Guns R Fun - I wanna M4

tarball

Those of you in the know, I have a simple request/question: what's the best way to get a reasonably-priced AR15/M4-clone in the US of A? I'm a n00b in this area and it seems that all the online dealers want me to have an FFL in order to purchase. Do I need to find a middle man? What's a good civvie AR-15/M4 to get?

Thank you from the gun n00b

gunchick.png

• Moderators

Yes, you need to find a middle man, such as a pawn shop or gun store in your local area. What you need (to do to save some money) is go to cheaperthandirt dot com, and find the weapon you want and buy it from them (they are in the Dallas / Ft. Worth area, I buy stuff from them all the time). Guns are a pretty good price there, and they spell out the whole process. They even have a feature where you put in your zip code and they show you all the FFL licensed "middle men" in your area.

I happen to have a glass store (they make glass), and they also sell guns and ammo (go figure). They work as my middle man for a mere $50 fee. I say mere, because anywhere between $50 and $100 is pretty small fee for them to take for handling the transaction, it is up to you to shop around the different FFL middle men to find the lowest fee. Basically what you do is you speak to the FFL dealer first, OK it with them, then buy the gun on the website, print something out and take it to the dealer. You pay them the fee, they process the order and call you when it arrives in the mail and done (I might have something in the wrong order but it is a pretty simple process). Once you get the process down, you will probably be acquiring all sorts of weaponry. Oh, the altnerative is to just find a gun store in the area and buy something they carry, but you might pay $500 more than the gun is worth.

BTW, if you buy an M4, get item #62245: Colt, M4 Match Target Carbine, Flattop, four position adjustable buttstock, quad rail, flash hider. $1,520.55. Then get you an EOTech 512 holographic sight off of eBay for about $400-$500. You will be in BUSINESS with that setup. You will need to buy some 30 round magazines and a front handle, but that is tiddly winks. $2,000 might sound like a lot of money, but that is Colt. Your alternative is to buy Bushmaster or Armlite or a lesser model for about $500 less. The model above is so expensive because it isn't a fixed stock, the top hand guard will detach (so you can mount a holographic sight easily) and because it is Colt. One thing you should remember however: guns do not lose value (unless you trash them), and they are only getting more expensive.

One more thing, you can also buy a semi-auto Barrett cal .50 sniper rifle (the M82), item #69415 for $9,180.00. :) That's a pretty good deal, I remember when it was $12,000 just a few years ago! Of course each round is about $2.00, but that is another story...

Edited by Volcano

An alternative to the M4 is the SU-16 made by Kel-Tec.

SU-16C

b_e976a5e83fe34a9618d0ba1e66193f84CIMG1936.jpg

The C model has a folding stock and takes the same mags that the M-16 family does and is chambered for 5.56mm/.223. I think the model comes with a fold out bi-pod and 2 10-round clips also.

It is a fun gun and very affordable .

Koga/Greevil can fill you in on the Saiga option which is even more affordable but is only .223. Not sure about the Mini-14

Ever think about building one yourself Tarball? You can save a few bucks just buying the sub assemblies .

DPMS AR 15. 16'' BBL 7.62 X 39mm completly ambi. 1290.00 US.

B.A.D. Lever from Magpul-30.00 US.

go to AR15.COM for all the info youll need.

Checkout-

Colt

Spikes

Noveske

Bushmaster

BCM

Daniel Defense

Noveske

LMT

S&W

Sabre Defense

Armalite

CMMG

Stag

Bushmaster

Rock River Arms

Olympic

DPMS

... AND MANY MORE

Join ths NRA,GOA,SAF.

AND YOUR GOOD TO GO!

sega (saiga) guns r the best. i live off sub-minimum wage + welfare and i was able to afford it and do the conversion using only a drill, file and a hammer. I bought mine for 330 but after tax, shipping and mr greedy gun store owner's transfer "fee" it was about 400 and conversion kit was 100. u get a better AK for less and lots of parts to pimp out your gun. some people turn the sega gun into m4 look alikes and golanis.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/leotanker/segagun.jpg

after

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/leotanker/saigaconverted.jpg

Whatever do you need an assault rifle for??

Robbing banks,

drive by shootings,

Fending off the zombie apocalypse,

Militias are not the same with just .22 LR,

Protecting your meth lab,

Lightsabers are not invented yet,

Hunting 4 point bucks....if you only wound them they can turn on you,

11 year old African bushwar vets don't look as impressive with bolt action rifles...granted machetes do give an aire of impressiveness too,

You have lots of cash laying around,

Revolution!!!

Lets ask the Swiss.

But honestly....what makes a rifle an assault rifle? Is it how evil it looks?

P1000025ab.jpg

Same rifle...... different fixings.

I like the pic of the guy strolling through the supermarket with his rifle on his back! I remember the first time I visited a friends new house in Bern, Swizterland and was surprised to see an assault rifle propped up in the corner of his study. Not something you see in England... ;)

Edited by Quagmire

• Moderators
sega (saiga) guns r the best. i live off sub-minimum wage + welfare and i was able to afford it and do the conversion using only a drill, file and a hammer. I bought mine for 330 but after tax, shipping and mr greedy gun store owner's transfer "fee" it was about 400 and conversion kit was 100. u get a better AK for less and lots of parts to pimp out your gun. some people turn the sega gun into m4 look alikes and golanis.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/leotanker/segagun.jpg

after

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/leotanker/saigaconverted.jpg

What is that rifle... it looks to me like a Mosin Nagant 1891?

• Members
what makes a rifle an assault rifle?

Easy: Automatic fire and 20+ round magazines. High velocity rounds, caliber 5.45mm and above.

Now all you NRA lifetime members can tear me apart. Remember, I'm not a US resident and don't have to know about the specifics of gun laws there. It's just a point of view with emphasis on practicality which, I'm pretty certain, covers 99% of all assault rifles ever produced.

Exceptions are possible, though I don't know one.

In the US, "assault rifle" is usually defined by the visual characteristics which make it appear scary. Below is the definition from the The Federal Assault Weapons Ban which has now (thankfully) expired

By former U.S. law, the legal term assault weapon included certain specific semi-automatic firearm models by name (e.g., Colt AR-15, TEC-9, non-automatic AK-47s produced by three manufacturers, and Uzis) and other semi-automatic firearms because they possess a minimum set of features from the following list of features:

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

* Folding or telescoping stock

* Pistol grip

* Bayonet mount

* Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one

* Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device which enables the launching or firing of rifle grenades)

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

* Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip

* Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor

* Barrel shroud that can be used as a hand-hold

* Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more

* A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:

* Folding or telescoping stock

* Pistol grip

* Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds

* Detachable magazine

Mog

Check out a SCAR.

i just bought a AK47(762X39mm) from Aresenal check those out.its a Saiga SGL 24-61 model.:biggrin:

also bear in mind how expensive ammo is,the least expensive is .223 and 762x39.the 5.45x39 is not to bad i hear,Ssnake sounds lke he knows about that rounds cost.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm running a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 w/all Magpul hardware. Completely Mil-Spec with the exception of that blasted 1:9 twist rate. Goes bang when you want it to, shoots 50mm groups at 100m with surplus ammo, and can be had in MOE trim for much less than $800...though personally I'd shell the extra $150 for the fully railed "Tactical" model.