Difficulty levels and faqs

Jamesp111

Hi.

A couple of questions, sorry if they've been asked before:

Firstly, the difficulty setting: I understand this reflects an opponent's reaction time. Does this roughly equate to opponents that are:

Easy = poorly-trained

Medium = russian

Hard = western

And so should this be adjusted every mission depending on who the adversary is?

Secondly, are the faqs working? When I click on the button, it takes me to a search function which never returns a result; am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

James

Secondly, are the faqs working? When I click on the button, it takes me to a search function which never returns a result; am I doing something wrong

The FAQ on the tool menu is only forum use related (what button does what, etc), not for SB information. There is a basic SB FAQ thread in the announcement section. For detailed information, use the SB wiki.

oh, it says faqs

Yes Mog, that is a Q. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I put the difficulty on Medium and realism on High myself, but sometimes I do (or have) set the difficulty to High.

It is debatable on what is best for Network Session host to set Realism on. In multiplayer, do you want the AI quick on the draw to compensate for the fact that usually there are a lot of units with very few people (to make the AI better suited to deal with other humans), or do you want the AI to be less responsive to a more realistic level that they may not see threats as quickly, because you want people not to rely on AI spotting in their own vehicle.

I don't know the answer to that, or even whether or not this setting makes a real noticeable difference in Multiplayer.

• Members

The difficulty setting factors reaction speeds, and gunnery accuracy for OpFor (in single player mode). Your own forces' gunnery accuracy (in single player mode) is determined by your own gunnery rating.

The reaction speeds are

Easy - Enemy is slow to react

Medium - Both sides react equally fast

Hard - your own (computer-controlled) units are slow to react

And that's all there is to it. What you make of it is is your own decision. Typically Medium difficulty will give more realistic combat results. If you are an experienced player and strive for a challenging "balance" in a given scenario, it is easier to yield Pyrrhic victories on "Hard". You may end up as the last man standing, and that may equate good entertainment - but we probably agree that battles that consistently result in mutual annihilation would be considered disastrous in reality. One could even say that for current western military doctrine anything that isn't a very one-sided battle is considered a tactical defeat, and that from a string of tactical defeats the media could easily construe an operational defeat which could then become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

But that is of course something that goes way beyond the actual tactical scenario in SB Pro.

• Members

Well - whether Red reacts faster or Blue slower is a matter of perspective. The most neutral formulation would be that with Hard difficulty selected, OpFor has a reaction advantage over "OwnFor" and also very good gunnery accuracy.

With medium difficult the reaction speed of both sides is balanced, and at easy difficulty the enemy is at a disadvantage.

• 1 year later...
And that's all there is to it. What you make of it is is your own decision. Typically Medium difficulty will give more realistic combat results. If you are an experienced player and strive for a challenging "balance" in a given scenario, it is easier to yield Pyrrhic victories on "Hard". You may end up as the last man standing, and that may equate good entertainment - but we probably agree that battles that consistently result in mutual annihilation would be considered disastrous in reality. One could even say that for current western military doctrine anything that isn't a very one-sided battle is considered a tactical defeat, and that from a string of tactical defeats the media could easily construe an operational defeat which could then become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

But that is of course something that goes way beyond the actual tactical scenario in SB Pro.

Yep...

I used to build victory conditions into my scenarios that took heavy losses into account. Lose 40% or more of your force and you were lucky to get the equivalent of a mid level victory. Lose 50% or more and a defeat was in your future no matter how well you did against the AI.

Those scenarios didn't go over too well at all.

I'd get comments from players along the lines of I wiped out the whole other side. How come I didn't win. Well - how much losses did you take? I had one tank left. You lost. Google Pyrrhus - get back to me.

Eventually I just stopped putting victory conditions in at all.

NOTE: Those scenarios were all designed mostly for SB1 in the early 2000's. Most are gone now - maybe all of them for all I know.