The latest nvidia drivers (august 2011) make SB pro lock up uncontrollably

krause

See thread title.

If you have the august 2011 nvidia drivers, it causes the game to lock up uncontrollably. Symptoms are, mission starts off fine, then 3-5 seconds later the screen becomes stuck. If you ctrl-alt-delete it will unfreeze the screen for 1-2 seconds, then lock up again, and again.

Greetings all,

Reference the Nvidia drivers, please specify the exact version from Aug. that you are referring to. Are you operating Win XP or Win 7, 32bit or 64bit. Series 200,300,400,500 card. As not all systems will experience the same results from the same drivers.

The last drivers I have installed were the

release date: 2011.08.09,

version: 280.26 WHQL,

file size: 100 MB

Later,

9erRed

Correct, it was 280.26. I have since rolled back Also:

http://www.krauselabs.net/dump/dxdiag.txt

For those who are in distress and reading this, what I used to roll back was an amazing feature of windows 7:

If you go to device manager for your 3d card, there is an option to rollback the drivers. All you do is click on it and it automagically rolls you back. Such a sweet feature.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Actually, it does. There is already a workaround - older drivers - and unless there was really a compelling reason for it, it'd be a poor use of limited programming time to devote it to program around certain weird driver quirks that are likely to be eliminated in later driver versions (only to let us discover then that the programmed workaround then causes other problems for which yet another fix is needed).

I'd rather concentrate us working on actually useful stuff, and keep the responsibilities where they belong - drivers with the hardware vendors, application quality with eSim.

Actually, it does. There is already a workaround - older drivers - and unless there was really a compelling reason for it, it'd be a poor use of limited programming time to devote it to program around certain weird driver quirks that are likely to be eliminated in later driver versions (only to let us discover then that the programmed workaround then causes other problems for which yet another fix is needed).

I'd rather concentrate us working on actually useful stuff, and keep the responsibilities where they belong - drivers with the hardware vendors, application quality with eSim.

Agree lets hope Nvidia fix this :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the game and had a lock-up. Downloaded the new beta drivers and after 2 scenarios had another lock up. First time was just driving (before installing new beta drivers). This time was firing the Bradley 25. Gun locked and just kept firing. It's definitely the NVIDIA drivers causing this. It is well reported on the web. I can't use Firefox without getting the "drivers have stopped working" message. Funny thing is IE9 never does this.:shocked:

• 2 weeks later...