Field rations in Afghanistan

Retro

click

Canada, Germany or South Korea for me please. Sweden/Norway - I'd be concerned about suicides in the field..

Behold also the instance of a german word "Einmannpackung" being more terse than the english translation "combat ration, individual".

I have been very fortunate, I have not eaten any Ration pack yet in the sandbox. Now it's not from any issues from our (Canadian) rations, just I haven't been so hungry to do so.

However, what I'm eating on a daily basis is junk:decu:, pure and simple, how US troops can live on these meals is beyond me. I've lost weight due to skipping some meals knowing what I'm about to eat:frown:. We get some locals to bring us some melons,gapes and man bread to hold us over:).

But now I'm in Spain and the food is great.:biggrin:

Nice link however, tanks

• Members
Behold also the instance of a german word "Einmannpackung" being more terse than the english translation "combat ration, individual".

You could use the acronym EPA. Doesn't get much shorter than that. Nor sure about that assertion that it would remind me where I'd rather be - although, admittedly, they aren't that bad as they used to be (I heard).

• Moderators

US MRE's are the BEST! Actually, in all seriousness, they are pretty good - I used to like them at least. There are some 25-50 different meal types each with their own different items in it, so its not like you have to Pork whatever with pound cake over and over again. Half of the fun is getting something new and figuring out what everything is and then doing some trading of items with other people. I remember that the powdered Cappuchino mix (that you put in cold water bottles) was like crack cocaine, everyone wanted it and you could trade it for gold.

But seriously though, no one in their right mind can complain about rations now days, regardless of what country or what it looks like. Compared to the old military rations of bygone generations, ALL of these rations in that list are gourmet meals by comparison. Try going back to WWII and living off of those rations, and before that it gets exponentially worse. In the old days you were lucky if you got a piece of bread LOL. In other words, troops today can be thankful of their space age meals in a bag with candies and baby wipes.

Hmm, of course they used to get cigarettes in rations back in the "old days", so I guess they did have something good (for some people at least) back then...

Is it just me ,or do most of them look as though they have been eaten then thrown up after 5 mins?I prefer the old compo rations we had in the 70's and 80's.Cheese Possessed,Oatmeal blocks,steak n onions in a tin,Bacon and snorkers.............................................happy days!

Considering that EPA only has 3 different types, which adds to six meals in total, it is beyond me why noone after 18 years of out-of-area duties at least tried to bring more variety into the German rations.

The chocolate is still great, though...in every aspect. :)

MREs are not that bad, and I love the many choices...as well as the candy.

click

or South Korea for me please.

Wow, its my first reply.

The ration in the website is our latest one of three, and its okay.

unlike the other two, it can be warmed from field like US MRE

so soldiers were love it when I was in the army because they had few

chances to eat the new one except some important or special units.

(we have so many earlier version of rations in stock , have to spend them)

It contains fried rice, and fried kimchi(you know what it is right?) and so on

just like in the site, I dont know it can be nice to you guys in western :)

but its nice one, you will like it, you know, hunger is best sauce in field :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Really? Pork rib as the representative for US MREs? That is possibly the single WORST menu in the entire lineup- unless the omelette is still being produced, in which case it baaaarely edges out pork rib for worst. There's plenty of good MRE menus, but the best use for pork rib is sandbagging your fighting position ;)