I have short freezes (pause) of display...

McDaniel

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Okay. So we can at least rule out this option. I still think that it is somehow network related, but of course that's just speculation on my part. I COULD ask one of the programmers to look into this, but it may turn out to be a rather time consuming witch hunt that I would like to avoid if it isn't too pressing for you.

• Members
Caching is disabled for the CM stick. Does that matter?

Nothing gets written to the CM stick with the sole exception of firmware updates and new licenses. So, I don't think that this matters.

These are micro-freezes. They last maybe a 10th of a second.

Well, in that case these are probably symptoms of the AAR logging. It should happen more often, but maybe your HDD has a large built-in cache or Windows is delaying the writing to an amount that then causes this slight delay.

My recommendation is to leave things as they are and wait for the PE upgrade after next (we have already scheduled AAR disk write optimizations in the work plan, but that won't fit into the development pipeline for the coming upgrade).

If you like tinkering with your computer and feel somewhat experimental you may want to research how to adapt disk write caches. But it's much easier to make things worse than to improve them in this area. And you'll be on your own. No guarantees. No money back.

These are the kind of stunts done by professionals. Don't try them at home.

You have been warned.

• 1 month later...

Apologies for bringing this back up again. I just wanted to state that I'm also having regular freezes since beginning with the sim yesterday.

The freezes are half a second perhaps, and occur at regular intervals during execution.

I should also add that I didn't have any issues to begin with, but progressively throughout today it has increased in severity (I've been playing all day so far).

It's not a show stopper, merely an annoyance at this time.

I also thought it may be read/write or a network issue (I'm using hamachi at the moment), but I'll continue to look into it.

ok just a little more on this.

I set a mission running (just one of the M1 TC tutorials), and had SB windowed, and was monitoring Codemeter, Hamachi, and something called SBProPEcm processes specifically in resource monitor.

The spikes in activity occur every two minutes wherever I am in SB, but they only cause pauses in the 3d view during execution phase. ie. I can pause the 3d view and continually move my mouse around with no pauses occurring. Likewise if I drop to map view.

The pause coincides exactly with a large spike in activity on all 3 processes.

I timed the pauses with a stopwatch, hitting lap for each pause, they're roughly 2min intervals, give or take a second (that maybe me though!). But I can reliably 'allow' for it, ie. Leave my stop watch running and not take any long range shots at the wrong time!

Hamachi peaks by the most. CodeMeter, and SBProPEcm both disappear completely from the list within a minute after the spike, and then reappear with the next spike.

So presumably this is a recurring license check. Obviously until I get my dongle I can't know if it is specifically network related, the interruption could be caused by CM looking for a USB dongle, for example? No idea.

I'm pretty sure that it IS the license check over the network. Obviously, with a local stick there will be no latency issues.

Why would any software product need to be checking every two minutes for a license? :confused:

Is there some way of moderating this to be less obtrusive to being able to use SB?

I've noticed similar latency issues, even when on our local 1 Gb LAN...

Thanks .. :)

Regards,

Doug

Well I suspect the frequency of checking is set by Codemeter, not eSim.

Maybe it's a variable that can be set within the CodeMeter software, which is spec'd by eSims as to the two minute value?

It would be nice to find out if that can be altered to stop the every 2 minutes pregnant pauses. ;)

Regards,

Doug

I just checked with Process Monitor, and both the AAR writing and the network activity (presumably for license checking) both happen on two minute intervals. I've noticed occasional short pauses myself and never really thought about it much until now, but later today I'll do this again with PM running and see if I can correlate the pauses with an recorded event.

The first image is the over-all system activity as I start SPProPE, drive around a bit on the Tanks201 scenario, and then exit:

8447701111_3982d28324_o_d.png

Next is just SBPro's activity:

8447701149_bf9370aef3_o_d.png

And finally the CodeMeter activity:

8447701187_7fb00f7e49_o_d.png

I've also been looking more into the AAR processes. To be honest it's easy to see what's being read/written and when, although I've found that played in 3d view with no time accel my AAR (amongst a couple of other hidden system logs) are being written every other minute for about a minute. The network activity spikes still at every 2mins, I can't see any real pattern between the two in relation to freezing in the game.

My feeling now is it is log file/aar. I played through a whole 15 minutes with time acceleration on and I didn't get any pauses at all (but could still see the activity spikes), but during that time the log files and AAR was being constantly written rather than intermittently. If it was codemeter this pause would be seen everywhere and in any mode. It's not apparent in the map, in aar playback, or at full time acceleration.

• Members
Why would any software product need to be checking every two minutes for a license? :confused:
There are reasons, but we may review them to see if we can do a bit about it. Can't promise it for the coming PE release, but maybe some time after that.
Is there some way of moderating this to be less obtrusive to being able to use SB?

Not for you.

Received my dongle today, have been playing for several hours since without a single instance of the pause re-occurring.

Nothing else has changed, I've just added the dongle and switched off hamachi.

The sim also loads a lot quicker.

So for the issue I was having that is pretty conclusive, I'm aware that elsewhere in this thread someone still had the issue even with a dongle.

Nothing else has changed, I've just added the dongle and switched off hamachi.

You might want to "clean up" and remove the IP address I gave you to put in Codemeter.

The sim also loads a lot quicker.

I think that's because it checks locally for the license now, not "all the way" (from your POV) to me (via who knows what sort of connections in between).