SB Pro PE 2.6x general information

Ssnake

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, ready for a dumb question, now that there will be M109s in version 2.6, that means we/I can use these instead of the arty placeholders?

My understanding (and it is blurred due to Pro development Vs Pro PE development) is that yes these replace the placeholders in terms of providing breakthrough tgts for the EN.

However their presence (or absence) doesn't currently limit the amount of OS available (unless the scenario designer puts 3 Btys on the map and then only gives you 3 x 6 tube fire units in the "support" area).

They do carry some HEAT rounds for self preservation.

They are not constrained by range. so with M109 on the map you can still plot fires beyond the usual 18,000m 155mm range (assuming you don't have rocket assisted projectiles) and not have to displace btys to move fwd (or back) to maintain OS coverage for the manoeuvre elm.

But again some of that may be incorrect due to possible mismatch of Pro and Pro PE feature sets. ;)

Standing by for clarification from Ssnake.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Moderators

It allows you to do something creative such as...

Put SPGs on the map, plus FO units. Restrict support to FO units, then assign Damage If... on FO unit's Radio {SPG unit is < 0 strength}. Once SPGs are destroyed, no more artillery (essentially). Of course it means that all of them have to be destroyed to lose the arty support, but who cares, at least there are possibilities...

To bad you couldn't have multiple radios on a FO and assign the SPGs to each channel.

Channel 1 = battery one

Channel 2 = battery two

so and so on.

destroy the SPGs (effectively destroying the radio link between the FO )and the FO looses the ability to use that battery.

This would just be a stop gap measure until arty is fully modeled in the game.

I hear somebody is asking around for ballistic tables :sonic:

• Moderators

Maybe I said it wrong. You would only destroy the Radio of the FO unit(s), all other units would still have radio. Since the scenario designer restricts arty support to FO units, presumably this will only make the artillery unavailable to that side.

Now what happens in the actual game is another story, just an idea. ;)

What a great addition the M109 is! I really appreciate the attention being given to American and Russian forces in this upgrade. It's just thrilling to have a growing inventory of American and Russian vehicles with which to produce hypothetical missions set during the Cold War. Of course, the very convincing simulation of the vehicles adds great immersion as well.

Thanks Al, Ssnake, eSim!

It's just thrilling to have a growing inventory of American and Russian vehicles with which to produce hypothetical missions set during the Cold War.

It's more than just U.S. and Russia being represented though. Both designs were heavily exported, and just about everyone used, or uses still, some variation of the two. Only in the last twenty or so years have western armies moved away from the '109 and on to better platforms, it's just with the death of the NLOS-C, the U.S. isn't one of them.

It's more than just U.S. and Russia being represented though. Both designs were heavily exported, and just about everyone used, or uses still, some variation of the two. Only in the last twenty or so years have western armies moved away from the '109 and on to better platforms, it's just with the death of the NLOS-C, the U.S. isn't one of them.

Still, their original designers/producers remain the primary antagonists (arguably) of the Cold War. The U.S. and Soviet Union have always been my greatest interest in SB so any time we recieve new vehicles for these two I rejoice!

Didn't know about the NLOS. I heard the AAV-7 replacement was also killed.