Comming upgrade thread

oscar19681

Agreed and whilst I have been looking through missions and using the sim it has occurred to me that perhaps some kind of standalone editor may be the holy grail for the mission builder. It also occurred to me that a 'thin client' version of Steel Beasts would be useful.

What I mean is one that purely operates from the map perspective and can be used on a secondary monitor/screen simply to give orders, monitor units and battle field situations with no 3d facility. It would look something like tacview I guess but would be handy to have running on a net book or some less graphic dedicated machine.

Of course the flight sim community has these kind of tools developed in abundance by indy developers due to the more open nature of their software (air traffic control software for the main contenders comes to mind), and of course this would generate the 'we are a small team' response but it would certainly be useful to me and those few people out their with out the processing power to run the full sim but would like to experience the tactical aspects of the sim.

I feel your frustration Oscar but we have all at some point or other been bounced of that iron barrier that is the 'List' and perhaps the only hope for a lot of our wishes is that some other programmer out their reads our wishlists and decide's that perhaps this in an area for healthy competition?

At least for now Ssnake and family provide us with a forum for our thoughts to be heard.

Who knows perhaps there will be a tanking daddy warbux out their listening?

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

Yes, we all agree that the Map Editor's scrolling list of 100+ objects needs to change. However, keep in mind that just a year ago we only had 15 or so objects in the editor and people were complaining about that. Now we have too many objects in the editor. In any case, the interface has to catch up with the influx of objects, yes. Whether this will happen in the next update has not yet been decided however (there are much bigger things to do at the moment). ;)

Maybe you guys can start a new thread on your ideas on how the Map Editor object list should be different. We would certainly like to hear ideas there for consideration.

It should also be understood that our development plan has a planning horizon of about 12...15 months, so whatever you say here can usually NOT have an influence on the immediate work for the next upgrade (be it this specific one in Q4/2011 or any other future upgrade).

How about this:

Version numbers on the DVD? (I have three now, the only difference is a copyright date.)

Oh wait, DVDs are old hat now aren't they? Bu**er.

• Members
How about this:

Version numbers on the DVD? (I have three now, the only difference is a copyright date.)

It's much cheaper to recycle the existing cover artwork. But feel free to use a red felt tip pen and add the number yourself. Or put it in a sleeve with the version number. ;)

Oscar, you are not alone with some of your wishes so I do feel your pain. But everytime I want to voice my wish for certain eye candy and vehicles I need to remind myself of eSim's obligations to their primary customers, namely the military. That there's even a company that provides a modern tank sim with a high level of fidelity is a big enough piece of humble-pie for me to eat (in fact I may need another piece of it when the next upgrade arrives). But I will remain hopeful and supportive for as long as I can. That said, I have two questions:

1) How much will the upgrade cost?

2) Is SB2 still on the distant horizon or is it irrelevant by the time all ProPE updates have been completed?

• Members

1. No decision has been made yet, but I expect it to be in a similar price region to what we had before.
  2. The development work for SB2 has been suspended until further notice, two or three years ago. I'd still love to do it one day, but not only is it questionalble that we will find the time for it, it's also a much bigger business risk with the changing consumer behaviors where traditional computer game making may no longer work.

That being said, I think the coming SB Pro PE version will have the one or other feature for you and Oscar, too. :)

I think because there is not yet a system for injured, or wounded crew. ie crew with a degraded capability. So atm its an on/off thing, alive and dead.

You have to consider the complexity of it. Tree size, vehicle weight, speed. On top of that some crew members would be more likely to be injured than others, eg the loader on an M1 or Leo.

Its one of those things everyone would like to see improved.

Remember though, in reality tankers avoid ramming into things. Tanks are some of the toughest machines man can make. But that's still not very tough...

You hit at tree, it doesn't fall forward as you expected, it falls back toward the tank. One branch jams inside the GPS doghouse, completely destroying everything inside. Another onto the TC cupla, breaking the barrel off of the HMG, and busting several of the TC's periscopes. Other branches damage antennas, and the wind sensor on the rear of the turret.

Oh BTW you are in a war zone, and there are enemy all over this damn place. Not a good place to be.

1. No decision has been made yet, but I expect it to be in a similar price region to what we had before.
  2. The development work for SB2 has been suspended until further notice, two or three years ago. I'd still love to do it one day, but not only is it questionalble that we will find the time for it, it's also a much bigger business risk with the changing consumer behaviors where traditional computer game making may no longer work.

That being said, I think the coming SB Pro PE version will have the one or other feature for you and Oscar, too. :)

Hmmm that sounds quite prommising! Looking forward for the upgrade so i can play online with everyone agian (i skipped the last upgrade)

• Members
I don't even think they're necessarily "dead", just "incapitated". This can happen easily enough if you're hit (or even just brushed) by a tree branch while looking the wrong way.. usually the man gives, not tree..

Exactly. I had a few close calls during my time, and that taught me some respect. Maybe a bit too much, but the message is pretty simple. Be careful in them forests, and if you want to go speedy, avoid them in the first place. Don't forget - while you may gain a little stealth for a limited time, you are giving up most of the greatest advantages of a tank in a forest - high mobility and superior stand-off range. At the same time you further reduce the already poor visibility.

"High mobility" is not just a matter of practical top speed. It's also about your freedom to maneuver away from a road or narrow path. While it is true that you can run over most of the trees that are too close to wiggle through, the trees in SB Pro are on average 15m away from each other. With those distances they are usually so big already (in real life) that they cannot be run over, or only at great difficulty after repeated attempts.

With those distances they are usually so big already (in real life) that they cannot be run over, or only at great difficulty after repeated attempts.

And by that time all that nice delicate electronic gear in the turret will have been jolted around so much that you are likely back to steam gunnery (or worse) anyway (even if the crew are OK).

• Members

Oh, I'd actually be a bit more optimistic for all internal equipment. Electronics in tanks are SUPPOSED to be shock proofed, both with electronic transient protectors as well as cushioned against mechanical shock.

The biggest threats IMO are tree parts falling on exposed crew members (if hatches not closed), ripping/breaking/mangling externally stowed equipment, and the root ball high-centering the tank hull so that the tracks lose traction if the tank pushes over the entire tree to the front instead of breaking the trunk with the bow (even then the tree stump may on occasion block your advance).

Oh, I'd actually be a bit more optimistic for all internal equipment. Electronics in tanks are SUPPOSED to be shock proofed, both with electronic transient protectors as well as cushioned against mechanical shock.

The biggest threats IMO are tree parts falling on exposed crew members (if hatches not closed), ripping/breaking/mangling externally stowed equipment, and the root ball high-centering the tank hull so that the tracks lose traction if the tank pushes over the entire tree to the front instead of breaking the trunk with the bow (even then the tree stump may on occasion block your advance).

I guess Radio Aerials would be the first things to go?

the biggest disadvantage of driving in forests, is that anyone outside has fairly good visibility into a forest, while those inside of it has limited visibility out of it.

Yet AI in SB seems to think if you're in a forest then you're invisible, and if you have an AI TC in the tank then it can't see a damn thing too.