Welcome to Steelbeasts.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

GaryOwen

Vietnamese T-55 variants: Off topic from 2.640 thread

Sure, I know thay had at least two T-55 variants (or Chinese copy) based on the footage of the "liberation" of the Presidential Palace:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3543060046731551771#

But I'll stop there at the risk of this thread spiralling too far OT. :)

Looking at the video, it seems that the second of the two vehicles is actually a PT-76 with a T-55 or Type 59 turret. Look at the running gear.

Awards

Hmm thats weird! I never seen anything like it before.. But i guess if they win the vietnam war , they might as well PT-77/t-55 hybrid right while there at it..

Looking at the video, it seems that the second of the two vehicles is actually a PT-76 with a T-55 or Type 59 turret. Look at the running gear.

Yes there's 3 discrete vehicles there.

The first one that blocks the gate and the guy (who just happens to have a flag on him) gets off.

The second to the left of the guy with the flag.

These are both T-55s.

The third (after the cut) that makes it through the gate and drives in with the flag on the antenna is a PT-76 / variant (tracks are much thinner than the previous two and the glacis plate is different to the "second" one).

Awards

Agreed for the third one just couldn't remember it, hence the "PT-76 / variant" comment.

The first two vehicles though have MBT tracks.

Awards