80's armor

Scrapper_511

Another tidbit, which came out in the late 80s, when it didn't matter any more, was the lack of standardization of weaponry among the NATO forces which meant the there was only enough ammunition stockpiled to sustain operations for no more than 30 days. The fighting would have been short and bloody, the outcome of which would have been decided within the first 2 weeks.

I think the phrasing was "Interoperability". I remember stockpile levels was a major problem. 30 days of supply was the requirement. In reality, very few NATO countries actually met it while others had as low as 10 days worth of ammo.

The notion of a purely conventional confrontation .... Fortunately however the strategic nuclear deterrence worked.

Are you talking about the 1964 plan? If I remember right that plan was kept as "an" option, but not as "the" option for a war plan through 1986-ish. If its a different war plan, do you have a link to it?

Thanks,

Mog

• Members

I don't remember the specifics as it was published around 1994 in the Hamburger Abendblatt newspaper. According to them it was a fairly recent plan (=from the 1980s). Of course it was just a training exercise, but we all know that exercises of that level don't work on fantasy scenarios. You exercise what you expect the war to be like.