Saturday 17th Sep, 1800GMT, Gatekeeper mission 3

Zipuli

After the red steamroller pushed aside the blue delaying screen, two hours have passed. The soviets had suffered enough casualties, and the battalion main body managed to get in position in time, so the red didn't manage to destroy the blue in a meeting engagement. Also the destruction of red armour recon elements in missions 1-2, has left them blind. During these 2 hours the red has sent in patrols to reconnoiter the Bn main defenses - the assault is imminent. The bets are placed.

After the sudden death of the Bn Commander, Brun has taken over command. The defending companies (AI) will carry on with the mission issued - stopping the enemy attack in their AOR. The few hours the blue side had available have been used to strenghten the reserve force, which is built around the remains of Bravo Company. All the cooks, clercs, mechanics, hang-arounders have been called to arms. Now everything possible is mobilized, so it's either a winning hand, or then it will get ugly, quick. The new BRAVO reserve force is organized as follows:

CO/B, XO/B, 10/B = same as before

1/B (4x M1) = remaining BRAVO tanks

2/B (2x M1) = command tanks from 2nd Tank Coy (CO/XO)

3/B (4x M113A3) = All the possible people with a weapon, packed in APCs gathered from HQ Coy and Support Coy

4/B (4x M113A3) = original BRAVO inf platoon, with casualties replaced with mechanics from Support Coy

5/B (C/S) = in original form

8/B (4x M1) = Remaining callsign from 2nd Tank Coy, which has 2 platoons supporting the inf companies. Good thing they had M1s, not Pattons, eh?

9/B (C/S) = 2nd Tank Coy combat support, identical to 5/B

10/B (FIST) = 2nd Tank Coy FO vehicle

1/F (2x M3 TOW) = remaining 1F vehicle + F Coy CO's M901.

For Artillery support there is 2 Batteries (6x) M109, with all ICM expended in mission 2, and the mortar coy with 6x 107mm mortar. There is also a pair of F-15 Strike Fighters on station, but they will fly above the Tunguska reach, so only bombing is possible. The support is arranged so, that the fighter pairs will rotate to support for the duration of the fighting.

The radio damage is removed, as the defending companies report straight to B Coy (=Bn acting) CO.

BRAVO COY (BRUN) MISSION:

With a counter attack, destroy the attacking enemy before they can reach the 84/36 crossroads. Prepare to continue the attack east to destroy enemy support elements beyond South Mountain.

You decide the time and direction of attack according to situation in the companies' AOR.

Attacking too early may leave you under the enemy barrages. Going in too late will let the enemy destroy the defending units piece-meal... Remember, try to keep ALL blue side units alive.

The mission will end when

a) the red force reaches its objective and blue side is combat ineffective

b) the red attack runs out of steam

Here is the mission file as well.

56e83ca70143c_Gatekeepermission3_zip.1ea

Gatekeeper mission 3.zip

What is the practical limit to adjustment of fire? Could you drop more than a kilometer if needed or would it be better to rework a new solution?

Immediate suppression = response time of 2:50 sec

Adjust Fire = Response time of 2:50 sec, then Click "Adjust Fire" = Response time of 40 Sec.

("Read the Manual Numbnuts" or "Run the Tutorial Numbnuts")

Now avaliable this Sat, not that it matters anymore.

Immediate suppression = response time of 2:50 sec

Adjust Fire = Response time of 2:50 sec, then Click "Adjust Fire" = Response time of 40 Sec.

("Read the Manual Numbnuts" or "Run the Tutorial Numbnuts")

Now avaliable this Sat, not that it matters anymore.

How about "That's not what I asked Numbnuts" or "reread my post Numbnuts, cause its about distance not time"

So go find it in the tutorials or manual for me. :diable:

I was thinking along the lines of real life....how far away from the target would you consider it a new fire mission?

Greetings all,

Ref the "How far away is too far" for arty adjustment:

IRL it would depend on the source of the fire and the quantity of tubes firing. (blast radius of 500mtrs for some ammo)

The Arty already disperse the round impact locations to their guns so a distance of 1000mtrs may still fall within the "target" area depending on the original stated target size. ( Example of a company of dug in infantry with support)

With SB Pro Pe, the FOO doing the shooting will need to keep in mind the original bearing the mission was sent with as all the corrections are taken from that reference, so a correction of "right 200" may now end up being "right 100 and Add 100" to service the target. ( And as the corrections increase the "offset" increases) An additional note also is if the "shoot" was a "called" mission or sent from a "registered" Arty reference.

IRL the Guns would automatically have done this calculation, but the FOO may initiate a new "mission" for the remainder of the shoot.

There are past and present Arty trade members within this forum and they may or may not comment on this, "comms security in effect".

All for now,

9erRed

Little things in that OPORD...

Just one really...

Its not "F-15 Strike Fighter". Its "F-15 Strike Eagle".

Or you could just say.... "F-15Es" which would honestly never get the job of Close Air Support (CAS). They pack WAY too much firepower for that job. A F-16, AV-8B, F/A-18, or even a A10C.

But thats just me nit picking.

Or you could just say.... "F-15Es" which would honestly never get the job of Close Air Support (CAS). They pack WAY too much firepower for that job. A F-16, AV-8B, F/A-18, or even a A10C.

HOW can you have too much Firepower for CAS?! :)

But My Pick would be the AV-8B (USMC Version) or Harrier GR9 (RAF CAS Version).

I was thinking along the lines of real life....how far away from the target would you consider it a new fire mission?

Um, in Real Life, No idea, down to the individual FOO, I guess.

In SB I use a new mission everytime, unless units are mainly under the previous mission's red rectangle of death.

I find using multiple missions makes selecting a repeat easier, as I believe SB isn't too great at updating a missions adjusted area.

However the map does become cluttered, it is a balance between keeping missions your likely to need and those which can be discarded.