Tanks and AFVs spotting infantry

markh

I have been amazed at how easily tanks and AFVs (without the presence of friendly supporting dismounted infantry) have been able to spot enemy infantry - even in the European woodland maps. As a consequence it seems that infantry are very "fragile". For example, it is difficult for my Blue infantry to use RPGs on enemy tanks (even where weapon effective ranges are over 400m) without being spotted and wiped out before they get their shots off.

I have been lead to believe in various military articles that experienced infantry can in fact successfully get quite close to tanks and AFVs without being spotted due to the visibility limitations of such vehicles.

I have not served in the military so I would be interested in the perspectives of any forum members who are serving army, or ex-army.

If it turns out that tank and AFV spotting is "over-modeled" - what is the solution when creating a scenario. I know there is a "visibility" adjustment tool in mission editor, but that would seem to apply to ALL units across the board - which defeats the purpose of the proposed adjustment I am referring to. Therefore, is there something that makes it more likely that infantry can ambush tanks and AFVs?

Thanks

If it turns out that tank and AFV spotting is "over-modeled" -

It is not, neither intentionally nor accidentally. It's just that infantry so far did not get the ammount of attention that it would have gotten in a usual "game release". The focus is on vehicles, and thus, infantry is more or less a compromise, and is modelled sub-optimal. It maybe will change in a future release. Consider infantry to be a W.I.P. For the time being, leave them in woods (they tend to sink in a bit there), leave them in towns, leave them onboard your IFVs, and handle them manually, with limited fire zones, etc. Or do like I do: I focus on vehicle scenarios exclusively for the most time, delete infantry from most scenarios, and edit it in ways that make them either of any reasonable use, or absent. Right now I see 60% shadow and 40% light in them, and they tend to die like flies, that's why.

After all, SBP is a sim on tanks and armoured vehicles.

Hi Skybird,

Do you not feel that can be a little limiting? I find infantry can be very motivating for the tankie in terms of controlling chokepoints. I won't use woodland tracks near ENY positions for this reason; crunchies can really tear you up.

Inversely, AFV's present virtually no threat under similar circumstances.

J