Joystick recommendation/ Solution?

dpabrams

Greetings,

Got the new PC and went so far as to install a new 10 dollar sound card with a MIDI/ Gameport to run the 15 year old CH F-16 Combat Stick, with the 15 pin connector. Great idea in theory but I cannot find a Windows 7 driver for the joystick. CH products has long since stopped supporting these old game port joysticks.

Sooooooo, I think it may be time to buy a darned joystick, USB of course. I really like the CH sticks. What sticks do you recommend?

Thanks,

Pete

I have used 2 Saitek Joysticks with this game....the Saitek ST290 and the X52.

The biggest issue I faced in the first one was a big dead spot and stiffness that made it difficult to track targets. The X52 is a big improvement in both those areas and its HOTAS setup should be fine for most other games you might play too.

I have used 2 Saitek Joysticks with this game....the Saitek ST290 and the X52.

The biggest issue I faced in the first one was a big dead spot and stiffness that made it difficult to track targets. The X52 is a big improvement in both those areas and its HOTAS setup should be fine for most other games you might play too.

The Saitek X52 Pro looks like two bits of kit.

One a joystick the other some form of throttle controller?

Could I use both in SB Pro or do I keep the joystick and bin the throttle controller?

Only ask as it seems to be a few dollars and if I’m only going to use half of what I’m buying, I’d like to know before it turns up.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, I found a use for all the buttons on my throttle in SB. It cuts down on reaction time, for me anyway. I can't remember all the keyboard commands, but I know what button to mash if I want coax.

Blew some of my new pay rise on one of these Saitek X52 Pro's and I must say the joystick component is now a pleasure to use (the old logitech used to "wander" if unattended).

Any chance you could post your button mapping here (I'd like to use all the buttons on both devices [the throttle controller looks good for steering, etc.] and it would be great to have a start point to build from)?

Here's an export of my Control file. Disregard the last 20 or so entries as SB seems to have mapped them automatically (CV, Lemur, etc).

Basically I have the gunnery commands mapped to the joystick, and the movement commands mapped to the throttle. View commands are mapped a bit on each, and my Teamspeak PTT buttons are on the throttle. Hope that gives you enough to start with.

Tacbat_rar.5c81a6069be6c66e8fa9199015053

Tacbat.rar

My solution: No stick at all. I'm a fan of crisp response from the mouse. Perfect consistency during traverse, no dead zones, and no miles of sloppy travel from a stick. Also, immediate access to menues.

The enemy is fight enough. You don't need to fight the interface too.

• 4 weeks later...
Happy to be of help. You may find that the mapping doesn't "fit" the X52, as mine is based off the CH stuff. So, the buttons may be different for you. I'm sure the first time you fire up the sim with it, you'll quickly find out. :)

Sorry, finally got to look at Tacbat’s kind offering last night.

How are you meant to import such settings?

I went to “controls” and was able to export the current settings to a html file but was unable to import Tacbat’s html file.

I tried both the “export” and “import” folders but even when I had the right folder/directory it wasn’t recognised.

Even the file I exported as html was not recognised to import.

I did a straight “export” and ended up with a “hkf” extension file.

How do you convert a html file to “hkf” format so it can be recognised and imported, or do I have to open the html file and the control screen and manually map the controls to match the html?

Or is the easiest option to ask Tacbat to re export his settings in this hkf format so I can do a straight import?