Last crewables?

Stratos

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to see at least one ~80s british army field manual on how the British employ their army in battle. Did they have any specific tactics for fighting a Cold War against a Soviet horde aimed at the Bay of Biscay or did they just copycat the Americans?

Trying to work out how the Brits intended to fight at the formation level is actually no simple task. I talk to a good deal of senior British officers with BAOR experience on a very regular basis and the diversity of ideas and opinions is amazing.

Amongst the more skilled and reflective there seems to have been a strong consensus that what was in the manuals and what was taught at the Schools didn't really work, and that Field Training Exercises were actually the only real basis for trying to find out what worked and what didn't.

.....and one reason I muck about with SB is because a lot of what the "tactics experts" teach, is actually rubbish. :eek2:

I would love to see at least one ~80s british army field manual on how the British employ their army in battle. Did they have any specific tactics for fighting a Cold War against a Soviet horde aimed at the Bay of Biscay or did they just copycat the Americans?

I would be suprised if such manuals ever existed.

They did however produce publications on Doctrine for specific theatres.

The nearest to a "manual of use" could possibly be found in fictional books such as the two volumes of The Third World War written by General Sir John Hackett, Major General Sir John Strawson and others. If you are after a more detailed account of what it might have been like for the British, read Cheiftans by Bob Forrest Webb. From the view of one who served on British Armour throughout that decade it really does recreate the atmosphere of what it was like then.

Irish

Oh and as to which vehicles I would like to see in SB

Cheiftan

Challenger 1

both have a very similar gunnery system and both are no longer in service with the British Army. So access and security clearances should be negligable.

I have always wondered why the HMMWV cant have at least two dismounts + the truck commander (squad leader).

Getch

I'd add to that the option for a Mk19 armed version. Light scout group combined with the dismount option.

An M240 version would make "rear area" HMMWVs possible, too. Self protection, but not really an APC threat.

If you are after a more detailed account of what it might have been like for the British, read Cheiftans by Bob Forrest Webb. From the view of one who served on British Armour throughout that decade it really does recreate the atmosphere of what it was like then..

Thanks for the tip on ‘Chieftains’ by Bob Forrest-Web. The five reviews on Amazon.co.uk are all 5* so it’s definitely one I’ll have to read at some point, though it will mean purchasing a second hand edition.

Oh and as to which vehicles I would like to see in SB

Cheiftan

Challenger 1

both have a very similar gunnery system and both are no longer in service with the British Army. So access and security clearances should be negligable.

I definitely agree a Chieftain would be a welcome addition to Steel Beasts. It’s one of the most fearsome looking tanks ever in my opinion. Personally I’d like to see a Mk 5/4 with IFCS and/or Mk 11 with Stillbrew armour and TOGS. I think you’d then also need some of the supporting vehicles to form a British battle group, such as the FV432, Warrior, Scorpion and Scimitar (which I know Gibsonm and others have already touched on). The majority of these could also partner the Challenger 2. With the Scorpion and Scimitar it would be fun to experiment with dedicated tracked (non-missile armed) reconnaissance vehicles, particularly the Scorpion with its 76mm main armament. Perhaps eSim will surprise us down the track; they’re getting pretty good at that!

Thanks for the tip on ‘Chieftains’ by Bob Forrest-Web. The five reviews on Amazon.co.uk are all 5* so it’s definitely one I’ll have to read at some point, though it will mean purchasing a second hand edition.

Well it was published some 28 years ago in paperback.

Unlikely you are going to find a first edition still sitting on a shelf somewhere. :)

(If you were on this side of the ditch, I'd lend you my copy).

(If you were on this side of the ditch, I'd lend you my copy).

Thanks, appreciate the gesture. :)

It looks like I'll have to spend NZD $80-plus for a second hand copy from the US or UK when I have an open slot in my backlog of books.

I’m actually surprised I’d never heard of ‘Chieftains’ before, especially when reviewers are saying how much better than ‘Team Yankee’ it is. I’ve been interested in AFVs for more than 20 years and IrishHussar’s post was the first I’d heard of it. Still, it’s a nice surprise and I look forward to reading it one of these days.