The 2.620 COOP Campaign bulletin

Zipuli

Now that the cat is firmly on the table... It's time to reveal the coming PE COOP Campaign!

t72m3vidv9.jpg

(The following is written with tongue-on-cheek and is fully made up by me.)

MOSCOW, May 1996

Reuters

"The bad news have reached western media: the leading presidential election candidate, current president of Russian Federation, Boris Jeltsin has just died. The cause of the death is not yet fully known, but it seems like a "natural" death in the current situation: either too much, or too poisoned vodka. This leaves two prominent candidates running for presidency: the openly pro-communist Gennadi Zjuganov and Vladimir Žirinovski, founder and the leader of the Liberal Democratic Party of Russia (LDPR)...

Whatever the result, the current fragile stability in foreign affairs is most likely going to change radically. It's believed, that both will try to regain the former glory and strenghten the self-esteem of the russian people by playing hardball with the west."

250px-Zhirinovsky_Vladimir.jpg

Vladimir Žirinovski giving a speech about regaining the year 1900 borders of the holy mother Russia.

HELSINKI, July 1996

Helsingin Sanomat

"Following the unexpected death of president Zjuganov (too much or too poisoned vodka it seems), Vladimir Žirinovski has been appointed the president of Russia. He has promised that one day his soldiers "will be able to wash their feet in the warm waters of Indian Ocean". This and other aggressive statements made by him and his regime have got the Finnish people nervous. President Martti Ahtisaari has been negotiating with the russians ever since the death of Zjuganov, but it seems Žirinovski is very serious about regaining Russian control on the "illegally lost" parts of Russian Federation. He also reminded mr. Ahtisaari about the illegal and agitating finnish claims of Karelian isthmus lost in WW2."

PAROLA, HÄMEENLINNA, late July 1996

1st Armour Brigade Commander's briefing to Battalion and Company key personnel

"...so as you can see in this intel report, the Russians have again increased their military presence around St. Petersburg, Viipuri (Vyborg) and Sortavala. They have assembled a force of one army in strenght, supported by strong air element and one air assault division. They have been throwing big exercises near the border, where the motor rifle regiment sized units have practised meeting engagement and pursuit attacks in wooded terrain using live ammunition. They are in 48h alert and in 95% strenght. The trouble seems to be the ill maintained equipment: only 75% of their armoured vehicles and 50% of air assets are fully operational. Their troops have experience from the Chechen campaign the Russians lost in 1995 that culminated in the devastating Battle of Grozny. We believe the motivation of the soldiers is not the best possible, but still the amount of forces concentrated near the border makes that partially irrelevant..."

PAROLA, HÄMEENLINNA, early August 1996

Commander, 3rd Battalion, 1st Armour Brigade, briefing to company commanders and key personnel

"...as you can see, the refresher training has paid off. We got our men equipment running like clockwork, they are ready if something happens in the political front, that needs our contribution. Some have asked, for a good reason, if our equipment is a match for the latest russian T-80 tanks. Yes, they are better vehicles, I'd sure like to have some of them too, but once we're fighting eye to eye, it all comes down to skill and morale of individual tankers. And I am not worried. We have trained fighting against better equipment than ours, and we will still continue to do so. We got the home field advantage here, we know the terrain and the tricks. So worry not!

The battalion is now in full strenght as you know. The main fighting forces: armoured recon platoon (4x BMP-2), anti-armour platoon (4x BMP-2, AT-5 launchers), the SPAA platoon (2x Marksman), both tank companies (10x T-72M1 each) and pzjäger companies (10x BMP-1PS each), the mortar company (9x 120mm mortar towed by MTLBv) and all the supporting units are ready for anything. We will continue live fire training once version 2.620 is out, first one to go is 1st Tank Company (COOP company)... Be ready when the order is issued!"

PAROLA, HÄMEENLINNA, early August 1996

1st Sergeant, 1st Tank Company, 3rd Battalion, 1st Armour Brigade

"OK guys, we got the 10 T-72M1 tanks ready for the coming live fire exercise. But I lost the damn name list again... And my memory is what you guys know it is... So, once again, let's hear the names:

CO (T-72M1): Captain ____________

FO (FO vehicle X): 1st Lieutenant ____________

XO (all terrain vehicle X): 1st Lieutenant ___________

Leader 1st Platoon (T-72M1): 2nd Lieutenant ____________

Wingman (T-72M1): Sergeant _______________

Wingman (T-72M1): Corporal _______________

Leader 2nd Platoon (T-72M1): 2nd Lieutenant ____________

Leader 3rd Platoon (T-72M1): 2nd Lieutenant ____________

Quartermaster (all terrain vehicle X): Staff Sergeant _______________

Just keep them coming!"

The campaign will commence once 2.620 is out and players have had some time to practise with the T-72. Server version will be used, so all are welcome! Remember the gunner's seats and support arms are also playable, so even with "only" 13 names on the list above, there will be more seats!

I may even have a better connection by then! More info will follow in this thread!

Zip Out!

T-72M1_10.jpg

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, not overly excited (after all you are asking me to crew a target).

LOL, yeah true, but this is the REAL tanker's tank, without all them cewl gadgets doind all the work for you! Let's see dem skillzzz!

OPFOR seats also available, especially for a guy with your knowledge of these matters! Let it grow on you =)

What a bunch of sorry-ass raci..err I mean tankists!!!(?)

Well I don't know about the others, but I've spent the best part of the last 30yrs preparing to defend against T-72 (and other T variants) equipped forces and engaging them (either mock ups or hulks) on the range.

A bit like asking a career policeman to be a crook I guess.

I'll take a Wingman/Corporal T-72 slot for the time being, in any of the platoons. I'll get as ready as I can, but I may have a large computer sim exercise here in Mid/late January which might cut into my prep time. As a fallback, I can take an OPFOR slot if one remains open at the time. Any idea as to when the Coop will run?

I'll take a Wingman/Corporal T-72 slot for the time being, in any of the platoons. I'll get as ready as I can, but I may have a large computer sim exercise here in Mid/late January which might cut into my prep time. As a fallback, I can take an OPFOR slot if one remains open at the time. Any idea as to when the Coop will run?

2.620 release + a few weeks to learn all the new bells and whistles!

Well I don't know about the others, but I've spent the best part of the last 30yrs preparing to defend against T-72 (and other T variants) equipped forces and engaging them (either mock ups or hulks) on the range.

A bit like asking a career policeman to be a crook I guess.

Well one could say that by putting a living mind behind a T-72 would create a more interesting and variable opponent, which would enhance the training value for your trainees.

I shall fill my usual Spot, Mr Zip.

Well one could say that by putting a living mind behind a T-72 would create a more interesting and variable opponent, which would enhance the training value for your trainees.

Except the trainees need to know how to use our kit (that is after all, what the training is for).

The current AI routines provide a credible enemy without me wasting effort teaching M1 crewmen, T-72 gunnery drills or skilling up an OPFOR force.

Having said that happy that those who do want to crew it can, just that isn't me (nor any of our trainees). Sitting in the thing once or twice at the Museum is enough to show them what conditions are like.

It's funny to see how people were freaked out NOT having a playable T72 in SB so far, and now that opportunity presents itself nobody wants to take it...

I did play around with the T72 quite alot yesterday, it's an interesting but hard flick, you don't get high tech "gizmos" in it like in the other playable tanks. It's hard, manual labour... but definiately worthwhile and FUN!