Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

• Members
1 hour ago, Zaphod said:

So the inability for the AI to take a bridge match real life military incompetence?

Keep in mind, SB Pro is designed as a training tool, first and foremost. As such, it is supposed to expose errors in thinking on the student's part. That is best done if the failure to issue a formation change command in a timely fashion bears negative and painfully obvious consequences. The more embarrassing, the better a student will (hopefully) remember next time.

And yes. The things I have seen... well, everybody makes mistakes at times. Usually other people's mistakes are more obvious to you than your own. ;)

That being said, we are working on improvements. Whether this specific example is going to get better is an open question, for the reasons I mentioned above (it serves a purpose). Perfect AI behavior that compensates for user error may be detrimental to the primary purpose of our work.

+1 on the driver AI needing improvement. 
As I see it if you are in the gunner or the TC position and give the order to drive straight ahead - by pushing the direct vehicle controls, doesnt that simulate the driver getting the order to do so? If a tree then shows up straight ahead one should expect that the vehicle, by the action of the driver, would at least stop or? Not head straight ahead into a tree, house or a huge lake. 

One could state that yes, you should be looking around, but if you "drive" from the gunners position isnt it so that then the driver AND the TC is looking around and guiding the vehicle really?

I am no tank gunner/driver/commander not even close in real life, but even I can see that having to teleport between vehicles and driving in the magic f8 view just not to die against the most dangerous foe known to man, the trees... just cant be that much like real tanker life, or? just having the driver pause, if he can not be given the right to turn around obstacles would be great. 

It is harsh to have to baby sit and teleport around ai units, it does kill some of the feeling of being there that sims, SB for sure, gain so much from.

Well thats my cents on the topic of yes better driver AI is on the wishlist. 

Edit: It is fine and also good that the AI makes mistakes but they should be able to at least try to get out of them. And ramming head on into a tree, that just seems to stupid

Still the driving AI is great overall and this is a wishlist so i wish :)

Edited by peXmo

In response to my own last wish here, I will add this request that might be a good remedy. Not sure how it would work with how the simulation is intended. 
Could a "Quick route straight ahead" command be added? With this I mean the following: 

By pressing W you take the control away from the driver and go straight ahead without any AI interfering. This is really good in many situations but works less good in others. The other option often used is to fastplot a route on the map to move with your formation, under AI driver "protection" as he drives smartly on his own, all while you are free to scan with the thermals or what ever.

Now could a quick route command be implemented here to address some of what I wrote in my last wish? Yes I think so. The AI drives ok on his own when you give him a route so why not make for example shift+w auto plot a route straight ahead for X meters or something? 

This would lead to you being able to turn the tank fast in the direction you want to go in a forest or where ever and just push shift+w and off you go. No need to hop into the map to fast lay a route. jut to be able to move ahead with the AI driving while I am scanning. 

One might then ask, well if that route then takes me to where I do not want to go? Well that is about situational awareness isnt it? If you are ok to go straight ahead for at last (what ever the X meters are set to) you can use this shift+w command. One can always just stop the vehicle when ever you like. 

Would do wonders for driving in towns and forest while being the gunner or the TC. Just like giving and order to the driver to just go foreward and the mechanics are already all in there. 

For the issue of driving through trees, have you tried just creating a route via waypoints? I commonly do this, and I haven't hit a tree in quite a while. Sure, you won't be moving quickly, but you are driving a vehicle through a forest. There is bound to be underbrush, vegetation, and trees of differing sizes all over the place, so driving slowly seems realistic to me. 

Also, I can sit at the gunner's station, and I don't have to worry about manually controlling the vehicle, and I can instead focus on finding and engaging enemy targets.

Edit: peXmo, the "quick route" already exists. Hold the right control key, and you can place a waypoint in the 3D view. I use this often to move my tank.

Edited by Mirzayev

Yes that I do, I plot a route. But one could "drive" with AI assistance doing it as I pointed out. 
Another use would be to shift+w fast route. then jump to the map and plot your more detailed route, when you are given the order to move up in formation with you platoon leader for example. 
Would feel more realistic (as you tell the driver to start driving in his postion in the formation) and much more fluid. 

EDIT: The whole thing is about utilizing what is in the game to give the best of the two things of driving from your prefered postion without for having to leave your view, WHEN you know where you are going if you go straight ahead, just like planning a route straight ahead. 

Edited by peXmo

Yes the CTRL is a good subtitute... not sure it works from the gunner does it? Anyway if it does you have to rotate away from what you are looking at, look at the point - that might just be 10m ahead bcause you can not look directly at the spot behind that bump in the terrain, then turn back to scan where you were, while all you wanted was to advance in the direction the tank chassis/body is pointing for a while until you can fully have scanned what you wanted. 
quality of life thing for sure but I wish for it as it is within what the game already supports and would make quite a big difference for me. Maybe just for how I play but still :)

EDIT: Aaaand all along I forgot the true benefit of this - the shift+x being the same but a fast retreat route

That one is really hard to do otherwise, and just telling your driver to get the F*** out in reverse would be great with that command. 

Edited by peXmo

• Members
  1. That's what the "lase to waypoint" (AKA "lase command" from the commander's eye view) is for. The driver will then apply some basic obstacle avoidance. Read this as a command, "Driver, bring us to spot X".
  2. You can't do that from the Gunner's place
  3. You couldn't do that from the gunner's place in real life either. The gunner simply has terrible situational awareness of the tank's near field. Since you can't do it in real life, we won't implement it in SB either. If you want realistic behavior, play with two friends in the same tank, each serving a different role and different responsibilities.
  4. There's two ways for a tank to reverse if the driver doesn't have a camera for that - guided by the commander (!), or in blind panic, crashing into the next best obstacle. Since that is the sad reality, No Shift+X for you, either. I'm sorry.

Thanks for the great explanation. I just asked for this under the basis of how reality is depicted from within the sim, that the gunner can infact drive blindly from his gunsight using the wasdx. So i thought this was simulating him requesting movement from the commander or something, thus the refinement i wished for. 

All is well doable as is anyway. Scratch that wish hehe 

I think it would add a lot of depth to Multi-Player to have more of the (currently in-game) older generation vehicles as 'crewable/semi crewable'. Personally i dont mind if vehicles are modelled with a low fidelity intererior (or none). The 'eye candy' can be improved over time if theres energy for it :)

Also, why have one MG on shoulder when you can have two MG in armpits...

article-0-14424A6F000005DC-791_634x546.jpg

Edited by Bond_Villian

Hmmm, don't think that this is needed in SB. The shoulder carry, is only done for march and when not expecting contact. Otherwise it is to be carried in front, or on the "long arm". In that sense, steelbeasts is quiete correct in modelling it as it is now.

38 minutes ago, Grenny said:

...or propper infantry positions.

-Foxholes

-Foxholes with cover

-combat trenches

-combat trenches connected with covered running trenches etc etc etc

This.

And as a counter.... Frag Grenades & Bayonets.

I get that mainly you'll bypass a dug in enemy, but sometimes you need to get in there and winkle them out.