SB Pro PE 2.6x general information

Ssnake

• Members

Today I'd like to point out another little gem in 2.620, the Hannover-Hameln map by German user "Manteuffel". It's a ginormous effort that he poured into it that cannot be praised adequately. I only uploaded one screenshot of it today that blends the SB map view with Google Maps of the corresponding area. I think this illustrates well how fantastic the quality of the whole map is.

There are no new buildings to show however, so I think that screenshots of the map itself would be a bit redundant. But I'd like to tell a small anecdote of a few years ago when Dejawolf visited me in Hannover, and I drove him around a little to show him the area. So we arrive at one vista point, and he steps out of the car and says "Man, this just looks like Steel Beasts!"

:bigsmile:

In other news, I yesterday pointed out in the forum of the German community that it is now possible to put bridge segments without a bridge layer vehicle in the mission editor. For one, this reflects some operational procedures better (the Panzerpionier company does have a few spare bridges available). In the past you had to have several bridge layer vehicles in order to bridge rivers in excess of the 18/20m range of the MT-55 (or Biber). Which of course gave the controlling party a bit of a backup capacity that in reality isn't there. Bridge layers are prime assets that cannot be easily replaced, and therefore must be guarded well.

So it's now possible to give wider bridging capability with just a single vehicle. Not a dramatic feature expansion, but worth mentioning IMO. It's not always just about the "big" new features, there are literally hundreds of small steps that represent the tireless effort of the team.

:)

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was thinking about a similar map the other night. Only thing that really scared me was the cultivated fields. You can see on the google part of the pic the tons of different cultivated fields that are in the area, but no idea of how is possible to realistically represent that in Steel Beasts. Hope to see more pics of that map soon, so we can know the size, total area covered (so we can start plnning new missions) and specially some pics of the map inside 3d simulation.

Thanks!

In other news, I yesterday pointed out in the forum of the German community that it is now possible to put bridge segments without a bridge layer vehicle in the mission editor.

Great! So we can now reflect any rapid bridging that may have been done earlier.

Whilst a good learning experience it did take me a while to figure out how to lay a scripted AI bridge in the first few minutes so that an improvised route actually worked.

If I can basically now just drop the bridge in the editor that will make it far easier.

Is there provision to park the bridge layer nearby (sans bridge) or is this based on the bidge having been laid and the vehicle moving on to another task with a fresh bridge loaded onto it?

Greetings all,

Just looking at the nice map and an interesting set of symbols, there are 3 self propelled Arty groups tagging along behind the "Sabre" elements.

Is this an indication that there are elements now availiable instead of just placeholders?

Just an observation,

Later, 9erRed

• Members
Is there provision to park the bridge layer nearby (sans bridge) or is this based on the bridge having been laid and the vehicle moving on to another task with a fresh bridge loaded onto it?

Interesting point, we haven't thought about that. No, it's just an extra bridge option at the moment. Of course, as soon as the AVLB has dumped its initial load it'd be what you're suggesting, but it'll always start with its bridge.

Well, there's still time. Maybe we can make an amendment here, although time really is awfully short. As usual.

• Members
Little bit confused, you are talking about dropping in bridge sections in the editor, not in game? Or am I able to span wider rivers now in game using a command?

Both, actually.

First and foremost, you just get an additional supply of bridges.

Second, with a bit of practice a talented human driver can now span rivers of about 25m width using three bridges over each other.

I tried it; it didn't look pretty - but it got me across.

• Members
I agree Tacbat, but I would also like to mention Haune Valley map by Gary Owen, I just found it and making a scenario using the map.

Well, Manteuffel offered an updated version of his map as an official contribution to SB Pro PE 2.6, hence it's part of the show. :)

• Members
Interesting point, we haven't thought about that.

The programmers informed me that they, in fact, did. Clearly they are smarter than I am. :redface:

As an option for the AVLBs the mission designer can now specify whether they will start with a bridge loaded, or not.

I was going to ask was there any chance that a shilka could be in the next upgrade a Couple of months ago.then i thought there,s not much chance of that.All i can say is Thanks Esim.just a quick question for Ssnake.will we be seeing any of the newer Russian.Equipment.as much as i like the old cold war scenario's.and i have already decided to Purchase the upgrade.the only three things left on my personal wish list is a BMP3/T90/Apache or cobra.Either way Thanks Again Guys.