How to install skins

RogueSnake79

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now, take notice of each file inside. The M1A1 bmp. is the texture that covers the whole of the exterior model. Its what you see from a 3rd person perspective.

The roof texture is what you see from the comanders position, un-buttoned.

T156track, is of course the track. And m1mine is the texture that covers the mine plow attachment when its used.

Next step is to work your way here.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\mods\textures

step2.jpg.2f16927dc6c069c30db15b631f947b

step2.jpg.2f16927dc6c069c30db15b631f947b

You'll notice other files in my picture, and a folder titled "Red".

The other files are skins for other vehicles I have downloaded, and installed.

Now, the red folder. This folder is for vehicles on the red team. If you've played any scenerios at all, you've noticed that there are always two teams. A Blue team, which is almost always you in single player. And a Red team, which is often the bad guys.

This red folder is for the bad guys :) The reason we have this red folder is to alow both teams to use the same vehicle, yet have different skins.

So if you download 2 different skins for the Abrams, you can put one in the main desert folder, and one in the red desert folder. And you won't have to worry about killing your own guys.

Where is the blue folder? Well, my last pic shows it. Once you enter the desert folder, your in the blue folder.

All I have stated goes for any skin, for any vehicle. Winter, Desert, Woodland. Just find the appropriate folder and paste.

And always put mods in the mods folder. Do not place any mod files in the games main directory.

The mod folder is there to keep you from having to back any files up. When the game starts loading a mission, and it looks for the skins, it looks in the mods folder first.

If it finds anything, it uses it. If it doesn't, it goes to the main install, and loads them.

Its pretty simple. I hope this helps.

What happens if you have multiple skins for the same tank and want to switch them over occasionally. Is there an easy way to do this or do you just have to resort to lots of copying and pasting ? I looked at the skinner 2 utility but do not understand fully how to set it up even after reading the readme.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Guys, I don't have a mods folder in my main SB Pro PE folder - do I need to create it?

I tried creating it - just like RS79s pics explained - but still no show in the sim...

Does my version need to be patched up or something to see the mods folder?

• 4 weeks later...

AFAIK TK, the sky mods are different.

You need to put them directly into the main SBProPE folder (the hidden one), and rename the one you want to use so that it replaces the original (IIRC the original filename is d5 except for low vis settings and possibly different for the desert themes).

It's a while since I did it and can't remember the exact filepath, but it's fairly easy to find.

Sorry I can't give you presice details offhand.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the advice on skins however would you be able to explain where I should put the terrain maps I have downloaded for SB Pro PE?

I have searched the forums and cannot find any info on this. Also I have checked all my folders for the maps and cannot find them, neither any files with the xx.ter extension.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Kalli

Thanks for the advice on skins however would you be able to explain where I should put the terrain maps I have downloaded for SB Pro PE?

I have searched the forums and cannot find any info on this. Also I have checked all my folders for the maps and cannot find them, neither any files with the xx.ter extension.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Kalli

Check Here:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=6417

COMMON_APPDATA: The directory containing application data for all users.

A typical path is “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\eSim

Games\Steel Beasts”. The COMMON_APPDATA directory contains

Map files (Height and Terrain)

Common (shared) scenario files

The Application Data directory is a hidden directory so you may have to tell windows to let you "see" it.