Mac Pros and SB Pro

Hedgehog

Hey all, I've got a new job so i can now work on my master plan of purchasing a new PC.

The one i have my eye on is a Mac Pro as this doesn't get as many viruses and is pretty much future proof (well as much as you can make it).

However before i waste time amassing a small fortune for this amazing piece of tech, will it work with SB pro?

its gonna have either quad or 8 core processer,

usually dual or quad core twin linked.

min 1GB ram and a Nvidea 7300 graphics.

It probably will, considering SB (just) runs on this POS.

but just checking...

Hey all, I've got a new job so i can now work on my master plan of purchasing a new PC.

The one i have my eye on is a Mac Pro as this doesn't get as many viruses and is pretty much future proof (well as much as you can make it).

However before i waste time amassing a small fortune for this amazing piece of tech, will it work with SB pro?

its gonna have either quad or 8 core processer,

usually dual or quad core twin linked.

min 1GB ram and a Nvidea 7300 graphics.

It probably will, considering SB (just) runs on this POS.

but just checking...

Lol, future proof? And there was me thinking Macs had obsolescence built in: the "coolness" expires around about the time of the next Macworld keynote.

Regardless, I think there are other threads on this forum mentioning successful Mac/boot camp/parallels installations.

Well the production version, the new Beta and the ANZAC version all run fine on my first generation MacBook Pro (2.16GHz Intel Core Duo, 2Gb of RAM, ATI Radeon X1600 256Mb graphics card running XP Pro SP2 under Boot Camp).

This is happy being connected to a 23" Apple screen (as well as its integral screen).

A new, 2008, version Mac Pro should be even better. I'd suggest you get it with 2Gb of RAM though.

• Members

Steel Beasts Pro will not profit from multicore CPUs yet. And even if you do have applications which will (do you? really?), while a second core does offer some noticeable general performance improvement (e.g. that virus checker in the background will no longer degrade your overall performance), four and more cores typically offer not the slightest performance benefit.

This may change over the next years, but not all programs CAN actually be parallelized and even those who do are unlikely to profit from more than four cores.

I'm saying all this not because I am emotionally tied to single core processors, but more cores = more power does not add up for 99.9% of all computer owners (and those who really need multicore PCs will know how to interpret my words, so please spare me the list of animation rendering and database applications, or MATLAB, where you will profit from parallel processing. These are special cases which are not representative of the typical PC user demographics).

The investment in more than two cores is, most likely, a waste of money. I'd rather spend my hard-earned money on a better graphics card.

Hedgehog, I am thinking here, you are probably better off with a two core CPU and spend the rest on a better quality graphics card. Recently I spent around 1,600 dollars USD on a whole new kit, and SB Pro PE runs just fine with the AMD 6000+ dual core and the GeForce 8800GT. Though I am not sure if there is going to be much of a performance difference between Windows XP and Mac.

Well if he wants the Mac Pro for expansion, choice of graphics card, flexible RAM configuration then the base line configuration is:

Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Harpertown” processors.

So you get 8 cores standard (whether you want them or not). The question after that is how fast do you want it to run, 2 2.8, 2 x 3.0 or 2 x 3.2?

• Members

What kind of a stupid product policy is that?

Xeons require a lot more energy than the normal Pentiums, and as long as you don't render movies you simply can't utilize more than two cores. Well, not your fault nor is it my business to debate your decision to go Mac, but I wonder if a Mac Pro is the best possible base line to start with. At least they offer the "downgrade" of using just a single quad core Xeon, so that's definitely a place to start saving some bucks. The German Apple store says -440 EUR for the single CPU option, and +180 EUR for the 8800 GT graphics card. That makes a net gain of 260 bucks with better overall performance (as long as you don't render movies with it).

Well thats what I'm after primarily, Flexibility

But the main reason i want to change from Microsoft, is cos of all the f**king crap flying round trying to infect everything, (yeah there are viruses for macs but a lot less of them) plus windows never deletes temp files its just so damn inefficient.

And I'd like to have an Apple with upgradability one can really only upgrade the memory with Imacs.

I will be getting a graphics card around the 8800GT mark, or if something better comes along I may get that, Graphics is after all what a Mac is designed for...

As to other stuff:

2-4Gb RAM, 3.0, maybe 3.2Ghz CPU, One small HDD (op sys only), one big one (all the crap i'm likely to accumulate is going on here).

And a nice digital SLR camera may be a future purchase....

I guess it appeals to my arty side.

Gibsonm, have you got a date when the new model is released, i'm guessing soon as current models are being disposed of....(sale)

Once again cheers for the debate