Leopard 2E and DM12 MZ-ammunition

maddin

Hello

I designed a scenario where I use the spanish Leo 2E but using german ammunition, the DM53 (APFSDT) and DM12 (MZ). The interesting observation was that I can't get a proper hit with the DM12 ammuniton. It seems that the DM12 shoot's about twice the the actual range.

The ammunition works with the other Leo 2. Did I missed something? Normally the spanish Leopard 2 should be able to shoot the DM12.

Best regards

Martin

• Members

The Leopardo indeed is a bit of an aberration. I'm not sure how much I am at liberty to discuss the background. Let's just say that the Spanish Army had different ideas about one fundamental assumption in 2008 than we had in 1998, which resulted in a fixed set of ballistic data in the Leopardo 2E's fire control computer irrespective of the ammo loaded. So you have to adapt and overcome through practice.

Extract from Leopardo 2E tutorial (21 Leo 2E Gunnery E - HEAT)

Note: The Leopardo 2E has no data input into the ballistic computer for the DM12 round, and this round shares ballistic data with the Slsgr 95 HE round. As the two types of ammunition have very different velocities, the HEAT round will fly over the target if the actual range is input into the ballistic computer. To hit a target with this type of round a reduced range must be programmed into the Fire control system, or set on the Auxiliary sight:

Obtain or estimate the correct range to the target.

Using the auxiliary sight (F3) set a range of half the range to the target on the HE scale, then engage as normal, allowing slightly less lead.

Or if you want to use the TIS mode of the GPS (F2), then set half the lased range using a manual range input onto the computer control panel to the gunner's right.

At very long ranges over 3km, a range of slightly more than half may be required.

The Leopardo is not normally equipped with HEAT rounds, and only retains a nominal capability to fire them should they require emergency supplies from an allied force also using the NATO 120mm smoothbore.