Perhaps I should just do it already?

AslakH

Hi-dee-ho, folks.

I've been drooling over SB for... over a year.

Saw some awesome vids on youtube, so I finally thought "Well, $125 ain't that much..". The truth is that $125 is over a weeks supply of food for me.

But, before I buy it, how's the MP community?

If the MP community isn't strong, I guess I'll pass.

I tried WoT over a year ago, because some friends said it was cool. Coming from tank sims without MP to an MMO HP/stat-based mess was just annoying. Played it for about five days (at least I gave it a try).

Was also told that "Steel Armor" had MP, but that was a lie from GTs end.

SB is probably my best bet.

I'm kinda looking forwards to blowing tanks up. >:)

The MP community for SB is small, but consistent. The public Team Speak server hosted here is a primary location for public game play. Though with the smaller overall community, you can't always simply show up and find a game. There is a worldwide fan base, but not a ton of us out here.

There are also several semi-private groups that are based around a locality/country that don't necessarily pop up on the public server. Virtual units and other "core groups" can make sure you have scheduled MP time, if that suits you.

SB, in general, is also not a "sit down and play MP for 30 minutes" type experience. It takes some time to a) set up the players, b) get the game started, then c) plan and execute the game. That said, it's a ton of fun when it goes well, and one of the most engaging MP experiences I've ever had. (Been playing since 2003.)

In short: it's not really "popular," but has very high rewards if you invest the time to learn and play.

Actually...if you decide fast enough...you can buy it for US$ 100.- (No DVD and hardcopy manual included). So its a download version and dongle will be send. This is temporary (maybe few weeks) till eSIM has full stock of installation discs and new hardcopy manuals again.

Guest theGUNSLINGER

I would get teamspeak installed, run some training missions and when your somewhat comfortable enter teamspeak there always seems to be people in there and join up with them and have a blast :)

In addition to the standing Friday night game at 10 PM Eastern time, there are any number of campaign games held during the year. Also, ESim often hosts a Scenario Design contest and there are other one-off events like Top Tank Platoon, etc. You will get your money's worth!

I would get teamspeak installed, run some training missions and when your somewhat comfortable enter teamspeak there always seems to be people in there and join up with them and have a blast :)

I already have TS installed. Used it quite a bit (DH, PR, etc.).

What's the learning curve like?

Like I said... start with a pretty easy main battle tank. M1 or Leo2. Easy to learn. This is not a complicated flight simulation ;) From there you move on to other playables. The combination of learning the playables armour and learning how to use them with good tactics is the real game. Personally I think the tactics is the real challenge.

Tactics are always the tricky part.

Luckily I'm not a foreigner to armor tactics. :)

But, it's a game, so learning to use the appropriate tactics within the game engine will be interesting.

ATGMs piss me off, though. They are like the sucker punchers of the battlefield.

Ah, tis Gibson!

Hello fellow BFC forum poster!

I actually think you linked the posts to those SB vids I saw on youtube (in the CMx2 vs. APOS thread) recently.

Thanks for pushing me to finally take that step. :D

If it's someone else:

Hello, buddy. Want a cup o' coffee?

No that's me (although I don't recall the thread - not that its important).

Glad you decided to buy a copy.

If you do want to borrow a license just let me know.

I'm thinking though the coffee might get cold by the time I got there. :)

Hehe, good to see a "familiar face".

It was actually Destraex1 that posted those links, but I remember you've talked about SB before in the CMSF forums.

My dongle will be here soon enough, just need to get my hype on and watch some gameplay videos. :)

Also, I find the word "dongle" slightly amusing.

I've watched all Zipuli's videos in preperation for my purchase. :D

Was at my mother's house for christmas, and my family weren't too happy about me watching videos on the internet instead of interacting with their silly antics.

I'll watch all that I can.

How's the download and install? Was kinda confusing with so many patches, etc. on the list.

Well very simple since you are starting from fresh (not that I found upgrading hard).

Just:

1. Install Direct X 9.0c (regardless of whether you have Direct X 11 or something else already on your machine).

2. Grab the files from the links on the "home" page and put them in a folder somewhere.

3. Run the first segment of the download (that will create the installer).

4. If you have Vista or Windows 7 - Run the installer "as administrator" (a choice when you right click on it).

5. Accept the options. That will install SB Pro PE and the CodeMeter software.

6. Wait for the dongle (since you aren't worried about waiting for it).

7. Put the dongle in a powered USB hub / or a port on the machine and head for the Tutorials. :)

There maybe (just my guess) a hotfix out once the holidays finish to address some "minor" (IMHO) issues and that will either:

a. Install over the top of what you have just made above, or

b. Ask you to uninstall and re install (if its big enough to be a complete new copy).

Hmm.. Install Direct X 9.0c...

That seems a bit drastic? :P

Did I see 3D troops in the teaser!?

Are they coming, or were they just something else?

Saw them a couple of times, most clearly exiting a BTR-70/80 (Wasn't looking at the BTR, was looking at the soldiers).

Hmm.. Install Direct X 9.0c...

That seems a bit drastic? :P

Well that is what it uses.

I believe the issue is that Microsloth removed something from 9.0c when it went to "10" or "11" (or whatever they currently use). The hope is they will put the "something" back in for "12" and then this install wont be required.

If you don't install it, it wont run - simple really.

Did I see 3D troops in the teaser!?

Are they coming, or were they just something else?

Saw them a couple of times, most clearly exiting a BTR-70/80 (Wasn't looking at the BTR, was looking at the soldiers).

Yes, sprites "out", 3D "in".

That's one of the "big" things in 2.640 (if you like Infantry). :)

Heh, no biggie. Direct X is easy to install.

I don't know what I'm currently using, although I suspect it's 11.

Oh, lord. 3D infantry...

My erection is back.

I love infantry! This will add a lot to the immersion, me thinks.

I have this eerie feeling that I won't regret buying SB.