a cherry on top. When you put it next to the other tanks in SB, you realize just how big and tall it is next to the low-slung M1, T-72, etc.

The M60 model looks excellent, though, and I guess I'll just have to have the M60 chew on some T-55s until it earns its keep. :)

However, I'm so thrilled that I can be discussing the M60 vs T-55 in SB. Woohoo!

Although tall in appearance this did give the M60A3TTS an advantage. Ask any 60 tanker of their experience in the tank and they will tell you that the TTS was far better than the TIS. The tall turret allowed for a bigger head assembly in the gunners compartment. This meant more thermal channels than the M1. More channels equals more resolution. The M60A3TTS was a great defensive platform.

Although tall in appearance this did give the M60A3TTS an advantage. Ask any 60 tanker of their experience in the tank and they will tell you that the TTS was far better than the TIS. The tall turret allowed for a bigger head assembly in the gunners compartment. This meant more thermal channels than the M1. More channels equals more resolution. The M60A3TTS was a great defensive platform.

I think the TC cupola doesn't help, though. I believe the large cupola came from the M48, and I also believe that the Israeli M48s had that cupola removed to reduce the profile.

The chassis had a lineage that went to the M46 from WWII, and while it seems that it was a good chassis (good ballistic shape and suspension), it stood a bit high.

Sure but paradoxically it allowed for a greater degree of depression in the gun, which helped in its intended role of occupying successive hull down positions during the delaying action across Germany.

Mind you the slow speed suggested it may not make it to the next line of battle positions. :)

The Soviets who based their designs on offensive operations (and therefore weren't too worried about defensive hull down positions) could then opt for the lower profile and then specify that selection to the Tank Corps required people to be less than Xm in height in order to fit in the resulting vehicle.

I think the TC cupola doesn't help, though. I believe the large cupola came from the M48, and I also believe that the Israeli M48s had that cupola removed to reduce the profile.

The chassis had a lineage that went to the M46 from WWII, and while it seems that it was a good chassis (good ballistic shape and suspension), it stood a bit high.

I think it was the M26 Pershing from WWII.

I remember it being a slow tank, but I did not think it was as slow as it is in SB!

But as mentioned elsewhere what are you comparing it with?

There is no point in comparing the M60 with say and M1 or Leo 2 as the horsepower to weght ratios and acceleration between the M60 era vehicles and now are in a different league.

Even comparing M60 to Leo 1 (from a similar vintage) is flawed as the Leo was designed to move rapidly from snipe position to snipe position and to do so sacrificed armour for a good gun and speed.

Unfortunatley they aren't modelled but you probably need to compare M60 to M48 or Centrurion or Cheiftan to get a more accurate comparison.