Need som input/Help

Kingtiger

Alright boys! I am working on a small Singleplayer/Coop scenario that I need some help with to get the backstory right.

The Situation is Iraq 2007, 4 July, a Stryker Platoon (Piranha IIIC with lemur) and a M1128 MGS (Centauro) will do a raid against a compound with a HVT (High Value Target), a known local bombmaker that a Civie tipped the US about.

After the HVT is secured a Chinnok will show up, land and "pick up" the HVT and after that the Stryker platoon + MGS moves back to the FOB and scenario ends.

So...

Regards to unit Im not gonna bother mention that in the briefing as its down to platoon level operation, but what i want to get right is the callsigns

Stryker platoon is 1A, in the US Army is the callsign "One Alpha" or is it like "Yankee One" or such?

MGS: its one of the Companys MGS from the MGS platoon (One stryker Coy is 3 Stryker platoons plus 1 MGS platoon plus HQ section/Plt right?) so it uses same terminology as the stryker platoon?

The Chinook. Right now it has C/S 1E, but is there a "normal" callsign for birds in iraq? Like Eagle One ?

And on the road up to the Compound you pass through a checkpoint, is the correct terminology "Checkpoint" or is it VCP "Vehicle Check Point", RCP, Road Check Point?

The Stryker platoon has 4 "strykers", one with 40mm and 3 12.7. thats fairly normal isnt? or is the ratio 50/50 in regards to 40mm vs 12.7?

I will probleby knock up some Stryker /MGS skins to for the scenario, so it will take some time...

Any help is appreciated to get the correct feeling around the mission!

/KT

• Moderators

In US Army, callsign for 1A (the platoon) would be "Red". The actual #1 vehicle in 1st platoon would be "Red 1" and reference to the platoon leader himself would be "Red 1 Actual". 2nd Platoon is "White", 3rd Platoon is "Blue", 4th platoon is usually "Green" and a 5th platoon would be "Gold".. CO is "Black 6", XO is "Black 5".

No idea about the details on Stryker mixture of platoons however...

Edited by Volcano
clarification

In US Army, callsign for 1A (the platoon) would be "Red".

Would the Company C/S be used in conjunction with red to show company formation? like if A Coy is Assasin, 1st plt would be Assasin Red ? For when more then company assets is on the company net?

• Moderators

Nah, company nicknames are always (or usually) only used in reference to the commander when he calls higher. AFAICR the company name is hardly ever used at all when referencing the company itself, just the simple "Alpha company" "Bravo company" etc. is used. I don't recall hearing "Bulldog company" on the radio, as an example. That is not to say that some cheese somewhere would not do that however.

As mentioned above though, the company commander WILL use the company's name when he calls up to higher HQ (battalion), so he would say "this is Axe 6" or "this is Bulldog 6". The reason for this is because using his name within his company (Black 6) would be indistinguishable with the other Black 6's of the other companies in the BN.

• 2 weeks later...
In US Army, callsign for 1A (the platoon) would be "Red". The actual #1 vehicle in 1st platoon would be "Red 1" and reference to the platoon leader himself would be "Red 1 Actual". 2nd Platoon is "White", 3rd Platoon is "Blue", 4th platoon is usually "Green" and a 5th platoon would be "Gold".. CO is "Black 6", XO is "Black 5".

No idea about the details on Stryker mixture of platoons however...

How about the battalion scout platoon, battalion mortars, and battalion commander? Any fixed call signs for them? I remember our battalion's call sign being a holdover from the Gulf War (Task Force Ripper). Charlie Company, 1st Tank Battalion was "Buzzsaw," 3rd LAR was "Wolfpack." I'm not keen on the US Army stuff, though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stryker platoon is 1A, in the US Army is the callsign "One Alpha" or is it like "Yankee One" or such?

Black - Co. HQ

Red - 1st PLT

White - 2nd PLT

Blue - 3rd PLT

In the cavalry the platoon leader is "1". So 1st platoon's platoon leader would be "Red 1". The Platoon Sergeant is "4", the Senior Scout is "2" and the Junior Scout is "3".

In the infantry the platoon leader is "6". The platoon Sergeant is "7"

Your mission has MGS in play. The Cavalry doesnt have MGS in our Company formations, so your platoon would be an infantry platoon and your call signs would be RED.

RED 6 = Platoon Leader

RED 7 = Platoon Sergeant

MGS: its one of the Companys MGS from the MGS platoon (One stryker Coy is 3 Stryker platoons plus 1 MGS platoon plus HQ section/Plt right?) so it uses same terminology as the stryker platoon?

1 HQ Plt

3 Rifle Plt

1 MGS Plt

1 Mortar Plt

The Chinook. Right now it has C/S 1E, but is there a "normal" callsign for birds in iraq? Like Eagle One?

Thats fine

And on the road up to the Compound you pass through a checkpoint, is the correct terminology "Checkpoint" or is it VCP "Vehicle Check Point", RCP, Road Check Point?

"ECP" is an Entry Control Point that refers to entering/leaving a base. We refer to everything else as Checkpoint. No VCP or RCP

The Stryker platoon has 4 "strykers", one with 40mm and 3 12.7. thats fairly normal isnt? or is the ratio 50/50 in regards to 40mm vs 12.7?

In 2007 we used 4-vehicle convoy's, yes. Weapon assignments are up to the leadership. When I was in Baghdad my 3rd vehicle had a MK19 40mm Grenade Launcher on it, but we preferred the .50 for urban operations because it was easier for Escalation of Force. By doctrine, each section is suppose to have a MK19 - on the platoon leader and platoon sergeant's vehicles.

A US Army Chinook would have a radio callsign. It may start with the Company letter, but not always. Then the platoon number followed by the PICs number. ex from actual CH-47: Colossal 31 (Destroyed Afghanistan 2007) Massive 60 (Destroyed Afghanistan 2006), Big Windy 25 (Destroyed Afghanistan 2006) the CH-47 that was shot down recently with the SEALs onboard was Extortion 17.

Mog

• 1 month later...