ITEC in Cologne / Köln - 10-12 May, 2011

Gibsonm

For those of you who don't know ITEC (basically a large defence simulation trade show) will be being conducted in Cologne / Köln during the period 10 - 12 May.

eSim has a display in the exhibition area.

I don't think the exhibition area is open to the public (i.e. you need to pay to see it) however in the past I believe ITEC has provided a venue for gatherings of like minded SB Pro / SB Pro PE users with the possibility of:

1. Informal "discussions" over perhaps a beer and a bite to eat; and

2. Less likely, the possibility of participating in a LAN game or two. I'm bringing my laptop but that's the full extent of the technology that I'll have in my bag, I wont be bringing multiple machines, switches, cabling, etc.

Please note this post doesn't imply that eSim is in fact going to host anything along these lines, nor is it intended to pressure Nils or eSim to host such activity(s).

I'm just wondering how many people maybe going to ITEC in a paying capacity and therefore I maybe able to catch up with "inside". Or alternatively who maybe going in an unpaid capacity and maybe interested in one or more of these "fringe" type events.

I suspect that we should be able to arrange a beer and a feed somewhere if there isn't access to the technology for the LAN type activity.

We can at least use this thread to register people's intentions so that Nils, et al can make an informed decision.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is a link to the programme too, but your post doesn't tell me if you are attending, which is sort of what the intent of the thread is all about. :)

http://www.itec.co.uk/sites/itec.co.uk/files/itec_dps_conference-brochure.pdf

I'm not trying to market ITEC to the forum, just find out how many, if any, are already planning to attend and centralise some other posts that were made in a Challenger 2 Mod thread.

• Members
I don't think the exhibition area is open to the public (i.e. you need to pay to see it)

Actually, visitor registration for the exhibition is free (but you still need to register in advance). Access to the conference is very costly however.

You're of course welcome to stop by ... and play a bit too, if you like. It is, after all, Steel Beasts running on our booth at A154. Try to blend in with the dresscode there however (no shorts, tee shirts, base caps, and sandals please - jackets and long trousers are a good idea, or military uniform if you're still active).

I should be there from Tues afternoon till Thur afternoon. I will be camping down on the river bank however I will be more than happy to meet up for a beer and eats in the evening.

Perhaps someone local or even somebody getting there early could volunteer to organise this, otherwise you are all invited to a tent party, allthough I only have enough room in my panniers for 26 beers LOL

Irish

Perhaps someone local or even somebody getting there early could volunteer to organise this, otherwise you are all invited to a tent party, allthough I only have enough room in my panniers for 26 beers LOL

Irish

Well I do have room (but until I know if its a suite or a broom closet I can’t volunteer). However if the river rises (or it starts to snow or something) you now have a fall back accommodation plan. :)

Looking forward to it, but from what I remember of my last visit to Cologne, there are some very nice Beers there, good to know it's not going to be all work and no play,

Also don't forget there's the hospitality evening on the Wednesday,

http://www.itec.co.uk/visiting/networking

The Norwegian company 3D perception put on a lovely spread with

smoked salmon, cured meats, beers and Aquavit that's normally quite entertaining :biggrin:

LOL:

"Rheinmetall Defence – F110

Rheinmetall Defence: Join us for snacks and beer and enjoy listening to the ‘Rheinmetall Simulation Bigband’ "

Simulation Big Band 8-) , Ssnake...I case you make too much profit. Thats something to think about ;-)

Looking forward to it, but from what I remember of my last visit to Cologne, there are some very nice Beers there, good to know it's not going to be all work and no play,

Also don't forget there's the hospitality evening on the Wednesday,

As opposed to the networking evening on the Tuesday which will cost you 130 Euros

Will sort something out when I arrive

Irish

Edited by IrishHussar
Misread source info

For the Cologne-visitors :)

Be careful with the "beer" in cologne !

The area of Rheinland specific the cologne people drink "Kölsch" ,

in a narrow glass. Thats like water !!:eek2:

If you like it and you want to spite colognes take a "Alt" or "Alt mit Schuss" - kind of dark Pils

And if you want a normal beer taste the "Pils" :)

That all you must know :cul:

• Members

Drinking "Alt" can however raise suspicions among the natives that you are a covert agent for Düsseldorf, which may result in various degrees of hostility. You should at least pretend to be a bumbling tourist in such a case and they might, just might forgive you.

Well I’ve already had a bunch of email traffic just sorting out the bl**dy train trip from Frankfurt to Cologne (the train company kept telling me to choose a station that wasn’t on their web sites pull down list - end result the web site has “Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Fernb“ but apparently “everyone“ [except their own web site] calls it the “Fernbahnhof“) so I’m sure beer terminology will be another PITA.

Well I’ve already had a bunch of email traffic just sorting out the bl**dy train trip from Frankfurt to Cologne (the train company kept telling me to choose a station that wasn’t on their web sites pull down list - end result the web site has “Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Fernb“ but apparently “everyone“ [except their own web site] calls it the “Fernbahnhof“) so I’m sure beer terminology will be another PITA.

If you need some assistance while traveling by train...you may look for these friendly guys ;-) (the one on the right...)

050427_faq_04_feldjaeger_42.jpg.96ac95a8

050427_faq_04_feldjaeger_42.jpg.96ac95a8

I'll be happy to be of assistance. ;)

(...and why didn't you simply ask for help with the train?)

Because I figured the guys who took my 200 Euro (or at least the Commonwealth’s) would be able to. :)

I didn’t think I should hassle somebody who doesn’t even work for the train company.

Edited by Gibsonm

If you need some assistance while traveling by train...you may look for these friendly guys ;-) (the one on the right...)

Well as I’ll be in civvies I doubt he’d be interested (assuming his English is better than my German).

Now if I was in uniform and borrowed a vehicle I’m sure he’d love to talk to me. :)