Welcome to Steelbeasts.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Mogwa

Map Request Thread

335 posts in this topic
18 minutes ago, Hedgehog said:

This bit of mud would be nice,

Believe a few NATO exercises were held here :)

(And you've probably got the data as this borders both Hannover & Wolfsburg maps)

Spearpoint 80.jpg

Who's sector was that? British?

Mainly, this region borders with the German 1st Corps to the North (around the Celle area I think)

Narva/ talin or sulwaki gap 

Baltic countries in particular 

1 minute ago, Swordsmandk said:

Narva/ talin or sulwaki gap 

Baltic countries in particular 

+1 That is where the Russian hammer Will fall next.

Also Any finnish LIDAR maps so all the PE users Will have something to use the upcoming release or upgrade for.

Hmmm LIDAR is sort of a mixed bag. It takes quite a bit of grunt to process it (preparing for an sb map). There is not a lot of it available in the public domain, some countries make the data available (Sweden and a couple of others). The map sizes are going to be HUGE unless it is a very small map.

Awards

On 2/8/2017 at 3:02 PM, DarkAngel said:

Hmmm LIDAR is sort of a mixed bag. It takes quite a bit of grunt to process it (preparing for an sb map). There is not a lot of it available in the public domain, some countries make the data available (Sweden and a couple of others). The map sizes are going to be HUGE unless it is a very small map.

What is need exactly by us to provide to you for new maps? Do you need map data or anything specific. 

And what does the map program do? Add roads or forrest or ?

Plz help us map requesting people understand the process for making a map.

6 hours ago, Swordsmandk said:

What is need exactly by us to provide to you for new maps? Do you need map data or anything specific. 

Very wise words ....

What Swordsman said ... +1

Posted (edited)

45 minutes ago, Nike-Ajax said:

Very wise words ....

What Swordsman said ... +1

1. DEM digital elevation model (DEM) is a digital model or 3D representation of a terrain's surface — commonly for a planet (including Earth), moon, or asteroid — created from terrain elevation data usually files, can be LIDAR , DTEM or such files from the location/country. This is the HEIGHT Map file for SB

2. Shape files for roads, buildings rivers etc. This is the Terran files for SB

3 Lat/Long data of said map request.

After the necessary files are compiled a map making person can use SB Pro to develop a map with its additional features in the map editor, and a working knowledge of said map files., here in Canada it is generally a easy find for the data, building does take a fair bit of time. Map data is different in each country, so finding it can be a pain.

If you have the data required I can find time to assist you, however I can promise anything soon, but will add to my list dep[ending on the Sq Kms involved. My project are in the SB map data base for your viewing pleasure, many of you have fought on them.

Edited by 12Alfa

Awards

8 hours ago, Swordsmandk said:

I'm not exactly sure why you are quoting me here. I was just explaining to Nike Ajax why its unlikely you will see LIDAR data based maps (for the community), at least in the short term.

I'm not going to be making anymore community request maps until the New Terrain engine is closer to release. Partly because I don't have the time at the moment. The other factor is that there is little point making maps for 4.x, with the NTE they will all need converting to new formats. I have enough of those to do without making more work for myself.

For me the map making process is this:-

1. Accumulate Data. For a standard map I go and collect the data I need Height data from SRTM or NED/NEMA (10M US data). For Vector data my first stop tends to be Open street map or one of its data access sites.
  2. Process data. This is to make sure it is all in the right projection also to separate the data types into their relevant categories (Roads, rail, buildings, terrain types). I remove any extraneous data and then aggregate the data into similar types (SB types that is).
  3. Create the Heightmap in SB Pro, Load a theme and import the basic terrain types ( separated in stage 2)
  4. Load the map as created in stage 3 into my SB mapper Pro program. In there I can import Roads and have them automatically join sections together. This is a necessary  step which used to be a long and tedious task. In SB mapper Pro I can also import walls and, if the data contains suitable data, import building files.
  5. Various tweaks and effects can be added too if i want, again using SB mapper pro.

Awards

THX yours and 12 Alfa post clarifies some of my questions about SB map making :)