Map Request Thread

Mogwa

On 10/23/2016 at 10:49 PM, DarkAngel said:

Finished with the Azerbaijan map already?

As hedge says there is another map in this area which Crusty is or was working on (See attached kmz). With this in existence and with the Salisbury plain map from Stuart666 this map would be redundant.

Lullworth_map.kmz

I have been adding in some of the urban areas and adding some flavour to the Mingcevir Dam...

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Capture5.PNG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

I don't think so. We as eSim Games aren't doing much in terms of map development. But of course if those who make maps are also involved in the beta test, that beta testing will naturally cut into their time budget.

Anyway, the problem is more one of data availability in the first place. For example, German topographical service authorities want to sell map data, and higher resolutions and contemporary data go for (much) higher prices. As long as we can get free map data from other places, that's where we're going. So, that's an economic barrier as far as the Kiel area is concerned.

On Monday, February 27, 2017 at 9:41 PM, Swordsmandk said:

I am still hoping to get some area around Kiel channel and Landjut AOR.

Are maps on hold until new software is released?

You want to do an 1864 reenactment with tanks?

• Members
4 hours ago, Swordsmandk said:

Is it the same with the DK data?

A few years ago it was. Maybe that has changed.

Even then there are still sattelite data that can be used, but at lower resolutions (e.g. from the Shuttle SRTM mission). Those are, unfortunately, really low res, giving generally rather flat and bland looking terrain.

The Danish Army can freely access high res data of all Denmark, but naturally they aren't permitted to pass it on to us.

5 hours ago, Grenny said:

You want to do an 1864 reenactment with tanks?

Yes now we have danish equipment in sb that is from same era (centurion lol) .

No I really need a good map for ops with landjut units. We have most of the units except the pnmk 92 for doing some non ifv action. 

Danish and all still  ?.

I appreciate the response from all.

• 1 month later...

I'm studying at Kingston Staff Academy in Canada.

To test my deliveries and challenge myselves, I would love to try them out in different scenarias in Steel BEast, but I can't find existing maps or import height geo maps of the area 0-40 km EAST KINGSTON.

I hope some of you entusiasts might guide me how to do, or maybe make the import and send me the blank map.

be free to write directly at peter_moldrup@hotmail.com.

The map attached South West corner is 50 WEST 70 NORTH

DTED_W80N40.zip

Edited by pmoldrup

Hey,

I would check this thread, and post your request there: 

The problem with creating maps is that you must have access to Steel Beasts Pro, not to mention grabbing data in the first place.

DarkAngel is the guru of map-making, but I doubt he will be able to make a map with a very quick turnaround. Unless you MUST have the same height map as your training area, I would approximate with another map already created.

Hi,

Im studying a year at Army staff collage in Kingston CAnada, and I'm looking for a map Ivo Kingston (40 km).

I have downloaded the geo hight map data from 70W to 80W and 40N to 50N.

Can any of you help me with a map of the area?

Thanks a lot in advance.

My mail is peter_moldrup@hotmail.com

DTED_W80N40.zip

• Members

Keep in mind, the maximum dimensions are 120x120km²

You essentially put in 10°x10° in the DTED data, they seem to be level 0 (what's that, 300m grid resolution?)

At 300m grid resolution I'm not sure what results you expect. It'll be an extremely flat terrain, favoring weapon systems with standoff in a highly unrealistic way. 10m resolution would be much better suited, but then of course the file sizes will increase. So, assuming that I would create a map for you,

1. Are you certain, with the limitations in map sizes, that the southwest corner should, indeed, be at 40°N, 80°W?  (or maybe shift it a bit more towards the northeast?)
  2. Are you certain that you want to build the height map from low resolution elevation data, knowing that the simulation results will be essentially invalid?
  3. What about a road grid, forests, water bodies. If you can provide them in vector format (ESRI "Shape" formapt, .SHP), that would be helpful. Ideally, have a separate SHP file for each terrain element that you want to import. Filtering the SHP files from a GIS application is the real work. Importing the stuff is comparatively easy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello DarkAngel,
I would like to drive with Steel Beasts battles in my home.
So I would like to ask if it is possible for you to give me a map of my homeland.
My home is:
Bad Sooden-Allendorf, Germany (Hesse)
BSA.thumb.jpg.a31210e1e67d9fda91bc54ae3222a96f.jpg

Size of the Map: 40km x 40km

Please excuse my bad English.

Best Regards

Klappstuhl

• 1 month later...

Given the prevalent geo-plotical climate, then something in and around Poland with russia on one side and Nato on the other.

Alternatively something with China against any of its neighbour - tricky with the OOB on the chinese side, but could be kinda emulated

• 3 weeks later...