Long time no see

Jester_UK

Hi all.

Been away a long time now fighting my own real life battles, most of which are (thank God) now behind me, and am ready for some more virtual battles.

One thing that suprised me, was the complete lack of the long thread I expected to see discussing the pro's and con's of the recent beta version.

So stupid question time: How's the beta?

Not downloaded it as yet (seriously space limited hard drive), and seeing that it installs parallel to the release version thought I'd get a few considered reactions first before starting a PC spring clean to make room for it.

Hi all.

Been away a long time now fighting my own real life battles, most of which are (thank God) now behind me, and am ready for some more virtual battles.

One thing that suprised me, was the complete lack of the long thread I expected to see discussing the pro's and con's of the recent beta version.

So stupid question time: How's the beta?

Not downloaded it as yet (seriously space limited hard drive), and seeing that it installs parallel to the release version thought I'd get a few considered reactions first before starting a PC spring clean to make room for it.

Jester,

Probably worth the download though it does have some minor glitches. Several new vehics are also included with the beta, M88, Tiger and Chinook helos several new environmental objects also come with the beta. some addition to the planning stage though plans cannot be saved with the beta. All in all I think you'll like it.

Thanks Congo. I know the total download is around 500MB, but what's the hard drive footprint like once installed? About the same as the release version or significantly bigger? (just wondering how much jumk I need to clear off this disc of mine)

870MB in the pro pe beta folder. Mods folder and all the rest remain the same. Beta will make use of both dds and bmp files though it does look for the dds files first. dds files are somewaht smaller than the equivalent bmp files so if you are running all dds files in your mods folder you will notice considerably faster load times. You ever consider putting another drive in your puter they are fairly cheap now.

Got the beta installed and the hard drive cleaned up. Still getting used to it, but like what I've seen so far.

And no. Congo, I'm not spending any more money on this PC.... It's a dinosaur so any money spent on it would be wasted. Currently trying to put some money aside slowly to buy a complete new rig (...... But the way things are at the minute I reckon Hell's gonna freeze over before I manage that!! :redface:)

Got the beta installed and the hard drive cleaned up. Still getting used to it, but like what I've seen so far.

And no. Congo, I'm not spending any more money on this PC.... It's a dinosaur so any money spent on it would be wasted. Currently trying to put some money aside slowly to buy a complete new rig (...... But the way things are at the minute I reckon Hell's gonna freeze over before I manage that!! :redface:)

Dammit Jester come on and spend some more money!

Thanks guys. Quick question: Is there an explanation of the new BP sectors of fire anywhere? Most of it seems pretty well self explanitory, but I'd rather not be making any wrong asumptions as far as how to set them up goes.

@ KT... No apologies needed mate. Give me a shout when time allows.

Thanks guys. Quick question: Is there an explanation of the new BP sectors of fire anywhere? Most of it seems pretty well self explanitory, but I'd rather not be making any wrong asumptions as far as how to set them up goes.

@ KT... No apologies needed mate. Give me a shout when time allows.

My understanding is that the wider you set them the longer it takes for the AI to spot the enemy the reason being you are observing a greater area.

As before set the BP just behind the crest to allow the driver to move up into a suitable position.

The left right limits of 'primary' observation are set by dragging the side markers in or out..

The Dot is used to define the desired observation zone - to force the vehicle to move further up to observe a road passing under the BP drag the dot closer in. To prevent unecessary exposure drag the dot to high ground in the distance... Play with it a bit to see how it interacts with the vehicle capabilities/platoon spotting/terrain forms.

The colour of the dot is a secondary identifier which indicates clear/obstructed LOS to the BP (but this is not too reliable as the vehicle will move to obtain a LOF if possible when enemies are observed/reported in the tgt area anyway).