Saturday the 3rd September

Zipuli

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, let's see who wants to do what. Just quote this list and add yourself in the unit you would like to play in... Brun will then distribute players to seats he needs filled when the game is played. Please also say if Sunday 4th 1800GMT or Saturday 3rd 1200 GMT is a no-go for you.

RECCE PLATOON (4x M113A3, 2x Humvee): Kingtiger,

ATGM PLATOON (4x M3A2 damaged (no troops, no 25mm) to simulate M901):

CO B COY (M1): Brun

XO B COY (M1):

FO B COY (FIST): Hedge

1st Platoon (M1):

2nd Platoon (M1):

3rd Platoon (M1):

4th Platoon (M113A3):

5th Platoon (M88, M113med, M113rep):

OPFOR (1-2 helping hands to operate red): Zipuli,

To make it a bit more interesting, all radios, except FO's, in this scenario are damaged. This means your own unit will update in the F5 view, but not other blue units. Also losing the FO will lose the ability to call in artillery fires. This is the 1980s you know. Hopefully this will lead to better communication and simpler plans on the blue side. The map is very tank friendly and "easy" to play at (Ft Hood NE corner). The tank coy has M1(A0) Abrams tanks, with the appropriate ammo for the era, so penetration is not very high. For the heavy tank killing, the "M901" with TOW-2s (4x 12 in the platoon) is the weapon of choise! Better keep them alive then. And wasting TOWs on BTRs is not recommended, as resupply will not arrive untill later in the series of missions.

I will post up the scenario and blue side briefing here later during this week so you can see the terrain and the battlefield and Brun can plan his operation.

RECCE PLATOON (4x M113A3, 2x Humvee): Kingtiger, krause

XO B COY (M1):

1st Platoon (M1): krause

2nd Platoon (M1):

3rd Platoon (M1):

4th Platoon (M113A3):

OK so I want to be kingtiger's 2ic, but if we need the other slots filled, I would like a m1 platoon. Up to you zipuli.

Also this has been on my calendar for a month so I am 100% attending.

I´d like to announce, that German speaking PzBtl911 is joining with min. 4 players. Perhaps we could join a M1 platoon together for now :)

XO B COY (M1):

1st Platoon (M1): krause

2nd Platoon (M1): Falli, Dr.Thodt, Hapag, Manteuffel UPDATE 02.09.11

3rd Platoon (M1):

4th Platoon (M113A3):

Edited by Falli

XO B COY (M1):Jazjar

1st Platoon (M1):krause

2nd Platoon (M1):Falli, Dr.Thodt, Hapag

3rd Platoon (M1):

4th Platoon (M113A3):

XO all the way! Anyways, I might not be able to make it on Saturday, but I'm free on Sunday.

Edited by jazjar

Anyways, what will the XO's role be?

I don't know what Zipuli had in mind, but in reality a taskforce, combat team etc XO does the following:

1. 2nd in succession of command, knows the plan and can take command if the CO dies or is unreachable

2. Arranges logistics and ensures BN trains are moving

3. Nominal ranking tactical commander in important movements or areas

4. generally being a pain in the ass and making sure everyone is doing what they are supposed to

Full screen

Yeah - I can't do that because Skype, and possibly other programs, causes me to white screen. I don't want to take that risk if another program other than Skype does that, so i'm running in window for the game on sunday. Hopefully it won't mess up fraps/youtube too bad.

Anyways, what will the XO's role be?

Well here’s a base line set of jobs:

Well in Aust doctrine (and I suspect at least UK and Canadian too), the XO (or more correctly for us 2IC) for a Sqn or CT, usually a CAPT, role includes:

Runs the battle while the OC (Officer Commanding = US Coy CO), a MAJ, is away from the CP.

Often runs current OPs if the OC is off planning future OPs.

If the plan requires two TPs (PLs) each commanded by a LT in one place (say on a ABF) then he goes too to command it.

If there’s a mixed grouping (Tk Tp and Mech Inf PL) he commands it.

Control the echelon (repair and recovery assets). Makes sure the Sqn / CT is replenished at the right time in the right place. Co-ords Battle replen between callsigns (to ensure the planned effect is still achieved - weight of fire maintained etc.).

Provides advice / sounding board to the OC (in private).

If conducting a delay, he will command one group, while the OC commands the other to ensure maximum delay is achieved between bounds (i.e. ensure people “hold the line” in his group).

Carries the other half of the JTAC party to provide redundancy.

Understudies the OC.

Any job where the OC wants someone with more experience than a LT TP Ldr.

Other jobs as directed.

Probably enough for starters ....

At BG its similar but he’s a MAJ and the pieces are bigger.

Additional stuff though:

If the BG is giving up a Tk Sqn and gaining a Mech Coy he may go to the other BG HQ to provide Armoured advice to that CO, freeing the detached Sqn OC to fight his Sqn.

XO B COY (M1):Jazjar

1st Platoon (M1):krause

2nd Platoon (M1):Falli, Dr.Thodt, Hapag

3rd Platoon (M1): JohnO

4th Platoon (M113A3):

I'll be there, Zip, M1 Platoon.

Edited by JohnO

I will be the OPFOR "coordinator" and the OPFOR players (a few people) will work as "operators" for units. It will not be normal H2H, it'll be more about having more intelligent (hopefully :D) opposing force that will save me a couple of years of scripting and testing! IIRC we did one mission in the Congo campaign same way and it did bring a LOT more fun and challenge for the blue side players.

The OPFOR will also have its own mission and will decide a few important things along the way sticking to a plan, so finding out bits and pieces of this plan by recon and such will be essential for the blue side (and there will be a twist or two for the recon to succeed!). Being able to predict what is going to happen next and where will hopefully give the blue side a chance to not die horribly! The scenarios (4) will be phases of the single battle, but the outcome is what comes out of it, the battle will develop freely!

I remember the operation vigilant guardian scene with human controlled red. Might have been the one I lost My entire platoon of cv/90's in a massive ied trap on the only road we could travel. Any sense of safety would be quickly shattered by a well timed Human red attack on rear area supply stuff, or during vulnerable periods like breaching obsticles.

I don't know what Zipuli has in store for us but My first order is to stay on high alert from start to finnish. Especialy when you start to feel safe.