Leopard 2A5DK Night Cockpit for 2.5+

Vikingo

Hi there comrades!

I just upload my first "mod" (of a mod) :diable:

Update...

Version I : 1.1 - I just upload the final version of this one. I "balance" the red inside and this is the one I use in the tank... waiting approval -thanks!- )

Screens:

http://yfrog.com/bcss011039jx

Version II : 1.0 - "red fury", in this one the red effect is more "saturated"

Screens:

http://yfrog.com/evss224958jx

and the description (readme) is this:

"NIGHT (OR EMERGENCY MODE) COCKPIT FOR LEOPARD 2A5DK" (tested with 2.546 version)

When I check the cockpit systems that lamp (first screen) make me think... "That have to turn to red when using the tank in the night..." (like the WWII Submarines of the movies) for prepare the crew eyes for the night. And also maybe it turn red when the tank is hit and enter in "emergency mode" (I saw that in the T-80 of the russian movie about the first Chechen war "Purgatory" (really bloody movie)) So I took the great textures of the mod "Leo2 HI-REZ Panels translated to English ver. 1.1.zip" (Author: Alan323) and made some changes, I use also other stock textures of the game... (big thanks to him for that mod!)

Select the files of "NIGHT COCKPIT (or emergency mode)" folder and place them at your:

....\mods\textures\woodland (or any of the other seasonal folders)

for go back to the "normal" cockpit just replace those files with the ones at "NORMAL COCKPIT (day)" folder.

NOTE: remember that this will change to english the cockpit -high res- (like in the original mod) (in both versions)

Really want to have an option to "change modes" in game but that is not possible.

Hope you will like it and I think is nice for the night missions or for simulate a emergency situation when you start a mission with your tank with some kind of "problem"

thanks for try them!

:gen004: Vik

Edited by Vikingo

thanks for the coments!

I think the "Emergency" mode is a made up Hollywood thing.

I thought the same too! but look nice in movies :biggrin:

But AFVs do use dimmed lighting for night time use. Americans use Blue lighting IRRC and most others use red lights.

I was not wrong that the lamps there have to be for something :sonic: but I was wrong with my next "project" : I was planing the same for the Abrams... but now I know the lights are blue and not red! Thanks for the information. (luckily in the Leopard seems to be red :diable:)

Nice job, looks pretty cool

thank you RogueSnake79! glad you like it

Don´t forget to try version 1.1. I think is more "realistic" than the "red fury" one... Like to still have some black touch at vision blocks and panels. Also let me thank you for some of your nice mods that I have active in my sim sessions! :thumbup:

Vik :gen004:

Edited by Vikingo

I was never in tanks, but we had lights for the compartment of our SPLL (http://www.armyvehicles.dk/images/m270a1_1.jpg). There were three settings: white, blue and red. probably the same with many vehicles. if no NODs, i liked driving with blue or nothing. actually i hated NODs. can anyone with Leo experience weigh in?

Looks pretty damn good from the screen shots. I'll have to download it and check it out. :)

Looks pretty damn good from the screen shots. I'll have to download it and check it out.

thanks Hackworth ! and how it was? is close to your experience inside the SPLL :cvc: I always like those armored panels in the front of the unit! have to be nice be inside. And please what is "NODs" ?

NOD, as the deadly adversary of GDI?

thought the same :biggrin:

German Tankers try to never use Lights Inside Tanks.

thanks for the information. But how is the red light option? it helps more that the normal one? Seems that with the light panels and the training you can left the lights off.

Now I will try to do this for the Abrams (I finally found the blue lamp inside the 3d cockpit :biggrin:)

abramsblue.jpg

Vik :gen004:

• Members
... how is the red light option? it helps more that the normal one? Seems that with the light panels and the training you can left the lights off.

Of course red light is shit in comparison to white light. The primary benefit of red light is that it doesn't impair the eye's adaptation to low light conditions.

Each vision block has a flap that can be velcroed to prevent light being transmitted to the outside if you have to use light (assuming that the hatches are closed, of course). It's just that there's always a danger that someone forgets to close his vision blocks completely.

The most important instruments are augmented with glow-in-the-dark paint, but that works only if you were smart enough to use a mirror over the day to "charge" the paint with a few sunrays. At least that's my experience with the thermal viewer. Even if you reduce the brightness to the lowest levels (where you can still actually see something, mind you) looking at the screen for hours will somewhat impair your night vision, so if you then have to make out the faint glow of the paint on the panels, forget it.

Likewise, reading a map with red light is an exercise in futility. At some point you will inevitably use white light, often however dimmed down from the flashlight and not the internal lighting, which is just too bright. Then there's also a dedicated map reading lamp (but personally I found the flashlight always more practical. In any case, you can't do that outside.

Then there's also a dedicated map reading lamp (but personally I found the flashlight always more practical.

Did you guys ever use the trick of poking a small pin-sized hole in the center of the red lens on the flashlight? You would put the flashlight up close to the map (pretty much touching it) and you'd have this one little spot on the map where it wasn't red. Helpful for staying out of those red boundary areas. :wink:

got it Tacbat , thanks! now I understand :c:

and thanks for the explanation Ssnake, incredible the little details I´m learning each day :thumbup: Before I thought I know about these themes, now after the simulation and reading here I can´t say the same :redface: Each day I´m more glad to have the sim and more knowing it was "build" by real tank crews with real experiences like the one you share here, I hope someday can enter a real tank at least for some minutes :cvc:

btw the M1A1 blue cockpit is ready and waiting approval... (hey! is already up... thanks!)

some pics here:

http://yfrog.com/mkss175511jx

the Leopardo 2E version is uploaded!

soon at this site... :gen004:

Edited by Vikingo