Movement tactics?

Yskonyn

I am playing the Camp Hornfelt scenarios (http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=13886) and the first scenario is to practise various movement tactics.

You start with 2 elements of a platoon and have to move to a specific point. Balance between safety and speed shifts towards safety the more you approach the endline, because contact is getting more likely.

I am presented with a few problems of which I hope you guys could clear up:

1) If moving with 2 elements is it common practise to have one element move in a different 'valley' than the other?

To elaborate; supose you have a hill with two valleys on either side, which both come out at a point you need to go. Is it common practise to have one element take the left and the other the right valley? Or do the two elements stay together, but one is further ahead than the other?

In the valley they would have only their wingman to get cover from, instead of a whole element...

But oftentimes the second element gets stuck or slowed down in the woods, because the spacing is too wide and there isn't enough room in the valley. A column formation would not be practical for safety reasons.

2) Am I correct to say that 'bounding overwatch' means that one element is placed at a vantage point where they can see the movement area of the second element and scout for contact to provide cover fire if contact is made. Once the moving element reaches their position, the overwatch element can start its movement and roles switch?

Also, if I am in the lead element, how do I tell the second element to attack a specific contact? Do I need to go into the map and give it the engage order?

I would rather give the order from the TC view.

Tied to this is the Retreat order. My wingman does as I do, but what about the second element once we come under fire?

It's probably an oversight on my part, but I can't figure it out... :redface:

Thats some cool Yoda vibe there, Gary! ;)

But I hear you; the commander has to decide.

Still, I would like to know if it would actually be common in RL for commanders to choose to split their platoon like above and move on both sides of the hill.

Another thing came to my mind regarding movement while reading the excellent Company TACOPS document;

Does the initial lead platoon take lead again when changing from coil to a march formation? Or does the platoon leads whoever was in position in the coil where the new movement direction is.

THANKS!

Like Gary said, you´ll get the right answer when you do it and succeed or fail.

It depend on a numerous factors, but generally:

- How far apart are we talking? To far apart and you cant use the other element to support, by fire, casevacs and so on. To far apart and you´ll have harder to control the other element, even if you´r still within radio range, seeing the terrain and controlling your unit by landmark is easier then by map or C2 systems. In a contact it will be more difficult coordinating a assault or retreat when you can´t see your second team and how far they have gotten.

But! by dividing your unit you have a greater chance of surprising your enemy, and your maneuvers are easier concealed with a smaller unit.

- The enemy? How many, preparations they might have done or had the time to do, minefields and so on. Minefield might halt the whole assault if you travel in one valley and you´ll loose time backtracking. Using two avenues you have a bigger chance in making it (more a company view then a platoon on this last point)

-Time? How much time do you have to take the terrain. Are you taking it to defeat the enemy or is the terrain key terrain? Are you supposed to provide over watch for another platoon then it´s probably time critical. Are you to kill the enemy you might have more time.

Four tanks/ifv you have bigger firepower, four tanks have a greater chance to observe the enemy tank and four round are less likely to miss then one. And against a live opponent you´ll create a decision making process if you present the enemy with more then one target, time that you hopefully use to kill him with. I always try to keep my platoon as one unit, it makes command easier, more firepower and i can react to the enemy faster and with more firepower and ability to maneuver.