Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

Well you can intermingle terrain types using different themes - have two sorts of tree in a forest theme as well as dial up the density.

Or stick with one type of tree and pick sizeable undergrowth (as opposed to the small stones that seem to be often used).

This is very rough and ready but:

Default:

36819132153_596f7509d8_o.png

Messed around with:

37488421371_137c9a3c12_o.png

Edited by Gibsonm

Yes Sir, I know all this. I work with this Simulation since 2002...

Also I know it´s nearly impossible to explain an Aussie a Europian Wood ;-) (sorry can´t resist)

Believe me in 90% you can NOT:

- See anything deeper 200 Meters

- Lase trough it

- Fire your Gun trough it

- Use TIS trough it

- Drive trough it with normal Speed and without loosing Tracks or Equipment from outside your Tank

8 hours ago, Grenny said:

+1

A good step would be a scaleable tree density. So one could vary wood from "slows tanks down" to tank-obstacle

It´s not to block movement, this can be done in the Map Editor. It´s more the LOS trough Woods.

With the Editor that now is in use, you only can choose between "Big Trees" or "Small Trees" for one Pixel of Map.

All the Bushes, Gras and other Foiliage is to small to Block LOS and TIS.

So I think we need a new Concept of Woods in SB.

3 minutes ago, Eisenschwein said:

It´s not to block movement, this can be done in the Map Editor. It´s more the LOS trough Woods.

With the Editor that now is in use, you only can choose between "Big Trees" or "Small Trees" for one Pixel of Map.

The 2 go hand in hand. What I meant is, that the forest also should look different depending on its obstacle value: diameter and densety of trees should be different to indicate to the tank-commanders if its GO or no-go.

The same factors (+more undergrowth) will also restrict line of sight.

"Set Owner - Computer if"
Right now we have Player, Computer and player if  to govern when players can (or can not) control a unit. what I would like is the ability to take a unit back from human control to AI control. Right now I can use a "destroy if" but it feels wrong in the scenario to destroy something just because the player shouldnt have control of it anymore, a "computer if" would be much nicer solution.

/KT

8 hours ago, Kingtiger said:

"Set Owner - Computer if"
Right now we have Player, Computer and player if  to govern when players can (or can not) control a unit. what I would like is the ability to take a unit back from human control to AI control. Right now I can use a "destroy if" but it feels wrong in the scenario to destroy something just because the player shouldnt have control of it anymore, a "computer if" would be much nicer solution.

I like it. 

Also - how about a "Switch Side If" to compliment the Surrender If feature that we have.

On 04/10/2017 at 4:04 PM, Eisenschwein said:

I asked for this and it was discussed in some depth a while back. The problem (paraphrasing an offline discussion with Ssnake), essentially is there are only one tree and two randomly placed terrain objects allowed per terrain hex (the  terrain objects the AI can see through, but human players can't). They could make the hexes smaller but that would result in lots more trees and every tree needs imposes an LOS calculation burden for all units - this would grow immensely with thicker, tank-stopping forests. I am sure this problem will be overcome somehow at some point in the future.

• Members

I'm currently thinking along the line of tree cluster objects (still a single object, but contains more trees). Not a top priority at the moment, but it might be a medium-term workaround. Long-term, we need an entirely different approach.

The other variable to work with is the spotting rules of computer-controlled units. If they spot "something" but wouldn't actually identify it as hostile the problem would be reduced to one of mere aesthetics.

4 hours ago, Ssnake said:

I'm currently thinking along the line of tree cluster objects (still a single object, but contains more trees). Not a top priority at the moment, but it might be a medium-term workaround. Long-term, we need an entirely different approach.

The other variable to work with is the spotting rules of computer-controlled units. If they spot "something" but wouldn't actually identify it as hostile the problem would be reduced to one of mere aesthetics.

I like that idea.

• Members

Tree clusters have certain disadvantages too. Once that we add them, I'm sure there will be people hating it because of those disadvantages.

Tweaking the perception and engagement threshold of computer-controlled units may be a by far more effective step to take that helps to reduce the number of CPY cycles per frame in general - which would be a good thing. Real-time 3D games are exercises in high performance computing. We need to maintain a balance between feature-richness and performance. A Steel Beasts running at 20 fps or less would be next to useless. Needless to say, perception modifications are more delicate to work with.

AI wish list or suggestion. Seeming the AI can be a pain in the ass with targets it would be nice as a CO of a platoon to designate target priorities... also as a gunner instead of the ignore option give a target a lower priority, as in 'no I have a tank over here and those infantry can wait till i am done with this threat'.  Also , if immobilized , next target... if combat in effective , next target.

Traffic clusterfucks when two or more groups or tanks create a traffic jam like crossing a bridge and such or even turning your platoon unit around down the same road then  sort it out by call sign  priorities... depending on the mission certain platoon or platoon types be given priorities 

Internal damage needs to be tweaked down when hitting trees from a stop position to a 5 and 10 meter bump into a tree.

On 16/10/2017 at 1:37 PM, Boner said:

i would also like to see the new AJAX fined its way here 

ajax.jpg

+1 to this + variants.  More GTK Boxer variants too please. (That vehicle is wonderfully modelled externally in SB and a lot of fun to play as well as really useful for the "what if" scenarios)

Edited by ChrisWerb

I'm not sure if this request should be made here or the support forum.

I often have my infantry get into situations in urban terrain where they can only see part of an armoured vehicle - typically the nose of a BMP or the rear quarter of a T-72. When they acquire the target, the anti tank gunner gets up onto his knee to take the shot, then gets down again over and over. I am guessing this is because the centre of the vehicle has to be visible for the AI to let him take the shot. One workaround is to take a rifle grenade shot instead, which sometimes results in the vehicle moving and realigning slightly, but with the absence of HEAT or HEDP rifle grenades, it does nothing else but alert the vehicle to the gunner's presence and it would still be a suboptimal solution compared to the Pzf-3 or similar. Would it be possible to code so you could override normal visibility rules and have the gunner shoot the centre of what he could see of the enemy vehicle? Alternatively, could AT weapons please be given a "shoot here" capability like the rifle grenade. This would also be useful in a lot of other circumstances (and yes, it's been discussed here before a few times now).

Another request would be for a veriety of death and prone poses so it is not instantly possible to tell if an enemy is dead simply by his pose from a very great distance.