Comming upgrade thread

oscar19681

I can understand the commander being responsible as he has greater situational awareness and can clearly see the direction and elevation from the turret. But if its the driver who has to be aware do you have any screens or dials indicating the turret's direction? Does it also show elevation when driving downhill into ditches for example?

Not that I'm aware off. But when the driver is driving he can normally see the barrel infront/above of him (just like in SB if you try the driver station out) so if he can't see the tube above him there is a good chance it's somewhere it shouldn't be when moving through a forest. And if the driver sees he will pass by trees to close to comfort he will shout "turret 12!" and the gunner will swing the gun to 12, then normally the driver shouts "clear" or "ok" or whatever to let the gunner know he's clear to swing the gun back.

I can't imagine the driver has a great field-of-view unlike the commander when it comes to this, especially your post regarding traffic. Can a tank driver clearly see to the left and right for other vehicles? I would assume you have quite a few 'blind spots' in your view.

Nah, hes blind as a mother fucker in most tanks. a few peris front of him that dont give the best view. But its good enough for driving. but its like a clear field between 10 and 2 I would say. at 3 o clock he don't see shit and has to rely on the TC to guide him.

The reason the driver (In Sweden) is responsibly for keeping the turret clear is pretty simple.

Imagen this: you are driving through a forest road with light tree population, you get contacts on the other side of the forest at 3 o clock and decide to engage on the move, so gunner start to track and fire on targets, TC confirms hits and looks for new target and slave the gun to new targets at 3 o clock. for many vital seconds both gunner and TC is focusing at the area between 2 and 4 o clock to find and engage the enemys. Meanwhile the tank is driving in ca 25km/h on that forest road and trees are getting closer to the road. Who has biggest chance of always see the trees? The driver who's entire world is between 10 and 2 o clock (Where the trees will show up) or the TC who's world are from 12 to 12 with focus right now on the area between 2 and 4? - Obvious the driver has the best conditions to warn about those damned trees.

Edit: one thing just struck me: the difference in SOP regarding who is responsibly for the trees could mutch be down to the different tanks used by the country's. If you look at the drivers slot on a Challenger 2 and compare to a Strv121/122 there is a huge difference in views for the driver...

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the explanation Kingtiger, very helpful. :thumbup:

Your description of driving in a forest whilst engaging targets makes perfect sense. The last thing the commander needs to worry about is how close he is to a tree when focusing on an enemy tank! :)

Cheers mate.

Q

Yepp. that happened me once in the army. I was busy engaging targets in my PBV302, didn't see the branch (ca 15cm thick). it hit my helmet, pressed me down into the turret and ripted of my hatch which felt of and landed on the roof of the PBV.

In Steelbeats its has happened more times then I can think of :biggrin:

Sure but because there is no commander’s override for the accelerator unfortunately there tends to be a lag between “slow down there’s a tree coming” to “stop” to “STOP!” to “you $%$&^#$ $%@#^@$%^ #$^$@$%^@$%&@ is there something wrong with your headset!”

This “conversation” is usually followed by a more intimate and physical discussion between the driver and the gunner.

While the commander starts the paperwork.

I agree that it is the crew commanders job to keep the barrel of his tank out of the way of trees, posts and the like. There is a huge difference between managing the turret of a tank compared to a T50 turret...

• 2 weeks later...

I can understand the commander being responsible as he has greater situational awareness and can clearly see the direction and elevation from the turret. But if its the driver who has to be aware do you have any screens or dials indicating the turret's direction? Does it also show elevation when driving downhill into ditches for example?

Q

The driver of the Cv9040A-C has a presentation-unit that shows the direction of the turret, as well as if the gun is outside the hull. It don´t show elevation on the CV9040.

The TC has a similair unit, he can also controll how much the gunner can swing the gun by using two modes:

"Frontpansar till" limiting the canon movement to within the hull. Very usefull in forests.

"Obegränsad Riktmod" this overrides the "normal" traverse limitation, and allows the gunner to go 360degree.

hi i like to see a crewable Challenger 1 or 2 and unbuttoned [payable] loaders in the sim. also use the commanders .50 unbuttoned.

1.) Think the "loaders" MG question popped up before.

In what tactical situation you'd think the loaders MG would be used?

(Not that I'm against it!! I just question its training value)

2.) The commaders MG on the M1A1(HA) is modelled as it is in the version IRL.

Maybe the real M1 Jockeys can give some insight of other setups?

Good thing is: The CR2 is allready confirmed with the crew positions (Driver/Gunner/Cmr)

Don't know about the "F1-view" there.

1.) Think the "loaders" MG question popped up before.

In what tactical situation you'd think the loaders MG would be used?

(Not that I'm against it!! I just question its training value)

[/...]

In Germany this Training Table is called "MG Üb 2". All Crew Members must know how to shoot the MG 3 at ground Targets....

What if your Track is lost and 3 Man have to work on it...

What if you have to fight against multible soft Targets.....

What if you need firepower in two different directions (drive trough the woods)....

What if you have to cover the close Area around the Tank....

50. cal is a extreme cool peace of Steel, i wish we could have something like this on the Leop too !!

• Members
50. cal is a extreme cool peace of Steel

Until you fire a few rounds.. had a gunner at a live fire exercise who shot off his available ammo then thought it would be a good idea to hold on to the barrel while dismounting the PC.. luckily there was snow on the ground to put his hand in after he did that ;)

• 2 weeks later...

More smoke effects- this area has been improved with artillery, it would still be useful with burning objects.

If you've seen apartment complexes burn, it should look like this:

SS_16_29_28.jpg

Rather than this:

SS_16_32_36.jpg

Burning vehicles too would telegraph their positions better, sometimes you could miss them unless they were within a few meters:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Even my simulation is comparatively weak:

Type_69_Operation_Desert_Storm.jpg

More building types please, and lots of them, lets add to the clutter. The last upgrade in that respect was EXCELLENT, but we need more of that quality.

The current Trees and Bushes could do with slightly more compact way of creating hedgerows. I have no idea how difficult that would be to do but it would look great in close country, currently it is nearly impossible to get them close enough to look right.

And the real world is full of ditches, I have been in enough of them to know !!! Give me holes, long holes, short holes, deep holes, anywhere to hide from them tank thingies.

Static ships to go on the sea, would that ever be possible I wonder. Imagine hammering along the coast road with a couple of LPH/LPA's out there, and a tanker or support ship. That's a big ask I know.

Whatever you guys do you normally do it well, so bring it on.

I would eventually like to see an option for tanks to be able to stow the loaders MG. Currently the loaders position in regard to being able to fire the MG is not modeled so having a feature that would allow you to dismount the weapon would be nice in regard to spotting from the TIM/PERI.

Having control logic on the support window would be a welcome addition too.

Static ships to go on the sea, would that ever be possible I wonder. Imagine hammering along the coast road with a couple of LPH/LPA's out there, and a tanker or support ship.

If we get ships in SB, then I also want trains

(railroadtracks are useless right now !)

:-)

If we get ships in SB, then I also want trains

(railroadtracks are useless right now !)

:-)

If you want a train simulator, you probably ought to get railworks.

http://railsimulator.com/

OTOH, if someone put in one of those nice soviet armoured trains that had T55 turrets in SteelBeasts, Id certainly buy it. Its too bad armoured trains have gone out of favour around the world. They were fun.:)

The cross country mobility is also second to none, since the environment is engineered to suit them, not the other way around.

You do have a problem with IEDs, discovered as least as long ago as the Arab Revolt (and track wrecking went on during the US Civil war of course) OTOH, its not like tanks are immune to IEDs either, and occasional come a cropper to them in choke points.

Meanwhile, back to the thread.:biggrin: