Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

Is it not important to have glow in the dark dead targets? :)

This is not a fun matter it is very very awful weapon where if you get it on you, you have to cover it completely and then cut it out with a bayonet or other knife if the WP gets air it will burn.

The definition is where we draw the line morally because it is very very effective if used like i explained and the moral comes because a lot of times it injures with a lot of pain instead of outright killing.

That's also why the Israeli army have prohibited the use in Gaza within 500 m of civilian areas

This is not a fun matter it is very very awful weapon where if you get it on you you have to cover it completely and then cut it out with a bayonet or other knife if the WP gets air it will burn.

The definition is where we draw the line morally because it is very very effective if used like i explained and the moral comes because a lot of times it injures with a lot of pain instead of outright killing.

I wasn't thinking anything beyond the context of the game ;)

But to support what you said here , isn't it obvious that war to begin with is amoral?

• Members

I wouldn't subscribe that every war is amoral. Some wars are worth fighting. I mean, Britain for example pretty much had the option to stay out of WW2 if they absolutely wanted to. I think it was a morally correct decision to not avoid war with the Nazis.

From the fact that questionable decisions were made in the course of the war - sinking the French fleet in the Mediterranean, teaming up with Joe Stalin, firebombing campaigns against the civilian population, to name a few examples - I don't think it would be justified to condemn the war as such. There is no moral equivalence between a genocidal war of aggression and the decision to defend against it, even if you're not the target of said genocide.

But back to the wishlist

There are a number of things missing to make it seem more like irl a lot of those are on the arty wish list and that would also make some of the few other missing really-thy things missing such as knowing where that big thingy in front of the tank are pointing where you are going and make it a whole lot easier to know where the things you see on the map are and vice versa

Plus a leo 2A5 with out GPS and direction i don't think so , we started to use GPS in all branches right around 1991 (First Gulf war) in all NATO country's.

That point General Norman Schwarzkopf, Jr. made perfectly clear to everybody that navigation from that point on was via GPS Way points when he made his attack across the wast open desert where nobody could navigate.

You are partially right Mark if the weapon was designed to have the primary effect as Incendiary.

Well for us its a chemical weapon - pure and simple and can only be used for screening / obscuration.

I wouldn't worry too much about US advice since they aren't a signatory, don't accept the jurisdiction of the ICC, still use minefields, etc.

Well for us its a chemical weapon - pure and simple and can only be used for screening / obscuration.

I wouldn't worry too much about US advice since they aren't a signatory, don't accept the jurisdiction of the ICC, still use minefields, etc.

That's another error/Fault about the Law/Moral about the ICC since the definitions are far from clear and some of the worst offenders aren't a signatory and as they are from a big country they cant be judged whereas people from small country's even though not signatory's either are being dragged in to face judgement where are the Law/Moral in that ?

But lets end this as this is one discussion that will prolly never be ended.

Even a comparatively peaceful country like Sweden still use clay more mines just not with tripwires (Technically legal but not morally) and they are a signatory.

This whole issue is so full of contradictions, double standards and politics that we can discuss this from now and to the end of days.

It would be nice if there was an indication of the theme a map and/or scenario is using in the map and scenario editors, something that says "Theme: Western_Mordor.thm" for example, perhaps with an * indicate the embedded theme was modified.
Are you saying you would like to see maps from Lord of the Rings ? Game of Thrones would be more interesting ;)

I was told there is a way for those that have dual screen to have the map in one screen and the game in another ... that would be awesome.

In F8 mode, it's shoddy at best. But it's the only mode for night vision available for grunts unless they are an ATGM devoted team. Infantry has NVB and NVG equipment and should be allowed to have them. Especially in F7 mode and F3 for the MG teams.

The modern military (particularly the US forces) proudly boasts that they own the night. SB seems to be the exception...:gun:

Well I suspect then you'd be restricted to 5km x 5km maps or so (unless you had a supercomputer) - not really useful.

Maybe for SB ver 27.5. :)

Why that ? I run that map on Arma 3 without any problem.... why on SB should be limited at 5x5 km ?

• Members

Generally speaking, there is a trade-off between how detailed the terrain can be and how large it can be, finally how far out the scene can be rendered. There is only a finite number of objects and triangles that can be processed within 16,67 milliseconds (which is the amount of time for 60 frames per second); maybe 25ms are atill acceptable (40 fps), but at some point either the graphics card of the CPU will become the bottleneck. Different engines have different bottlenecks because they are tailored towards specific purposes.

So, just because we'll increase the grid resolution for the ground terrain that doesn't necessarily mean that the sheer number of objects in a map could be increase substantially without having to pay the price in lower frame rates.

Generally speaking, there is a trade-off between how detailed the terrain can be and how large it can be, finally how far out the scene can be rendered. There is only a finite number of objects and triangles that can be processed within 16,67 milliseconds (which is the amount of time for 60 frames per second); maybe 25ms are atill acceptable (40 fps), but at some point either the graphics card of the CPU will become the bottleneck. Different engines have different bottlenecks because they are tailored towards specific purposes.

So, just because we'll increase the grid resolution for the ground terrain that doesn't necessarily mean that the sheer number of objects in a map could be increase substantially without having to pay the price in lower frame rates.

Would this be the case with a very high end machine with a state of the art graphic card.

Just wondering. not suggesting you implement a spin tyres type terrain

I would rather have larger maps.

But some day I would like to see a terrain that changes with the weather,

IE if it rains the ground becomes boggy if its very cold the ground will harder

I think such a changeable terrain is a long way away not just for SB but in general

Have always held the opinion general mud wins a lot of battles even wars

Are there any A.I. units in Battlefield or ARMA? If not, would there be any need to do LOS calculations?

Yes definitely....that's the way we usually play....team coop against AI.....the main mission is "Liberation xyz" where XYZ is the name of the map..ad you have to capture towns factories army bases etc...you can set in the mission parameters the amount of enemies the level of his ability and how much agressive should be...

I like Bornholm map because it is great for tanks....it is a lot like the North German Plain terrain.....flat fields separated by lines of woods....many narrow deep valleys.....it is great !

Don't know who has Arma....but who has it just have a look.

I will try to capture a video more tank related and post it here..

• Members
Would this be the case with a very high end machine with a state of the art graphic card.

Hardware limits ALWAYS apply. The limit may be somewhat higher than for low-end machines, but even with the fastest machine on this planet in your hands, if you have noone else who can play the scenario that your machine barely manages to play, what's the point?

:o

Well I suspect then you'd be restricted to 5km x 5km maps or so (unless you had a supercomputer) - not really useful.

Maybe for SB ver 27.5. :)

You can the limit HERE from the first vid. It exaggerates the curvature of the horizon to prevent you from seeing further. 5km was a good guess.

• Members
It would be nice if there was an indication of the theme a map and/or scenario is using in the map and scenario editors, something that says "Theme: Western_Mordor.thm" for example, perhaps with an * indicate the embedded theme was modified.

That's not a bad idea; the question though is at what point a 'modified embedded theme' becomes its own thing ;)