Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

5 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Also if the Driver died, the "terminal effects" (blast, etc.) have probably messed up the compartment a fair bit (busted controls, severed linkages, shattered vision ports, etc. - not just blood on the seat).

Yet this isnt true of the gunner/commanders position?

5 hours ago, Captain_Colossus said:

So you can imagine a tank where the driver is killed, but the practical effects are not really shown if the tank keeps maneuvering because a crew member teleported into the driver's station the way it works right now.

I agree the way it is now is a bit strange, but i still think it is reasonable to expect crew to move to the drivers position, perhaps after a delay. Also, moving crew from the gunner/commanders position reduces the combat effectiveness of the vehicle, so its not a 'get out of jail free' card.

4 hours ago, TSe419E said:

Except when he crashes into a tree.

@52:00 does happen a lot to drivers too!

I've mentioned this before, but I would love to see functional IR searchlights on eastern tanks. Currently, fighting a battle at night with T-72s is a bit frustrating, as the TC, which can clearly identify targets using their NVGs, is unable to pass them to the gunner, since the gunner in fact is not able to physically see the target through the IR sight.

9 minutes ago, Mirzayev said:

I've mentioned this before, but I would love to see functional IR searchlights on eastern tanks. Currently, fighting a battle at night with T-72s is a bit frustrating, as the TC, which can clearly identify targets using their NVGs, is unable to pass them to the gunner, since the gunner in fact is not able to physically see the target through the IR sight.

Well sure if you want to die quicker.

Active IR shows up nicely in TI - like the target has switched on a lighthouse.

4 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Completely true, but it does increase the effectiveness of passive IR. It is up to the TC, Platoon Leader, Troop Commander, etc. if the risk is worth the reward. 

In Steel Armor Blaze of War, for example, I will travel in blackout conditions at night, and will only flash the searchlight briefly to aim a well-placed shot against a target. As soon as the round is fired, I immediately go to blackout conditions and displace to a new BP. This is assuming the enemy has thermals; if they are dumb enough to travel with their IR active, you just have to shoot at the lights.

Regardless, it is a "feature" on the majority of Eastern tanks, and it would be nice if it was fully modeled in game.

Certainly makes sense. I have no doctrinal knowledge of how to fight with searchlights so it is a learning experience for me. Thanks for broadening my understanding!

The issue with Steel Armor is that you can't micro IR searchlight use, so either the entire Platoon has them on, or they all have them off. Granted, I am not as familiar with SABOW as I am with Steel Beasts, so if I am wrong let me know.

1 hour ago, Mirzayev said:

Granted, I am not as familiar with SABOW as I am with Steel Beasts, so if I am wrong let me know.

Sorry I have no idea. I have room in my schedule for one armoured sim and the spot is taken (and has been for 13 or so years). :)

Others may though.

Edited by Gibsonm

22 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

well by that logic your going to die either way, because you can only see barely in front of you anyways. A tank with TIS is going to kill you anyways, long before you see it during night.

22 hours ago, Mirzayev said:

Completely true, but it does increase the effectiveness of passive IR. It is up to the TC, Platoon Leader, Troop Commander, etc. if the risk is worth the reward. 

In Steel Armor Blaze of War, for example, I will travel in blackout conditions at night, and will only flash the searchlight briefly to aim a well-placed shot against a target. As soon as the round is fired, I immediately go to blackout conditions and displace to a new BP. This is assuming the enemy has thermals; if they are dumb enough to travel with their IR active, you just have to shoot at the lights.

Regardless, it is a "feature" on the majority of Eastern tanks, and it would be nice if it was fully modeled in game.

I agree it should be up to the TC if he/she wants to take the risk.

However id also like to point out i depends on the scenario. you could setup against  legacy tanks that don't have thermal sights, but too only have night sights, with a IR lamp.  either other T series tanks, or say perhaps throw in a old blueforce tank like the Cheiftan Mk5 or something.

Alternatively I recall from SABOW in the Afghanistan campaign, it was a huge advantage during night missions on the T-62, ,  against the Mujahideen that did not posses any night vision devices, one that hid among terrain and Mud huts.  SO similarly in SB, in a scenario where your tanks are supporting infantry at night against Insurgent forces Is still better than not having one at all, and is an advantage over enemies that do not.

So yes i too support and want to see working IR illuminators. 

22 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Well you can also use Troop fire, like we used to with white light searchlights.

One vehicle illuminates the target and the rest of the Troop / Platoon fires on it.

yea i read about that tactic. basically at worst that 1 guy illuminating the target gets shot up, without revealing the rest of the tank units, had all of them been using thier IR lamps.

Just 1 way to overcome the limitations of pre passive night sights.

Edited by Kev2go

12 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Also, none of our army customers still operates with searchlights, except for tactical deterrence.

Certainly. I'm not expecting anything in the near future, especially with your current focuses (new terrain engine, for example). Still, I just wanted to bring it up, put it on the "nice to have" list, as it were.

Would like to see M1 and L2 tank "cockpits" brought up to current quality standards of M60 and T72

Those new tank insides are really pleasant to look at, which make older, low res textures and low poly detail of previously available tanks stick out like a sore thumb.

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 9:11 AM, Bond_Villian said:

Yet this isnt true of the gunner/commanders position?

I agree the way it is now is a bit strange, but i still think it is reasonable to expect crew to move to the drivers position, perhaps after a delay. Also, moving crew from the gunner/commanders position reduces the combat effectiveness of the vehicle, so its not a 'get out of jail free' card.

@52:00 does happen a lot to drivers too!

So what is the procedure if a crew member is killed or wounded.

Say the driver is killed but the AFV is still able to move who would take over.( I assume the loader)

If the commander was out of action I assume the gunner would take command.

Same if the gunner was out of action the commander would take over the fire control.

Also Enlisted men have to learn and become proficient in all the various crew roles before thay can become a Commander. Is this the same for officers I would assume they would also have to be proficient in all crew positions As well

Edited by Marko