Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

2 hours ago, Captain_Colossus said:

you can explode vehicles- that is to say, the civilian cars and trucks can be made to explode, but the option doesn't exist for military vehicles. the screenshot shows a truck with the 'explode combatant if' command

My bad.  I was operating from my poor memory.

That is awesome. Thank you.

Two more requests (and I know I'm trying my luck here)

New type of movement for infantry - Crawl to. At the moment, you can get infantry to crawl by setting them to Scout to, but they stop when they feel it prudent and always err on the side of caution. I would like to be able to force them to crawl into a position taking an additional level of risk to get closer - for example when stalking an AFV in woodland.

Alternate prone firing position for hand-held AT weapons. Bear in mind that you have to keep your body at at least 45 degrees to an M72 and 90 degrees to an AT-4/M-136, which does look a bit strange.

20 minutes ago, ChrisWerb said:

New type of movement for infantry - Crawl to. At the moment, you can get infantry to crawl by setting them to Scout to, but they stop when they feel it prudent and always err on the side of caution. I would like to be able to force them to crawl into a position taking an additional level of risk to get closer - for example when stalking an AFV in woodland.

You can already do something similar. Right click on the infantry unit after giving them a movement command, hover over "Set Infantry Posture" and click "Prone." The infantry will them remain prone while following your route. 

Edited by Mirzayev

11 hours ago, ChrisWerb said:

Thank you Mirzayev. That's a good workaround. 

Can I ask why that is a workaround?  Its the way it is supposed to work and it works.

Also, can you put your questions about how the game works in a separate thread, and not the wishlist thread?

1 hour ago, thewood said:

Can I ask why that is a workaround?  Its the way it is supposed to work and it works.

Also, can you put your questions about how the game works in a separate thread, and not the wishlist thread?

It's a workaround (subjectively) because using the cursor from F8 view to move short distances in game is more precise and immediate. For example if you want to have your section leader with the AT weapon sneak around a corner to launch or avoid a branch from a tree that's blocking your line of sight/likely to prematurely initiate the rocket/projectile (sometimes because it's not possible to shoot the AT weapon from prone). You can only see the latter obstacle in 3D view. If you can Scout to etc. using the cursor yet, in a different view, have a workaround that lets you advance prone, there is no logical reason for there not to be a Crawl to 3D cursor option IMHO. The reason I put the question here is that it followed on from someone's suggestion in response to a wish list request. Next time I have a follow-on question, I'll put in a post flagging a move to a separate thread.

PS, the "victim actuated" mobile VBIEDs are really working out. Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Edited by ChrisWerb

I would like the option to make the mechanic m113 look like an American M113A2 not a german m113.  looks kinda funny making a sce with us equipmente but a german m113 for maintenance. Or a medic M113A2 instead of the A3.  Would be nice if there was a way in menu to make the m113 into an APC, Medic Track, or Maintenance track.  Although I guess would be more hard to actually implement with the coding that would be involved in it.

17 hours ago, thewood said:

My point is that this has become a game help forum for you, not a content request list.

I understood your point and responded to it. If you go back through this thread you will see many examples where a content request led to interesting and informative discussion on the thread. The trouble is, if I started a new thread for every follow-on question to a thread, the sub-forum would end up cluttered with one question threads. Perhaps a catch all "Content list follow on questions" thread would be the way to go? What do you think?

2 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

I think you should use the "Support" thread that's what its there for since most of your requests for new content are actually "I don't know how to create this [whatever it is] outcome with the tools I already have" type questions.

Exactly...thank you.

On 8/29/2017 at 9:29 AM, ChrisWerb said:

Vehicle crews that bail out when their vehicle is KO'd (assuming they are still able to) and the option of ordering them to bail out (or just getting out of) an immobilized (or indeed any) vehicle and re mount it or another one as crew or passenger. Crews that bailed out or left their vehicles would become dismount units for game purposes. Given the emphasis on force protection in current operations and the basic human desire never to leave anyone behind, this could be useful in various scenarios as well as adding to the atmosphere/immersion of the game.

Related: the ability to reorg your C/S to replace cas and regain some cbt effectiveness.  For example, your troop is down 2 veh, one with turret damage and a dead gunner, the other has a dead cmd from small arms fire, the tk cmd from the damaged tk could replace the dead one in the undamaged tk and your back to 75% from 50%.

On 9/4/2017 at 0:39 PM, Gibsonm said:

I think you should use the "Support" thread that's what its there for since most of your requests for new content are actually "I don't know how to create this [whatever it is] outcome with the tools I already have" type questions.

Point taken. I admit I wasn't aware you could break off a section/fire team commander and move him/her independently. Nor was I aware that you could blow up a civilian vehicle - clearly nor were some other players from some of the responses above. The workaround you came up with of planting an IED and triggering it to explode and the military vehicle to be destroyed when in close proximity works well up to a point but relies on the target being in a position predicted at the scenario design (though you can always include multiple trigger points). I still think the Crawl to cursor command and explode (military) vehicle options would probably be simple to add and would benefit game play.  The majority of the rest of what I asked for does not already exist.

When I come up with things, I try to take the following into account.

1. Ratio of how useful it would be vs time/effort put in to create it. I might love to see a crewable Ikv-91 tank destroyer and a Japanese Type 61 MBT, but how much would they actually get used compared to the effort involved in creating them?  I would really like to have a German Puma IFV, but AFAIK no country that pays Defence funds to ESimGames has yet adopted it, it hasn't participated in any conflicts and it would be a ton of work to create.

2. CPU speed penalties. We had this in the discussion over realistically dangerous/obstructive forests and WMD/nukes. Anything that adds large numbers of objects or effects to existing objects to the simulation will have an exponential effect on CPU usage.

3. Disk space - Ssnake's observations on the astronomical amount of space taken up by LIDAR mapping data cover this well.

4. Is this covered by a known issue - especially one that's already being worked on? Sometimes I don't know this in advance, but it covers such things as lack of "impenetrable" forest, 20x139 HEI-T over-lethality vs troops, helicopter damage model etc. all of which are being/will eventually be sorted or are what they are for reasons that aren't going to change soon (see 2. and 3.)/..

That's why I try to come up with things that appear easy to implement and I feel would add to immersion and/or gameplay, like a HEAT or HEDP rifle grenade ammo nature for the RG functionality, a suppressed position for infantry and a Shoot here functionality for hand held anti armour weapons. None involve creating anything huge and complex, a great CPU burden or a massive usage of data storage and none are (AFAIK) affected by ongoing bug rectification work or are otherwise impractical.

Edited by ChrisWerb

• 4 weeks later...

Trying to check where a river should flow in Pro 3.333 gives me this in the Map Editor:

36774599863_653ffce547_b.jpg

Notice how the file name overlaps the elevation information, even when I call the file "a   [bunch of spaces].ter".

I'm pretty sure this is OK in 4.019. *

* I understand that I could avoid this specific issue by editing in 4.019 but then I couldn't open the map in 3.333 to make a "large" (80 x 80) map.

Edited by Gibsonm
typo