For all wingnuts

congo

Round Engines

DEDICATED TO ALL THOSE WHO FLEW BEHIND ROUND ENGINES

We gotta get rid of those turbines, they're ruining aviation and our hearing.

A turbine is too simple minded, it has no mystery. The air travels through it in a straight line and doesn't pick up any of the pungent fragrance of engine oil or pilot sweat.

Anybody can start a turbine. You just need to move a switch from "OFF" to "START" and then remember to move it back to "ON" after a while. My PC is harder to start.

Cranking a round engine requires skill, finesse and style. You have to seduce it into starting. It's like waking up a horny mistress. On some planes, the pilots aren't even allowed to do it.

Turbines start by whining for a while, then give a ladylike poo and start whining a little louder.

Round engines give a satisfying rattle-rattle, click-click, BANG, more rattles, another BANG, a big macho FART or two, more clicks, a lot more smoke and finally a serious low pitched roar. We like that. It's a GUY thing.

When you start a round engine, your mind is engaged and you can concentrate on the flight ahead. Starting a turbine is like flicking on a ceiling fan. Useful, but hardly exciting.

When you have started his round engine successfully your Crew Chief looks up at you like he'd let you kiss his girl, too!

Turbines don't break or catch fire often enough, which leads to aircrew boredom, complacency and inattention. A round engine at speed looks and sounds like it's going to blow any minute. This helps concentrate the mind!

Turbines don't have enough control levers or gauges to keep a pilot's attention. There's nothing to fiddle with during long

> > flights.

Turbines smell like a Boy Scout camp full of Coleman Lamps. Round engines smell like God intended machines to smell.

Pass this on to anyone who flew them, ever in remembrance of that "Greatest Generation."

Some of us still call them Radial Engines

You are completely right, this is one of my baby's when i fly in FS2004:

The adon is made by MAAMSIM: ( the sound is just the GREAT )

http://www.maam.org/maam_sim.html

Long time ago i did some flying ( Steel Beast took over my life ),

i vill get it installed again and make a little movie with B-25.

JT,

I have always been partial to Pratt & Whitney but the Wright R-2600 in the B-25 was a damn good powerplant. I have quite a few hours running them.

Congo

Real life ?, ahh you must be meet with envy.

Found a better clip:

Yes great footage shot from the top turret. I like that they videoed the mag checks at the runup area. Though I have a few hours operating R-2600,s and R-3350,s most of my time has been with the R-985. All of them will give you goosebumps when they are ticking along.

I really enjoy the sound of the R-1340 Wasp. Here in Wisconsin, lots of T-6 Texans (WWII trainers) fly over in July going to the Oshkosh air show. The sound is both wonderful and unmistakable. :)

I'm an FS2004 'pilot' too. I mostly fly jets and light props but also can be found behind the yoke of a DC-7 or Constellation (both have -3350s) from time to time.

Though I have a few hours operating R-2600,s and R-3350,s most of my time has been with the R-985. All of them will give you goosebumps when they are ticking along.

What planes have you flown with the R-985, R-2600, and R-3350?

For me, it's a Merlin. I live in Southampton, and periodically the BBMF aircraft will stage out of here for local shows (apt, as it's the home of the Spitfire). That sound is totally distinctive; I always look up when I hear it.

Modern day, I like the GE F101's of the B-1. Took this at Fairford a couple of years back. Boy are those things loud...

medium.jpg

Stearman's always sound great too:

medium.jpg

J

What planes have you flown with the R-985, R-2600, and R-3350?

Most of my experience is as a maintenence type. The R-2600,s were ona B-25 and the R-3350,s were on a Connie. I do have some flying time time with the Junior Wasp in both U-6 Beavers and Max Holste Broussards.

For me, it's a Merlin. I live in Southampton, and periodically the BBMF aircraft will stage out of here for local shows (apt, as it's the home of the Spitfire). That sound is totally distinctive; I always look up when I hear it.

Modern day, I like the GE F101's of the B-1. Took this at Fairford a couple of years back. Boy are those things loud...

medium.jpg

Stearman's always sound great too:

medium.jpg

J

James I cant argue with you there both the RR Merlins and the Allisons have very distinctive db output and I enjoy hearing them run almost as much as I do radials. For that matter the Griffon is a pretty neat powerplant also. If you ever get the opportunity go to the air races at Reno. To hear a Merlin putting out the big horsepower is something to behold. Powerplants that were designed to put out 60 in Hg that are now being boosted to 120 or so is just incredible.

I've never been to Reno, but I did see an air racing demonstration one year at Oshkosh. I believe it was a R-4360, R-3350, and two Merlins. The sound was quite impressive, especially with the 4360. :shocked:

Most of my experience is as a maintenance type. The R-2600,s were on a B-25 and the R-3350's were on a Connie. I do have some flying time time with the Junior Wasp in both U-6 Beavers and Max Holste Broussards.

Cool. :)

I've never been to Reno, but I did see an air racing demonstration one year at Oshkosh. I believe it was a R-4360, R-3350, and two Merlins. The sound was quite impressive, especially with the 4360. :shocked:

Cool. :)

Sounds like you may have seen some Sea Furys, 51,s or possibly an F2G Corsair. Most of the Sea Furys that were run ar Reno had their Bristol Powerplant replaced with R-3350,s and I believe one even had a 4360. The F2G Corsairs sported an 4360 also but I think they had problems with the airframe being rattled apart. I believe the only F2G flying now belongs to Bob Odegaard up in Kindred North Dakota. It was one that was salvaged from the junkyard some time ago. BTW the original Hawker Sea Furys ran Bristol sleeve valve powerplants.