Help with update to 2.546 and 2.552

blazer05

Snake - there are 3 error messages:

Generic Application Error. Switching to the reference rasterizer, a software device that implements the entire Direct3D set, but runs very slowly.

Warning: Nothing will be rendered. The reference rendering device was selected, but your computer only has a reduced-functionality reference device installed. Install the Direct X SDK to get the full reference device.

Generic application error. The program will now exit.

• Members

We all have on (rare) occasions these messages (about every other year or so). I have no idea why they sometimes appear. They eluded all attempts to properly debug them, so far. Basically it just says that the graphics card failed to initialize properly. I have had cases where by just waiting a day the problem went away without further action. I can't explain it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having similar troubles. It runs fine when I install off the original disk which has version 2.460. when I download and run the upgrade for 2.552 I get the errors. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program and I have DirectX 11 on a windows 7 machine. Wondering if I should just wait for the 2.6 disc?

The installation notes are pretty clear.

SB Pro PE needs Direct X 9.

Regardless of whether you have Direct X 11 or not.

MicroSloth as usual didn't build on Direct X 9 to make Direct X 11, so Direct X 11 doesn't include the "stuff" from Direct X 9 that SB Pro PE needs.

In summary the best option is to uninstall any copy of SB Pro PE that you have and reinstall 2.538 (including Direct X 9c) and then install the 2.552 patch.

You can skip 2.546.

Edited by Gibsonm

• 1 year later...
Snake - there are 3 error messages:

Generic Application Error. Switching to the reference rasterizer, a software device that implements the entire Direct3D set, but runs very slowly.

Warning: Nothing will be rendered. The reference rendering device was selected, but your computer only has a reduced-functionality reference device installed. Install the Direct X SDK to get the full reference device.

Generic application error. The program will now exit.

For the benefit of those googleing the error message later I would like to reaffirm that this is solved by reinstalling Steel Beasts, in my case 2.654. It did not require reinstalling directx, codemeter support or uninstalling anything first. Simply install SB over itself again, problem solved.

Not that it makes sense but that is what it was for me.