Joystick recommendation/ Solution?

dpabrams

Well nothing is going to happen now until Monday night my time.

I’m working on the basis that its the sort of thing that takes a bit of thought so I’m going work out how many buttons I actually have (the software makes this fun by jumping some so you do actually have to count them not just work off the biggest number on the config screen), then workout which functions I want mapped and then work out which functions to assign to which buttons.

For example, I don’t think first trigger pressure = coax and full pressure = main will work for those nice surprise infantry targets where you just squeeze the trigger.

But first trigger pressure = palm switch (or maybe “button 6” the one at the base of the hand grip that the small finger on the right hand can easily use) may well make sense.

Yes, I've found that one of the most time consuming (yet important) part of a sim is setting up your controller interface. However, once set, it's good to go. One advantage you have is your experience with SB already, so you have a good idea about what functions you'd like to have "at your fingertips". ;)

• 5 weeks later...
I have used 2 Saitek Joysticks with this game....the Saitek ST290 and the X52.

The biggest issue I faced in the first one was a big dead spot and stiffness that made it difficult to track targets. The X52 is a big improvement in both those areas and its HOTAS setup should be fine for most other games you might play too.

The newer software at the link below provides an interface which will let you adjust the deadzones and ranges for all of the axes. Just select "joysticks" from the second drop down and then ST290 and your operating system. Then select software (and drivers too if you haven't updated them in a while.) I've been using the ST290 Pro for a while. It's cheap and works well IMO.

http://www.saitek.com/uk/down/drivers.php

I've just been too lazy to program my X52 and I'm too picky to use someone else's setup. :)