Steel Beasts Legacy

Shadows_Fall

Hello, I have a few questions about SB1.

First off, why is it no longer sold? I'd have much preferred to buy it from Esim, and thereby support them, than buy it from someone on Ebay. Doesn't Esim realize there are still benefits to selling it? For example, I've been interested in armor for quite awhile, and have finally decided to get an armor sim. SB PRO PE is too expensive for me right now, but a twenty or thirty dollar sim isn't.

Secondly, Does anyone still play SB1? I've always been a single-player kinda guy, but over the past year or two, I've found I like co-op play a lot.

And I doubt Steel Beast's single player is a third as good as the multi-player.

Also, I'm sure I can, but it never hurts to ask, can I play with people using the gold version?

Thirdly, can the standard version be fully patched? I noticed one advantage of the gold version is it's patched, does this mean further upgrades were made, and are only available to the gold version, or does this simply mean the gold version is installed with all patches?

I think there was some legal issue or something. Ssnake would have to answer that in case you cant find more info about that with the search function.

There is (was?) a guy named Lonny007 that plays SB1 still. He have a website somewhere where he post scenarios and get games going etc. Also, if you put up a post in the MP forums im sure you can find someone who would be interested in playing SB1 with you.

Yes the standard 1.00 version can be patched up to whatever the latest build was. The patches are posted somewhere on this site i believe, if not, just send me a PM with your email and i'll send the patches to you.

• Members

www.eSimGames.com/Downloads.htm has all the patches that you need.

SB1 is obsolete. Continuing to support it would have drained time and energy from us that we needed for SB Pro. If you're serious about supporting us, save your bucks until you can buy SB Pro PE. You'll find it to have all that SB1 offers and then a lot, lot more.

I am another SB1 player. There are too many other things on my wish-list to spend $125 ATM, even on something as high-quality as Pro PE.

There is no difference between Gold and a fully-patched version.

I definitely recommend downloading improved textures and skins. There are even 512x512 skins for the Abrams and Bradley, which looks infinitely better than the stock skins, although they are infinitely worse than Pro PE. :)

I am definitely interested in MP head-to-head or co-op. Don't expect any remotely good tactics out of me, though. :biggrin:

Thanks for the replies, and links.

SB1 is obsolete. Continuing to support it would have drained time and energy from us that we needed for SB Pro.

Would it not be possible to still sell it, but not offer patches, etc.?

Would it be possible to make it freeware, or possibly even open source, since you no longer sell or support it? The way I see it, if eSim made SB1 freeware, a lot of people would try it, as they'd have nothing to lose, and the ones who liked it would probably buy the PRO PE.

I am definitely interested in MP head-to-head or co-op. Don't expect any remotely good tactics out of me, though. :biggrin:

Ah, if we ever play perhaps I could teach you something. It seems I'm a master tactician, no matter what I do, I always have the perfect tactics to get myself killed. :biggrin: But seriously, once I get to know the sim, I'd like to try some CO-OP.

SB1 can be found for so cheap, its almost freeware. The demo is also still floating around on the net for people to try.

As for open source - no, it doesnt make sense. Half of the code lives on in Pro PE.

Yes, but making it completely free would draw more people. For example, had SB1 been freeware, I would've had it years ago. For another example, I'm currently struggling with paypal to accept my debit card so I can pay for SB1.

Well, I just threw open source in, I didn't figure it was very likely, as I was pretty sure SB PRO PE used a lot of SB1's code.